“What a hidden gem!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 108 Hotels in Tulsa
Cincinnati, Ohio
“What a hidden gem!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2012

We were put up on the Mayo by KJRH TV when we went for startegic meetings. We also had a special meal they had planned. OMG, I could not believe what an absolutely phenomenal meal we had and service was so attentive and professional. The food was beautiful and delicious! Then KJRH was gracious to let us stay at the Mayo too. The rooms were GREAT and gorgeous and the beds allowed a perfect nights sleep. Astounding refurbished historical hotel that was a delight to stay in, even for business!! Would love to go back, stay longer and enjoy Tulsa and the hotel for pleasure!! Thank you KJRH and the Mayo!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank TWakeman-44

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Nashua, New Hampshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

There is no doubt this hotel is quite pretty and is great for events. However, if you are a business traveler, it is not the best choice. While they do offer rooms with kitchens, ect. most business travelers are not cooking/eating in their rooms. They have a small breakfast/coffee shop that serves mostly pastries and baked goods with a very small selection of foods and breakfast items. There is no store for small incidentals and you can't just grab a quick cup of tea. If you do go to the breakfast place for something you also can't charge to your room and they are owned and operated separately.

The regular restaurant is quite good but open very limited hours and cater to events/dinners and such. If you are here for a wedding or cocktail party, it is quite nice but if you are town for business, this is not the best choice. You also have to bring patience...this my 4th time staying here and while the staff is alway friendly and eager to help, they don't have much staff on duty at any time...so if there is a long line due to a lot of people checking in, you just have to wait. Again, great hotel for event but not efficient business hotel.

Room Tip: If you don't like noise, ask for a higher floor.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Christine S
Tulsa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2012

Having lived in Tulsa for the past 20 years, my husband and I have been aware of the history and transformation of the Mayo Hotel but just recently stayed as guest at the hotel for an anniversay surprise. "Wow" sums up our experience! The staff was welcoming and helpful upon our arrival. Our room was spacious and beautifully decorated, with a great view of the downtown Tulsa skyline. Our dinner at Trula was one of the best we've had in Tulsa in quite some time -- the lobster mac' 'n cheese is to die for! We even had nice breezy weather to enjoy an after dinner drink on the rooftop at the Penthouse bar. All in all the owners and staff of the Mayo Hotel should be proud to be part of bringing back to life a priceless piece of Tulsa history and making it a part of the wonderful revitalization and future of Tulsa's downtown!

We've decided to make our stay at the Mayo Hotel an annual tradition!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Susan B
Loves Park, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

"Wow" was my first impression as I walked into my room at the Mayo. I had a corner unit, and even though one side had a nice view of the roof top a/c units, the other had a great view of the city. The bathrooms were incredible and the shower was fantastic! As a tall guy (6'6"), I always love a place that has high shower heads, but certainly appreciate the three shower head system the Mayo has! The bed was incredibly comfortable and I appreciated the little things like upscale shower amenities, free bottled water, and an alarm clock with iPhone/iPod dock.

I really hope management continues to work on service with the hotel. My check in experience was great-- the employee helped me locate bars and places to go. The check out experience felt like I was bothering the employee. Since this is the last impression you leave your guests, I really hope they ensure this is a smooth as checkin in the future.

The rooftop bar was okay-- it's got such great potential! Some trendier seating (think aloft Hotels courtyards) inside and out could really turn this area into a draw, but it just felt like it was the last thought of the hotel to me.

Overall, I loved this hotel and will be staying here again on my next pass through Tulsa.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
, Guest Relations Manager at The Mayo Hotel, responded to this review, June 21, 2012
It is great to hear that someone who is 6'6" can fit in a shower that was modeled back in the 1920's! I am also glad to hear that our front desk workers did everything they could to make sure you knew of all the hot spots in town. Its tricky down here because downtown is finally taking off but you have to know where to go in order to find the crowd. Please feel free to contact me the next time you are in town and I will make sure the entire length of your stay is great all around.

Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2012

Don't rent a suite here unless you want to be harassed by the staff. We had a few friends at the suite and had the music low but this staff member came up and told everyone to leave. Extremely rude to me and my friends. The room was advertised as a place for you and your friends to hang out. Not true.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else, I've heard the Ambassador is nice.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Crystal F
I am sorry that your stay was not as pleasant as you were wishing. We, just like most hotels, have a noise policy during quiet hours. If the staff had to come and tell everyone to leave it was because other guests in the hotel had complained your room was being too loud.

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2012

The Mayo Hotel is a beautifully restored property, but it lacks the sophistication you would expect for the prices that they cahrge. First, the valet service is extremely poor. They had no problem taking our car from us but after 10 minutes of waiting on the curb with our things, my wife and I had to go track down our own bell cart and take our own things to the room.

We stayed in a Mayo Suite, which was spacious, clean, and included a full kitchen. Only one problem; no dishes, glasses, or silverware. I'm not sure if those items could have been obtained from housekeeping, but I don't understand them offering a $200/night suite with a kitchen but not having that room stocked with the necessities to utilize that space.

We stayed overnight at the Mayo for a wedding and upon checkout we observed that several people in our group that had valet parked their car for the evening had their cars retuned with significant damage. Not door dings, but basketball sized dents in quarter panels and long scrapes down the side where the vehicle had been checked in to a concrete wall. This is somehting that you would expect to be reported to the owner of the car right away and not the next morning when you retrieve the car from the valet.

Ultimately, I would recommend that you avoid this hotel. It is not worth the money and the service is sub-par at best.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Okie86
I am glad to hear you got to enjoy one of our nicest suites. Due to pots and pans coming up missing we have had to order all new sets and should be arriving soon. The sets that we have are available upon request and we have no problem bringing those up right away for you.
The car situation is one that in inexcusable but we have paid for the damage caused to both vehicles. Please feel free to contact me if there is anything I can do to help the situation.

los angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

THIS IS DEFINITELY THE BEST HOTEL IN TULSA - really wonderful place to stay - nice people, great rooms, really great prices, really comfortable mattresses, really great TVs, all around a great, great experience. Only place we will be staying in Tulsa from now on!

Room Tip: The suites are gigantic - really bigger than you need and more like an apartment - maybe not necessa...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jace P, Guest Relations Manager at The Mayo Hotel, responded to this review, May 31, 2012
Jeremy,

Thank you for your kind words regarding your stay. I have shared this with all my employees and they couldn't be happier. Next time you are in Tulsa we look forward to having you back and don't hesitate to ask how we can make that stay even better than the first.

918-582-6296