“Nicely done retro hotel in Tulsa”
Review of The Mayo Hotel

The Mayo Hotel
Ranked #17 of 109 Hotels in Tulsa
Reviewed March 26, 2012

As many have pointed out, this is a restored 1920s hotel in downtown Tulsa. Cool lobby and the rooms are fantastic. We stayed in a suite and it was very spacious with contemporary furniture. If you've ever stayed at a Magnolia, like the one in Dallas, its that same look/feel. Its true, there isn't much going on in the immediate vicinity of the hotel, its really a business district. However, don't let that bother you too much because its really easy to get around Tulsa by car or shuttle. We were there for a concert so it was a perfect location for us. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The bartender at the downstairs restaurant was great, even serving us a drink after the bar was supposedly closed. Tulsa has some charming pockets to explore and we only hit a couple of them including the Utica Square shopping area and nearby park. The only slight negative I have is the rooftop bar. Yes, its a great concept but we visited it after our concert and although there were a fair amount of people there, it was by no means near capacity and it was very clear that we weren't going to get a drink any time soon as the bar was 4 rows deep and I saw noone waiting on the tables. So we went back downstairs. I'd also say that my first impression of the bar was more sports bar-like than a more upscale hotel bar with impeccable service. All that said, I would definitely stay here again for the rooms and staff!

Room Tip: Go for the suite
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 11, 2012

I travel many times during the year, mostly for business. I travel to both large cities and small communities so I often check Tripadvsior for hotel reviews and hints of things to do while in town. I have learned that no two people are going to review the same. Just like when you ask two people who went to a party "How was the party?", one may tell you it was the party of the year and while the other person says it was boring, the music sucked and all the girls were ugly!!
This was my first trip to Tulsa and expected it to be a dirty, hick, old oil town. I was pleasantly surprised. Not only did I find interesting sights & sounds within walking distance, I also met some friendly and interesting people. Luckily, I rolled the dice on the poor reviews citing poor service, over-pricing, noisy, etc of the Mayo. I stayed at the Mayo for 3 nights. I LOVE this hotel! For anyone traveling to Tulsa, I say stay at the Mayo at least once and decide for yourself. I found the property to be very classy and yes HIP! The Conrads and Sheratons I have stayed at have nothing over the Mayo yet charge considerably more per night.The room was huge and decorated beautifully. It had 2 huge TVs, a comfortable king bed and pillows. I was there for weeknights so there was no nightlife to speak of but, I expected that. I walked over to Arnies in the Blue Dome district (short walk), ate Mexican food at another restaurant and finished most sight seeing evenings off with a glass of red wine at Trula Bistro & Bar in the lobby of the Mayo. Drinks at any hotel bar are pricey so, if you don't want to pay extra for the convenience of a lobby bar , walk outside the hotel and around the corner or down the street there are plenty of little watering holes to suit most any class of people. The ultimate way that I rate hotels, eateries or cities is "would this be a place I would like to bring my beautiful to?" The Mayo receives a big YES as does does Tulsa. I think we would have a great time here for a weekend getaway.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank stepwedge
Reviewed January 30, 2012

As I’m sure you’ve already read, the Mayo is a beautifully restored hotel in downtown Tulsa. My husband stayed there for business and then suggested we visit for a romantic getaway.

Location

Unless you’re attending an event at the BOK, there doesn’t seem to be a lot going on in the area at night. That was fine, we weren’t looking for nightlife, but if you’re hoping for a base that allows you to walk to a lot of fun and interesting places, you might be disappointed. The lobby is gorgeous – even the elevators are a work of art. It was surprisingly empty, though.

Room

The rooms are spacious and lovely. We reserved a standard king room. Our door opened onto a large foyer (large for a hotel, anyway) which included two closets (though one was locked) and a kitchenette/wet bar area with a large mini fridge, coffeemaker, microwave, and small sink. There were no dishes or glassware other than coffee cups. It took me a few minutes to figure out that the ice container in the mini fridge was removable and served as our ice bucket. The room itself featured a desk with desk chair, a comfy chair with ottoman, another side chair, the bed, a billion fluffy pillows, and a large TV. There was also a ceiling fan, which was a nice unexpected touch. The sink area had a raised vessel sink, Bath and Body Works toiletries, a hair dryer, and a lighted magnifying mirror. Unfortunately, lighting in this area was truly dismal, and the lighted mirror wasn’t much better. I know the Mayo is a popular spot for weddings, but I wouldn’t plan on putting on your wedding makeup in this location. The toilet and shower are in a separate room. Some of the higher priced suites have separate bathtubs, but standard rooms only have a shower. It’s quite a shower, though, with two wall-mounted shower heads in addition to the one overhead. Sadly, one of the heads is right at face-level if you’re 5’ 2”, but they can be turned off.

We had no complaints about the service, but we hadn’t requested any extras. We did not use the valet parking (there was an empty parking lot catty corner to the hotel which may only be empty on weekends). The only weird thing was that, when we checked in, the desk clerk asked if we’d ever visited the penthouse/rooftop bar and suggested we try it out. We did, but at one point the manager told us we were welcome to stay, but there was a private party being held. I wasn’t sure if he meant “I can’t toss you out but we’d kind of prefer you leave,” or “just wanted to let you know you’re welcome even though there’s also a private party.” Also, I had requested a high floor and we were placed on the 5th. It wasn’t important enough to pursue further.

Eats and Drinks

As I said, we did visit the rooftop bar. It’s a beautiful setting. The interior is dark and cozy with living room type seating as well as tables. It was too chilly to hang outside, but that was a gorgeous setting as well, though it would have been more gorgeous if the railing didn’t obscure the city lights. Service was fine, prices were (of course) high – we paid about $15 for one beer and one mixed drink. We had breakfast at the hotel’s coffee shop the next morning. They had many offerings, but my chai latte and ham and cheese croissant sandwich were both kind of bland.

The Bottom Line

I’ve stayed in other downtown Tulsa hotels and the Mayo really outdoes them. The price was not bad, considering the competition. I’m sure we will be back.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TravelinTracy
Reviewed January 24, 2012

Not all of the rooms here are as enormous, but if you're lucky enough to get one of these huge converted apartments, enjoy! Tons of space, great bathroom, full kitchen, and 2 huge Sony TVs...The service is friendly and sharp. There's a nice bar and they tell me a great rooftop deck that's open Weds-Sun... It has a brilliant spacious lobby, full of nice stonework. Nice location downtown as well.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank fozzetti
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Great building with much of the original interior flare. Rooms are large & beds are comfortable. Weddings abound so, if you're not either in the wedding or attending it, don't bother. We have stayed our last time..3 times over the last 5 years and there were weddings on each stay. They just "clog up the system" & the staff has no clue. Our last stay, our most troubling anecdote was we waited 30 minutes before we could have your car back and I had called for it 30 minutes before that?

Staff needs guidance in ALL departments. We have experienced most, if not al of the complaints listed by others. I don't think it's incompetence, just lack of training for a historical hotel of much dinero in Tulsa.

Facilities and accommodations: excellent, services and support: poor = Average

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank AwlBidnz
Reviewed October 21, 2011

Recently, we stayed at the Mayo Hotel to attend a family wedding. I chose the Mayo because of it's convenient location in relation to the venue for the wedding and because it was necessary for me to conduct business while I was in Tulsa as well. I felt it's location was very central to all the things we had to accomplish during that weekend. First & foremost, the Mayo staff was outstanding. We were catered to in every respect and sincerely appreciated the shuttle service provided to us getting to and from the wedding! The Mayo staff went out of their way to accommodate us and our hectic schedule! In addition to the wedding, the individuals who were scheduled to meet with me for business later in the day were delayed and we were forced to meet directly within our suite due to the late hour. I have to say, I was thankful we rented the "Mayo Suite," as it accommodated our late night business meeting with comfort and ease (7 business men & women) and still provided privacy for my daughter away from the professionals. Overall, my satisfaction with the Mayo was only hindered by the functionality of the room's facilities. Though very tastefully decorated in the Art Deco style, the bathrooms are somewhat inconvenient in their design and the water didn't run nearly hot enough. The rooms are definitely designed for beauty over functionality! In the morning when I went to utilize the in-room coffee maker, it wasn't working properly which left coffee all over the counter and none for the coffee cup. No matter what, the historic beauty of the Mayo, the outstanding hospitality of it's staff and the comfort provided by the HEAVENLY bed were enough to win us over! Truly a luxurious stay in downtown Tulsa!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 21, 2011

Excellent: valet, door men, check in people. Lobby.. bed.. shower,
Good: room size, food at pricey in house restaurant
Fair: room amenities. no paper or pens(day three they appeared) bottle water only on two days, hair dryer bag appeared on fifth day.. air condition noise
Poor: no utensiles for "kitchen".. microwave,refrig(not cold).. penthouse patio/bar(disappointing ) Crowd and noise control from party bus and drunks another night in front of lobby(two sleepless nights out of five)
We did have a front street facing room, yet the drunk crowd was inside the hotel also. Would not srta here again... No decent restaraunt other than pricey hotel .. area shuts down after business hours. Better choices around at about half price.

Room Tip: Go some where else OR ask for a back of the hoel room.. do not take Fifth st facing rooms
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple