“rooftop bar overpriced and charges "large party gratuity" randomly”
Review of The Mayo Hotel

The Mayo Hotel
Ranked #18 of 108 Hotels in Tulsa
Tulsa
“rooftop bar overpriced and charges "large party gratuity" randomly”
Reviewed September 1, 2011

rooftop bar: i attended a birthday party, solo, and was charged a "large party gratuity" on top of the more-than-gracious tip that i left. called manager and was "told" it would be refunded. called back two weeks later - after it had not been refunded - and was told by a very rude manager that 'judging from my tab, that i was a large party" and she claimed that as i was rude, ( and eventually i had to be to get a word in edgewise ), that she would not refund that gratuity.

i'm checking with others, but am certain that they charged everyone that night this 'gratuity'.

the view is not that great anyway, as the obstructing cement railings are as high as their prices.

service area at bar is small, prices are high, and apparently the management does not care about their guest complaints. save your money and find another place.

oh, and check your bill closely !!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
7 Thank Manus T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed August 28, 2011

I was traveling through Oklahoma for business and I decided to stay at the Mayo. I made reservation on the phone. When I arrived, the person at the front desk claimed that there was no such reservation. I told her that I made the reservation on the phone and she snobbishly told me "are you sure it was ``The Mayo'' hotel?". As if I could made a reservation somewhere else and stopped at the wrong one... especially with such a name! I should have replied "Oh, no, sorry, I'm wrong, it was the Mustard hotel", but I wasn't ready enough. So, I simply replied that that was correct. She continued claiming that she had no reservation, then she asked a colleague and it turns out that my name had been misspelled also by the person who took the reservation. The person at the front desk then proceeded to check me in, without apologising, and without saying anything else to me except for "I need your id", "your credit card" and "here is your key". I was like "whoa! This is so rude!"., but again I didn't say anything. The next morning another person at the reception desk treated me in a similar way when I asked for directions to have breakfast.

Now, the hotel and the rooms are very nice. The room itself is spacious, stylishly decorated albeit a bit on the dark side. The bed is white, fluffy and comfy and I would have enjoyed my night, if it were not for the fact that the heating system is very loud. The bathroom too are stylish and nice.

Also, some other people of the staff were helpful. The doorman was very friendly, he told me that I could park in the street for free and avoid 20 $ valet charge and greeted me with a smile all the times that I came and went.

But the behavior of the people at the reception desk is inexcusable. This goes to say that as much as you can make a hotel beautiful and nice, the rude behavior of some employees is enough to make you remember that instead of the happy night you spent there. The one star reflects the behaviour of the staff, not the quality of the room.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
9 Thank Mar_hab60974
Corpus Christi, Texas
Reviewed August 21, 2011

Tried to think of a reason to not give an excellent. All I could think of is that it was very quiet and I usually like more people and activity around, I'm sure that's a plus for most. My wife and I stayed in the least expensive room (around 180), as seasoned travelers we found it excellent. Visited the penthouse bar, it's nice with a decent view, but again, very quiet with only one other visitor. This was around 6PM. Afterwards walked a couple of blocks to see Keith Urban at the BOK, outstanding venue in walking distance from an outstanding hotel. I'll definitely stay here if I visit Tulsa again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
USA
Reviewed August 21, 2011

The Mayo is a great boutique hotel and definitely the star of downtown Tulsa. For an old hotel that's been remodeled, the room was surprisingly spacious, as well as the bathroom and shower. Excellent bed and linens plus a huge flat screen TV. If there's one area to critique, it's the service. It wasn't bad, but the staff could definitely take things up a notch or two.

If you're attending an event at the BOK Center, the location can't be beat. Quality restaurants in the immediate area are few and far between.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 10, 2011

My wife and I travel alot! We have not spent much time in the southwest but the Mayo Hotel and their employess really made this a great vacation. Some friends of ours from California are originally from the Tulsa area and suggested we visit. Well despite the insane heat, the comfort of the hotel was quite warming. Upon arrival we were greeted by 2 very kind gentlemen. Sure we had to pay for vallet but compaired to over hotels, very very affordable. Let me tell you...walking into that hotel was breath taking. Before arriving we did some reasearch on the hotel. The renovation was exquisite. The family did a wonderful job preserving such a historic property. Check in went very smooth and the hotel rooms...well let's just say that is ONE of the best parts of the hotel. My wife and I were hungry so we ventured down to their restaurant Trula. I guess it was in the middle of their lunch and dinner shift but Kris (bar manager?) was very accommodating. He was telling us a little history of the hotel as well as the city. Kris also eccouraged us to have a drink at their Penthouse Bar. Their rooftop bar has got to be their center piece of the hotel. The ambience is very special up there. The variety of spirits, as well as beer is an A+ in my book. Sure they don't have the much space but they are doing very well for what the have. Oh ya, to the owners...one drink well and no dishwasher? Come on. Anyways we had a very enjoyable time there and very much see ourselves staying there and telling all of our friends about this place. Thank you Tulsa! And to the credit card guy....MOST hotels have cards policies like that. Dont get you panties in a wad because you forgot your card.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alakai J
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 26, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Mayo Hotel on July 21-23 2011. We were in Tulsa to attend a relatives wedding. Since we were bringing our 2 kids we had reserved a suite. The suite was spacious and had a separate living area with a sleeper sofa. The living area also had a wet bar with a mini refrigerator and ice maker. My only complaint with the room was the AC unit was very loud. You had to turn the TV volume up every time the unit kicked in. One another note; since I have back issues I always travel with prescription pain medication. Thankfully, on this trip I did not need them. However, when I returned home and was unpacking I noticed that my pain medicine was missing from my Dopp kit. Our room had a safe and we used it for our valuables. I guess I should have put my meds in as well.

Room Tip: Use the room safe
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Texassloth
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed July 23, 2011

I know it's my fault for leaving my card at the bar on a Friday night, I get that part.
But I was surprised to learn when I went back for the card on Saturday morning that they would not be able to return the card to me until Monday.
The reason, according to the woman who 'helped', was because workers at the Penthouse bar drop cards and the like in a safe after Friday nights, and no one can retrieve them until Monday morning.
This is a problem as I am in from out of town and won't be in Tulsa after the weekend (it does seem like a problem that might pop up from time to time- at a HOTEL).
I had to cancel the card, which needless to say puts a crimp in some traveling options, and hope to receive a new one when I return home.
I don't believe that no one could access this mystery safe for two days, I just believe the people there weren't really interested in helping.
Thanks for screwing up my vacation, Mayo.

Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends