“WYSIWYG”
Review of Desert Hills Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tulsa
Desert Hills Motel
Ranked #72 of 108 Hotels in Tulsa
North Pole, Alaska
“WYSIWYG”
Reviewed March 31, 2012

costs rising I understand but it does not match the motel. Run down. Indian (India) family. When grandma knocks on your door in the morning you better give her your garbage. If you want new towels/washcloths/TP etc you better tell her or this is the last time today you get anything. I did not go out at night. TV available still (if prices continue to climb I would expect no tV). No fleas or bedbugs so that's good news. Grandpa was like the grim reaper moping around in the a.m. The Mrs. looked tired. The man in charge is a young business man. Smiles a lot especially when grandma tells him she needs something. I had more fun watching the family dynamics. They are okay, probably very close. They try to keep the motel to a level of minimal repair (costs are rising). So WYSIWYG.

Room Tip: Tulsa U is not far away. A few good wifi areas. They try to maintain cleanliness, esp., grandma. no...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Roshea1956

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
San Luis Obispo County, California
Reviewed March 29, 2012

To be fair, we didn't even make it the whole night. I went on a Route 66 road trip with my father, and we tried to stay in the more vintage "neon sign" motels along the way. After being spoiled by some of the more fun, novel, and lovely motels prior...this place was pretty darn tragic. Listen to the other reviews! We were greeted by a woman behind thick bullet-proof glass and this set the entire tone (they also offer "hourly rates," hint hint) The room was decent enough, no frills, not entirely clean, but still do-able. The door to the room didn't even close all the way properly and you could see OUTSIDE through the cracks when "closed." It was also clear that it had been forcibly opened before! There are people who obviously live at this motel, which is still fine, but when our "neighbor" (an obvious resident) was standing outside shaving, he was clearly taking inventory of our luggage as we were bringing it into the room and was not being at all discreet about waiting for us to go grab something to eat (so that our room...with our luggage in it...would be left vacant for an hour). I did not feel safe AT ALL and was also fearing for the safety of our possessions! I said "No dice!" and we ended up ditching out entirely, opting to stay at a "less nostalgic" but FAR nicer place about a half an hour up the road. Take a picture of the sign if you like, then step on the gas!

Room Tip: Go a half an hour up the road! Then you'll be fine!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Skullatone

Travelers are raving about these Tulsa hotels

Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed November 24, 2011

No worries with management or cleanliness, but something about this place just did not fit.... Perhaps we were spoilt with Route66 lovers, this has litlle to do with it, except that it happens to be on it. Went elsewhere for another nite in Tulsa.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kenguru62
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2011

My wife and I stayed here as part of our Route 66 honeymoon trip. The neon sign is great. Unfortunately not much else was. The service was poor. The owners were not friendly and did not appear to have any interest in Route 66. The sink in our room leaked all over the floor. I would recommend taking a picture of the sign and moving on. A dissapointment overall.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Richard T
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed September 4, 2011

Myself and a friend are staying here tonight. Yes I am writing this inside the room ! Our room is very dirty and disgusting. The bath is extremely dirty & the furniture in the room is dusty. The feeling is not nice. I would recommend not staying here at all. You get what you pay for !
The owners of the motel are very rude and non sociable

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Mark W
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2011

Me and my brother were doing route 66, and though this hotel/motel was $50 US per night it certainly felt that or less. The sheets had stains, the curtains cigarette holes burnt in them. The aircon wan't on when we arrived which was a shock been one of Tulsa's hottest days on record 112F when we arrived at 6pm. I am not sure if it was hotter in our out the room. We also had to change rooms as the lock on the door didnt work, so we swapped for next door. I have no problems with the check in/ front desk, they seemed polite etc. but this is super basic. Shower soap, and bed literally and not particularly clean. I was worried about security as its on main route 66 and the door was not really what I'd call secure even after we changed rooms. I didn't sleep particularly well due to this fact.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank LMTs-World
Lake Station, Indiana
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Rooms were big and good for a step back in time. I love mom & pop motels, and this one is in great shape. The area is kinda sketchy, but overall a good stay! Could be a little cleaner, but for what I paid I won't complain!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple