“Exhibition was excellent!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Philbrook Museum of Art

Philbrook Museum of Art
Ranked #1 of 114 things to do in Tulsa
More attraction details
Owner description: This vast art museum, housed in an Italian style villa, has numerous exhibits from European, American, Asian, Native American and African artists and is surrounded by acres of lush gardens.
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Exhibition was excellent!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed this museum when my parents were in town over Memorial Day. The current exhibition was Aphrodite and the Gods of Love. Beautifully presented. We also ate lunch and enjoyed our food although the prices were a bit high for a lunch portion. Nice grounds!

Visited May 2013

• Turkish first
Chesterfield, MO
219 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 358 helpful votes
“Always spectacular, but avoid hot days for touring the gardens!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

The Philbrook museum is housed in a 1926 mansion that was originally the home of Waite Phillips and is now an impressive art museum. It is a little hard to find since is located in a residential area, but worth the effort. There is a free parking lot including covered parking for those hot sunny days. It has a moderate amount of art, but a good selection of styles and periods. On the first floor, the mansion is more the attraction with the art being the main event on the second floor and basement. Offices, gift shop and restaurant are in an attached modern addition, so you get to see the entire mansion. For art lovers it is worth the visit, but the gardens are the main attraction. Unfortunately when I went it was over 100 degrees and the gardens were unbearable. Do not go on a hot day, you will be miserable (though the indoor museum is comfortable). Plan on spending about an hour in the mansion and at least an hour in the gardens. I paid $9 and it was worth it. There isn’t much there for kids, and the gardens are designed for walking and aren’t that kid friendly. Photography is allowed throughout the museum and gardens.
Don’t forget the Philbrook downtown, which is a completely different experience and is included in the admission. It is a rougher, contemporary loft style building (looks old, but I think is relatively new) with large galleries of Native American and modern art. Free street parking is located around the building that is on the North side of downtown in an arts district. There were photography restrictions downtown. The friendly staff gave me excellent directions to the downtown museum.

1 Thank jjctraveler
Emsworth, United Kingdom
109 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“Beautiful Italian villa”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

As it had been raining, I chose to visit first the gardens of this beautiful place before I walked through the museum itself. They are magnificent - terraced formal Italian gardens, with a rill, water features, a koi pond and thousands and thousands of sweet-smelling flowers. The air was alive with butterflies and bees. Just how they manage to maintain these 23 acres with only 5 gardeners is beyond me.

Dotted about the grounds are various sculptures, my favourite being of an Native American Chief with his hands raised to heaven, entitled 'Prayer'. There were also quite a lot of typically Italian cherubs and gods.

Inside the museum itself was a wide selection of art, some modern (which could not be photographed) and quite a lot of traditional Renaissance style paintings, religious art and icons, which could.

The delightful girls on the desk were friendly and helpful, and one offered me her own umbrella in case it should rain again, and also telephoned my hotel when i had finished so that the shuttle driver could collect me.

There is a well stocked shop and plenty of rest rooms.

My inexpensive ticket gave me free entry to Philbrook Downtown.

1 Thank balticbash
Clifton Park, New York
105 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 231 helpful votes
“It could have been a Vanderbuilt mansion.....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

The fact that this attraction is in Tulsa belies the fact that the owners were gilded - not unllike the Vanderbilts. The building and grounds are magnificent. And the artwork is one of a kind. The story of the Phillips family is wonderful and their philanthropy is to be admired. The price is a pitance - based on the value of the trappings. We visited on a Sunday, when there was a Sunday brunch going on. Looking down on the fixin's, I wished I did not have breakfast. I would go back to the Sunday festivities in a moment. Very crowded with people who love good food. Without the food, it is still a find. Do not miss it if you are in the Tulsa area.

1 Thank John I
Lees Summit
66 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 95 helpful votes
“Beautiful mansion and gardens”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

I visited this museum on the first weekend, so I could get free admission with my bank of America debit card. They offer it the first weekend of every month, it's pretty nice. So I got to go here for free, and it was a fantastic museum, it's very large with tons of art to look at. My favorite part were the gardens outside, the outside garden is really big to wander around in. The museum and most others are closed on Mondays and Labor Day so you have to try and cram everything into the weekend. I would highly recommend this museum, the mansion is beautiful and the gardens stunning.

Visited October 2012