“Astonishing museum.”
Review of Gilcrease Museum

Gilcrease Museum
Ranked #2 of 121 things to do in Tulsa
More attraction details
Owner description: The world's largest collection of art from the American West is housed at this museum, which is also well stocked with Native American artifacts and artwork. Thematic gardens reflect the gardening styles of different time periods.
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I had never heard of this museum and it was my first time in Tulsa. The museum is in a beautiful garden near the owner's original home (not opened). We went on the 2 pm tour and our guide was enthusiastic and knowledgeable. Really enjoyed the tour. This museum is huge and he highlighted the best. I really enjoyed the American Fine art and the Western art which is unparalleled. But, there is something for everyone. The personal history of Mr. Gilcrease was fascinating. Parking was easy and short walk to entrance.

All reviews
in 8 reviews
"gift shop"
in 16 reviews

Reviewed June 11, 2013

I felt completely harassed and was essentially followed by more than one of the museum employees. My 2-yr-old was in her stroller most of the time. I got her out a few times to show her some of the animals in paintings but I never touched anything. At least 4 times, I was warned not to touch anything (the warnings were not very polite, but were very insistent). One of the museum workers even hollered at me across the room saying that by pointing to the paintings I was teaching my daughter that it was ok to touch them. Needless to say, my time at the museum was very short, and I will not be going back. It was humiliating and insulting. I left in tears.

10  Thank 918mommy2
Reviewed May 31, 2013

This was a great visit to a wonderful place. The Western art is the best I have seen anywhere with outstanding sculpures and paintings. We enjoyed the Woodie Crumbo exhibit, a truly outstanding artist. Next time we are in town we will visit. The basement exhibit area was great. We spent more than 2 hours looking at artifacts and then reading more about them on the computer. Don't miss that.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I love the Gilcrease. It's one of my favorite art museums in Oklahoma. Don't miss free admission the first Tuesday of each month. They have a family art room that is worth checking out if you bring your children. My kids like checking out the art backpacks and doing the art scavenger hunts.

See more reviews
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We toured this museum on a recent trip to Tulsa and were impressed by the beauty of the building, size and diversity of the collection and knowledge of the docents. I recently toured the Native American museum at the Smithsonian and think the quality of the collection on display at the Gilcrease is better than what I saw in DC. If you have time, this is a must see stop in Tulsa.