“Warning to non-smokers-wear a gas mask and don't expect the "World"”
Review of Inn at Winstar

Inn at Winstar
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Thackerville
Abilene
“Warning to non-smokers-wear a gas mask and don't expect the "World"”
Reviewed July 27, 2011

I just returned from the Winstar Resort. I really want to write a good review but they make it very hard for me to do. First, I'll start with the hotel. It is very nice aesthetically. Everything is clean and orderly. The big issue here is the walls are paper-thin and I was able to hear the tv from the room next door and everything out in the hallway. So, to put it bluntly, if you plan on getting lucky at the hotel, you might want to re-think this. Now, onto the casino. I read beforehand the concerns of many gamblers stating the Winstar was tight on slots and I can confirm this. Remember, you are going there to gamble so if you think yu are going to hit it big, re-think! I played almost $300.00 and had almost enough credits on my card to pay for my breakfast at the "nicer" resturant there. Speaking of resturants, I'll start with this tip: If you are there to see a concert, you need to make reservations at the the "nicer" Grill or get there exrememly early to eat at one of the other resurants there. We ended up eating at The Panda Express because every other resturant was booked or had a line a mile long. We waited 20 minutes at the Sports Bar to even get acknowledged by a bartender. By the way, The Chinese Food was just fine-quick service as well. Concert nights are busy nights for everyone. The venue itself was a cozy-sized place but I was dissapointed in the chairs-they were uncomfortable and not the concert-type seating one might be used to (i.e. Verizon Center.) On the plus side, I only paid $4.50 for a coctail. Okay, back to the Casino:they want you feel that you are entering another "country" or "part of the world" when you walk through the casino. It is basically in sections that go on and on with millions of slots that all look the same. You will enter the Casino smelling nice and fresh but leave smelling like smoke. The smoke is bad and I am not one for dramatics. The venting system is either poor or there is just no way to beat the massive amount of smoke from the people. Last thing:The Spa. I made an appointment for a body scrub and got shorted on my time. The attendant never introduced herself which I found a little annoying. It commonplace (or should be) to greet the person you are about to work on with an introduction.
I am not a super-picky person believe it or not but I won't be back to the Winstar unless I come back for a concert, which is very possible since they are able to draw in pretty decent acts/bands/performers.

Room Tip: Ask for a room AWAY from others if possible.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank Lisserlou

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
austin, tx
Reviewed May 31, 2011

I stayed here for a birthday weekend with my best friend. We felt great after checking in - hotel front desk staff was helpful and courteous and gave us breakfast buffet coupons. She explained that we would get a $20 discount if we got Players Cards. She also said we could possibly get our room comped, or at least get more of a discount than the initial $20 off depending on how much we played. The room wasn't great, but it was manageable. The sink didn't drain fast enough and the desk chair was filthy.
The next night, our room key didn't work. It took four attempts to get it to work. Despite having 3 people staffed at the front desk, nobody accompanied me back to the room in the middle of the night to make sure the key worked.
On the morning of checkout, we received a call while we were still in the room asking us why we were still there - someone had turned our keys in and my credit card had already been charged!! When we went down to actually check out and clear things up, the computer was messing up. It charged my card twice. The whole checkout process took about 45 minutes. The key that someone had turned in for our room was actually a housekeeping key that for some reason had our room number on it.
They would not comp our room, and did not offer a discount even though we were "extremely close" to having our room comped. They explained that the original employee had misinformed us - no discounts are offered on holiday weekends. When I complained, I was told "Ma'am, we have thousands of employees. It's impossible to make sure they are all well-informed." I told her that although it is not my job to run her hotel, I can understand that it is difficult - but when an employee tells a customer the wrong thing, it should not be the customer that has to suffer the consequences.
We will not being staying here ever again. I spent the most I ever have at the Winstar, and there were still no comps. It is the only place that has never comped me, and honestly the rooms (mostly because of the staff) are not worth more than $75 a night - and that's being generous!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank sdhiam

Travelers are raving about these Thackerville hotels

texas
Reviewed August 28, 2008

excellent in every regard; cleanliness of room; great breakfast; personnel very helpful; room furnishings really nice; wireles quick, no problems connecting; casino nearby with shuttle bus service

• Liked — cleanliness; friendliness of staff; breakfast selections
  • Disliked — no co9mplaints
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank marquisTexas
Oklahoma City
Reviewed June 22, 2008

I was expecting a rather ordinary hotel and was pleasantly surprised. The staff was helpful and friendly. The lobby area is basic but the rooms are beautiful, roomy and comfortable. We will definitely stay here again. Also, if you book directly with the hotel, it is quite a bit cheaper than the online rates.

• Liked — The rooms
  • Disliked — Construction near the hotel
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
5 Thank shopsalot
Arlington, TX
Reviewed March 18, 2008

Very nice, helpful desk personnel. Rooms were surprisingly roomy and comfortable. Rooms were clean. Loved the windowbox seating, it was so big you could even sleep a large child in it. Is next door to the casino so very convenient. Highway access is a little confusing, but that was probably due to some minor road detours.

• Liked — Room accomodations
  • Disliked — Confusing access from highway
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Showtimeh3
Denton
Reviewed March 11, 2008

My husband and I were one of the people that got stuck there at the whole issue with the evacuation at the casino. They transport everyone from the cassino to the hotel and they gave everyone breakfast. Wonderful thank you.

My husband and I decided to book a room there to crash for the day because we were both exhausted and the hotel gave us a discount...

We really enjoied ourselves wonderful experince there.

Thank you again.....

• Liked — The hotel was right beside the casino great location
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
5 Thank peanut2008
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed June 13, 2006

This is a new hotel built next to the indian casino. I did not plan on staying here, check out my review of the Holiday Inn Express in Gainesville, TX and it will explain.

The hotel was very reasonably priced. The room was spotless and very comfortable. I am not a big gambler but they offer a free shuttle to the casino which I rode over and contributed $20.00 to my Native American brothers.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
6 Thank jimthestonemaker
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thackerville
Best Western Red River Inn & Suites
#4 of 12 in Gainesville
Lindsay Inn
Lindsay Inn
#1 of 1 in Lindsay

Been to Inn at Winstar? Share your experiences!