“Sub-par service, housekeeping, & food.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Thackerville
WinStar World Casino Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Thackerville
Reviewed July 9, 2014

I've been a frequent guest of WinStar since it's tent days, and although I have loved watching it grow and flourish into the 2nd largest casino in the world...I've come away disappointed in my last few visits. This visit has probably been my last. I'll explain...

First off...the pros: The casino itself is beautiful and well designed. I'm amazed constantly at the growth. Each time I visit there are always new machines to play and ground ro cover. It's bathrooms are usually immaculately cleaned and abundant, which is great for convenience and no lines. There are plenty of restaurant choices and many areas to grab a drink (self serve or bar/lounge). Security has always been great and can always be seen roaming the interior and exterior of the facility. The hotel design and aesthetics are beautiful! The swimming pools and views from the pool towers are perfect!

That said, here's what is going to drive away potential and frequent guests.

Cons:
Restaurants serve poor quality food for the price you pay. (Tip: Stick to the buffet and DQ if you're going for a quick meal.) Chips & Ale was noticeably dirty. The walls are covered in who knows what and are visibly banged up pretty well. The dim lighting does nothing to hide this. The restaurants seem to be very understaffed in general. Beware unusual wait times.

Housekeeping was horrible. Our room was part of a comp I received for a two night stay, (but I have stayed at other casinos on a comp and never had a problem) I didn't realize this meant sub par housekeeping. Our coffee maker was still in use from the last guest, grinds and all. There were two stains of some sort (they resemble blood) on our walls. Hair, dirt in the shower and on the bathroom floor. Hand prints/stains on doors and walls. We also entered our room with two used toilet paper rolls that had enough toilet paper between them to satisfy two trips. When we called to request more toilet paper, we were put on hold twice with a wait over 10 minutes. My husband was finally able to get someone on the line, who then stated they would be bringing it right up. An hour and a half later, no toilet paper. It's a good thing we called right when we were out. Eventually, we decided to give up waiting and go to the front desk. Once there we were told it would brought up while we were at the casino. (It was finally waiting on our bathroom counter when we got back.)

It's not that the hotel is horrendous. It's just that everything seems to be so understaffed and so far away from most of the clientele. Most everything is overpriced and low quality, including the rooms. The service could make up for that, but it doesn't.
I understand goals and wanting to achieve success and it certainly takes cash flow to do that, but there's a line that this casino and hotel has passed that makes it feel like a rip off.

Eventually I think WinStar could become a beaming family friendly vacation destination, but it has a lot of work to do on training, hiring, and standards of quality.

• Stayed: July 2014
5  Thank HVanHorn
Write a ReviewReviews (5,388)

Reviewed July 9, 2014

Let's start with what it is, a massive huge casino. When I first went there about 8 years ago, it was like a giant circus tent, with three themed sections, your money was on your player card you had to cash out and it was still using class II (bingo type) slots there was also no hotel.
Now, it's a massive casino so big, I am not sure I saw it all. Still has themed sections, but no longer looks or feels like a circus tent. Has lost of food options and their on property hotel is nice, yet simple. It's a standard room. Gaming seemed fair, though HL seemed tight. They do have throughout the casino these slots I'd never seen before or since that are extremely annoying with a ringing bell. There is a pool area, seemed fairly simple. It is in the middle of nowhere. Let's face it, it's a Texas casino a mile across the TX/OK border and an hour north of Dallas/Ft Worth. I am willing to bet that a majority of the players are all from Texas. Not to be political, but shame the TX politicos can't see all the money they're losing across the river in OK.
But never mind all that, it's a big huge massive casino and you can have a good weekend or night there. It is not a destination, it is a stop or a "one night stand"

Room Tip: It is not a destination, it is a stop or a "one night stand"
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank DKimmey
Reviewed July 7, 2014

We've been going to Winstar for years, since it was just a tent. The last 2 years we have been going more often because the entertainment and customer service just can't be beat. We live close, so we usually don't get a room, but we recently stayed overnight. The rooms in the new North tower are very nice, and we slept wonderfully. There wasn't any noise from other room, or from the hallway. It is great that Winstar is making it more fun for families with kids. There were a lot of kids enjoying the pool. I heard that they are building a water park! We recently ate at El Fenix. The food and service were both excellent. On our overnight trip we were going to have breakfast at the Terrace View Cafe, but we waited for almost 10 minutes at the front to be greeted, and the menu didn't look very appealing, so we went across the border into Gainesville Tx to an IHOP. Gainesville (a 10 minute drive from Winstar) also has tons of other dining options, and a movie theater.

The casino has so many slots, anyone can find something fun to play. Sometimes we come home with extra money, sometimes we come home even, and sometimes we leave some of our money there. On Saturday nights it gets so packed sometimes that it is hard to walk around. The parking lot is always filled with cars from Texas. I guess us Texans love to gamble. :)

My only complaint is that the drinks are overpriced, and the bartenders are usually rude. There are not enough cocktail waitresses, especially on the weekends, and they never go very far from the bars. That means that if you are gambling in certain areas, like by Toby Keith's then you will never see a waitress.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Sasha W
CrystalBynumAGM, Manager at WinStar World Casino Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2014

Thank you for the review of your most recent experience here at Winstar. I will be sure to share your feedback regarding the cocktail servers with the casino.

I hope we have the pleasure of serving you again in the near future!

Reviewed July 7, 2014

I received a complimentary night in the mail from Winstar. We decided to use it for a quick get away. We usually just drive there and back home as it is only an hour drive. The brochure showed very nice rooms and stated luxury accommodations. When we got there they put us in the Winstar Inn. That is actually down the road and like an old motel 6. It was clean and had a shuttle bus so we decided to say. We won't make that mistake again. The brochure's are very deceptive.

Room Tip: Stay at the best western and pay for the room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Waco042
Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

Stayed in one of their new rooms. Very clean and felt nice. I then proceeded to lose more than twice the cost of the room on the casino floor. The buffet was ok, not spectacular. Enjoy the rooms, avoid the gambling.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Rain Y
CrystalBynumAGM, Manager at WinStar World Casino Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay at Winstar. I am happy that you enjoy your room here at the hotel! I hope that we have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Assistant General manager

Reviewed July 3, 2014

I've stayed here for four nights in all on two separate trips (including during spring break). The rooms are spacious and very clean. The complimentary valet service is a nice touch, but don't use it if you plan on retrieving your car during check-out. The wait is very long then. On our second trip, the pool was open. It's nice, has plenty of room, and there are plenty of seating options. Towels are also provided which is nice. There is a poolside bar that was reasonably priced. Although a pleasant experience overall, the downstairs restaurant almost ruined it for us at breakfast our first morning. Don't eat there: service is horrible and the eggs are powdered.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay here at Winstar. I am glad your enjoyed your room and some of the amenities. I will discuss pickup time with the onsite valet company to ensure the return of your vehicle is efficient. The restaurant downstairs in the hotel offers cook to order eggs with each order, so I am not sure where you experienced powdered eggs.

Please contact me at your convenience so that I can get more details of the restaurant you dined in here at Winstar. (580) 276-1301

Reviewed July 3, 2014

My husband and I stayed for two nights last month. With the exception of great food but slow and rude service at Terrace View Café, our stay was good and without incident. I got a voucher in the mail for two free nights after our stay, so my girlfriends and I decided to take a trip and stay a night.

When we arrived in our room, it looked clean and comfortable...nothing to note. After hitting the casino and having dinner, we noticed that we only had two towels for three of us. We called housekeeping and the front desk to request another towel (we were even willing to go to them to get it) and after an hour and a half and three phone calls, we finally go it. Then, I noticed a dried stain on my duvet/comforter. It was so disgusting. Every time I called the front desk to talk to someone, they put me on hold without even saying a word to me or were very, very rude to me. Finally, I called from my cell phone and was able to speak to a manager, because they'd never come back to the phone. She apologized and said we'd have a new one right away. Within ten minutes, there was a young kid- who obviously was not happy with having to come to our room- with a small blanket, who would not take the stained comforter. We brought him into the room and showed him the comforter so that he could replace the right item. He then brought us a mattress pad...not a comforter. 35 minutes after he left the second time, we finally got a manager to come to our room...it was the only way we could get anyone to actually talk to us. The manager fixed the problem right away and gave us breakfast vouchers, which was sufficient. I didn't catch her name, but she was the only one of several people that was friendly. I know the room was free, but the $600 I spent on my room before, and the AWFUL customer service this time was not worth it. It was insane how rude we were. AND the tipsy lady across the hall actually knocked on our door at midnight to ask if we had a corkscrew because she'd asked for one to be brought up two hours earlier only to be told it was on its way. Highly disappointed with our experience.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Jill S

I am very sorry for the disappointing stay you experienced here at Winstar. We strive to ensure that each customer enjoys their stay but it looks like we failed with you. You are right in that it should not take multiple calls nor extending wait periods for simple requests. I will discuss your concerns with my housekeeping management team to ensure we fix this to prevent future reoccurrences.

I would like to remedy in some way for you. Please contact me directly at 580-276-1301 to discuss. I look forward to hearing from you.

Assistant General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Thackerville
Red River Inn & Suites
#3 of 12 in Gainesville
Comfort Suites Gainesville
Comfort Suites Gainesville
#4 of 12 in Gainesville

Been to WinStar World Casino Hotel? Share your experiences!