“Golf, Spa, Casino”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Thackerville
WinStar World Casino Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Thackerville
Carrollton, Texas
“Golf, Spa, Casino”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

This was my first time at Winstar but they treated us like honored guests. Everything is still very new and nicely furnished. The golf course was very open and forgiving with some lovely landscaping. The Golf Academy was top flight with great staff, instruction and video analysis. I also enjoyed two incredible massages with Joseph at the Spa Habitat inside the hotel. As a massage-addict I can tell you he is truly first rate with his knowledge, training and skill. The valet and desk staff were always eager to please. There is a small health club with several pieces of cardio machines and a rack of free weights. Outside there is a pool and hot tub. If you are staying in or looking for the hotel DON'T try to find it by going inside any of the casino entrances like you would for a Vegas hotel, instead follow the road (777 Casino Ave.) going all the way around to the BACK of the casino and look for the high-rise building. We ate at Toby Keith's restaurant and at the El Fenix inside the casino. Both are pretty much what you would expect. The Grill is the most upscale restaurant there and we were not disappointed. The casino was smokier than I would have preferred but the hotel is entirely smoke-free. This definitely isn't Las Vegas or even Reno but it's a fun diversion only an hour and 15 minutes from Dallas. Unless there is a big-name concert at this venue then there isn't much else in the way of entertainment other than gambling. Unfortunately nearly all the outlet shopping in nearby Gainesville has gone out of business. Wednesday and Thursday are Senior Citizen days :) This Chickasaw Nation owned casino uses the proceeds for education and are not simply given to the people.

Room Tip: The entrance to the hotel can be a challenge to find. Drive all the way around the casino and away...
1 Thank Sheryl G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed August 18, 2012

We stayed one night and had a great experience at both the hotel and casino. We were Able to check in right away and had a nice clean room. We did have water dripping from the ceiling but they came And checked it our right away. We had a great time playing on the machines and hope to go back soon!

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Jdoss2
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 16, 2012

After reading the reviews already posted, we were prepared to wait at check-in because we arrived 15 minutes ahead of the posted check-in time. But it was no problem and it went very quickly even though there were a few people ahead of us. The rooms were clean, nicely decorated and everything still looks new. The Sunday night price was $149. I think they charge more on Friday and Saturday nights. I think $149 is about right, no matter what night of the week it is. I did note that most of the negative reviews were by people who expected to find Las Vegas in Oklahoma. It's not Las Vegas, it's one casino that isn't really close to anything other than the Texas state line. (When you're the only game in town, you don't have to give anybody free drinks.) I don't gamble in Oklahoma because I don't like to pay the fifty cents to play. But when we drive by, the parking lot always seems full, so it seems that a lot of people don't mind. We had tickets to see Rod Stewart. I was a bit disappointed that the show was limited to 90 minutes - apparently a casino rule on all shows. We ate at The Grill after the show. The food was good, although they were out of every appetizer except crab cakes. They were also out of every steak except ribeye and porterhouse. (And when we ordered the porterhouse, they were down to three of them.) They were out of every seafood dish except salmon and sea bass. They were out of broccoli and asparagus. Whoever is in charge of ordering food should be taken to task over this.

1 Thank BarbaraE3
Austin, Texas
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We stayed 3 days a the WinStar Casion and hotel. We found the hotel to be great. We used the pool, and ate at the Grill. The pool was fun, and were there during an afternoon pool party! Drink service at the pool was good and prompt. We had the breakfast buffet at the grill and it was ok. The casino was fun and has a variety of things to do. There are several small restaurants, shops, and bars. The casino is 1.2 miles long in 5 different "countries." More slots than you can imagine. Some are bar type, poker type, and video. Now here's the catches. You have to pay a .50 tax to the dealer each hand. Supposedly to support American Indian education. Also, alcoholic drinks are not free, even while gambling. And they are pricey!! Soft drinks, water and lemonade are all free and self serve. WHAT??? Hasn't anyone told them people gamble more when they are drinking?? Having said that, the hotel rooms were nice, clean and comfy, but because it was a big concert weekend they were about $300 per night. hmmm. We did have a good time, and might return, but might plan a NOLA trip instead next time we want to gamble and just have fun.

Room Tip: Get a room, on pool side, or you will have a view of construction!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank JCntex
Abilene, Texas
Reviewed August 13, 2012

First let me say we travel a lot and stay at many casino hotels and have had great experiences and some not so great experiences. This particular time we were celebrating my husbands 60th birthday, so I made reservations several months in advance. We also bought tickets to see Vince Gill, which was wonderful. I just wish I could say the same about the Winstar hotel. Ck in was a bit lacking in service, we waited several minutes before we were even acknowledge at the front desk. After finally getting cked in with no smile or welcome I asked about golf and she without looking up pointed us to a room next to front desk! At this time we ask the lady about golf packages and she very unconcerned told us not offered on weekends and handed a brochure for us to figure it out ourselves. Hoping that the room would be better we found the elevator and made our way to our room with our brochures only to find a not so clean room with a horrible view and very noisy equipment outside! Believe me I understand growth and would have been very understanding but by this time the experience had not been a positive one... The furniture was dusty the bathroom floor had black hair all over it! By this time I was ready for a drink! We got ice and proceeded to make us a drink in the room and found all we had was some small foamy paper cups!! I was ready to drink out of the bottle! I called down and ask about getting room cleaned we waited a while and no one ever showed. Needless to say the rest of the stay only got worse. I wrote my name in the dust on the furniture and it was still there when we left on Sunday, and yes we did request service for Saturday! We got clean towels and the bed made! No cleaning of bathroom or replenishing of coffe or cups. Nothing else was touched including the writing in the dust. I paid $600 for 2 nights and sadly to say I will never return to this hotel again! Thru all of this no one acknowledge my husbands 60th birthday which I had informed them of while making my reservations! Also mentioned to the unconcerned lady in office when asking about golf! I work in the hospitality industry and if I treated all my guest this way I would not be open long! Headed back to Texas where service means something.....

Room Tip: The only tip I have is go somewhere else!
10 Thank Alecia L
Altus,OK
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Had concert tickets for Rod Stewart Saturday night, stayed Friday & Saturday nights. First of all Thank You for bringing someone of this caliber to the events center. It was a once in a lifetime experience for both my husband and myself. We never dreamed being able to see him in person in Oklahoma! But please ask your ticket holders to be courteous to the people behind them and sit down. We paid a premium price for our seats and were forced to stand to be able to see.
Check in & out was a breeze. All staff members were friendly and courteous throughout our stay. Casino play was good, won some lost some...typical for any casino. Room was great, service was excellent!
The only negative I have is I got food poisoning from Chips & Ale lunch on Saturday and am still dealing with it on Monday, had to miss work today because of it.

1 Thank jojook
Texas
Reviewed August 8, 2012

First thing I want to say is my wife and myself have been to several casinos including Vegas in our life. We do not go to casinos to make money only have a good time. We play only video poker so we can challenge each other and have fun doing it. Booked room for two nights coming from San Antonio. Very well kept casino clean rooms lots of restaurants and choices of food. Now let me get to the reasons why we will NEVER come back to this casino. Please everyone read so you don't make the same mistake we made. Not only do they charge for drinks they are extremely expensive. One beer=3.50 one Colorado bulldog=6.50. needless to say only had one drink while in casino. Let me add we are not big drinkers but we do enjoy while playing machines. Over a 24 hour period we lost on the few video poker machines 1100 dollars so we decided to test the hotel. You don't charge us for the second night and we stay or we go home if you want to charge us for the room. I was floored on what the hotel staff told me so we packed our bags and left after staying one night. How stupid can you be? One room for 119 dollars and they would not give us that to stay. Totally absurd!! Texas residents go to Louisiana, Mississippi where you are welcomed and appreciated. Again I will say I do not go to casinos to make money just be treated fair.

7 Thank Moore2923
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thackerville
Best Western Red River Inn & Suites
#4 of 12 in Gainesville
Lindsay Inn
Lindsay Inn
#1 of 1 in Lindsay

Been to WinStar World Casino Hotel? Share your experiences!