“The staff was always pleasant and friendly and the service...”

Wyndham Garden Stillwater
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Stillwater

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Stillwater, Oklahoma
Reviewed June 14, 2014

I remember staying at this hotel one night in the mid-90s while a student at OSU - I hadn't been back to it since then until my 6/12-14/2014 stay. Back then it was a Best Western (I think) and now it's a Wyndham Garden. I have a ton of Wyndham rewards, so this was just for fun and the room didn't cost me a penny for either night.

Some of the hotel is new and updated, and some of it hasn't changed since it was probably built. There are areas of the hotel that feel like a set from a Wes Anderson movie - wild patterns on the floors, walls and furniture. Funky and funny. I had two queen beds so the room was cramped - the bathrooms are really small, but the hotel is old(er) so this wasn't a surprise and since I was solo, it wasn't an inconvenience. The beds are really comfortable and the rooms are old but clean. The Wyndham staff is very friendly and I'd stay here again. There is a complementary breakfast which, for the price, is decent. The elevator is glacially slow.

The rest of this will deal with the restaurant, which was a horrorshow. Don't eat there is my advice - as for drinking your mileage will vary depending on the 'tender.

You cannot charge anything to your room at the restaurant, which I thought was weird, but whatever. They let you know that up-front. The food at Branagan's is atrocious - I ate supper there both nights. Night one was the pork chop, which took more than a half hour to get even though I was the only person eating. Once it finally came out, I asked the bartender if she would eat it, and she looked at me as though I'd just asked her to mow my lawn. I was starving so I ate the overcooked, dry pork chop and the burned vegetables, and the bartender never asked how my food was, and I didn't send it back. I stayed for about an hour and a half, where my tab was generously padded - I said nothing because I couldn't prove it, but she added several (two or three) drinks to my tab. I was there for some fun, and I had some fun in spite of the food and bad service. I don't make that accusation lightly - in fact, I haven't run into such a phenomenon as tab padding in years.

I tried again the next night. Different bartender, much friendlier. I had the hamburger this time. The bartender asked me if I wanted everything on it, and I said I did. I should have read the fine print on the menu, because that meant it being slathered in a goop that was mayonaisse mixed with taco seasoning. The bun was cold and stale, the meat was cold and the vegetables old. Again, I was starving so I ate it. The bartender asked me how it was and I told her. I also told her I wasn't trying to get a free meal or a discount, I was hungry and I'd eaten most of it. She was very polite about this and said the burgers are usually really good. I hung out there for a couple hours, and my bill this time was half as much as the night before, and she told me she discounted my food since it was bad. I also told her about the previous night's suspicion that the bartender padded my tab, and she was apologetic and said she would pass it on to the manager. She also turned on the World Cup and the sound when requested, which was very nice.

As for the bar crowd, it's more locals than hotel guests, and it is very much a "drinker's" bar - a lot of funny drunkenness, loud music, etc - it's fun if you like that sort of thing, which on occasion I certainly do. I think they went through two liters of Fireball Whiskey the two nights I was there. The pool table and juke box stay busy, and I had two drinks bought for me by complete strangers my second night there.

Stillwater's a fun place - I happened to be on that end of town which is why I stayed close to the hotel but if you've never been there, venture out. If you like to drink, the bars on the Strip are your best best, or of course Eskimo Joe's and, right by it, Stonewall Tavern and George's Stables. As for food, there's a thousand restaurants in town so take your pick. We always called it the happiest place on Earth, so enjoy it if you get a chance to visit.

Room Tip: If I stay again I'll ask for first or second floor because of how slow the elevator is.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Granville, Ohio
Reviewed June 8, 2014

This hotel is impressive on the inside but there are some problems.Cleaning of outer bed covers,and floors? Miscommunication of personel and patrons with front desk. No recycling??? Bar band should bring it down after midnight even Sat.On the other hand most of the staff was good and the breakfast staff was excellent and very personable but why can't we get Decaf on the weekends too. PS. for breakfast fruit (which I got mild sick on twice) just go to Sams Club and get Tropical fruit in a can, Taste great, quality ensured, less cost and work!!! More great cookies!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 5, 2014

Stayed overnight in the hotel when I believe there was a baseball game, lots of kids running around the lobby and the hotel. I didn't hear them at night, but they ran around during the mornings (not the hotels fault, just the parents). Pool was cold but nice once all the kids left. Bed was comfortable. Bathroom was decorated nice, but felt a little small. Hot water didn't take long to flow once I turned it on which is normally a problem in some hotels in the morning.

The bartender was a nice gal, the food was ok. Not bad, just odd things to have.

Breakfast was interesting. There were lots of options (eggs, sausage, biscuits & gravy) plus lots of fruit, juices and milks. With all the kids running in and out, they made a mess but the staff kept it fairly clean and there wasn't really a wait for them to refill the foods. Would have been nice to have an area farther away from the lobby where all the noise was but I guess I can't complain too much. The front desk clerk (Amanda I think?) was really nice and so was one of the breakfast staff (big guy, didn't get his name). He even found me some sugar free syrup because I couldn't have the regular stuff.

Next time I travel this way, I'll stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business