“You should take a pass”

Holiday Inn Stillwater - University East
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Stillwater
“You should take a pass”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Bottom line: Even though this is a collage town hotel, with low expectations, you should take a pass.

Our first impression on entering the room: Baby wipes and an empty water bottle left behind bed stand by a previous room occupant (see photo), very dim lighting in both rooms and bathroom, stain on chair by door, thermostat mounted in outer room which causes a very cold bed room in summer and a warmer outer room. During stay we killed a bug on the bedspread. Our room was not cleaned (we pulled the not disturb sign off the door at 1:30 pm with maid working nearby.) The bed was comfortable. Breakfast buffet cost a pricy for Stillwater $10.86 pp with tasty bacon but no bananas. On check out we observed buckets in the lobby catching leaking water from ceiling.

There is a certain odor throughout in this hotel which I would label as Holiday Inn #5 perfume. Not very pleasant but bearable. We also smelled odors in the hall from the many oil field workers who seem to frequent this place. Maybe management needs to buy and spray more Holiday Inn #5.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank w0kieTulsa_Oklahoma
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Stillwater - University East, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear w0kieTulsa_Oklahoma,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We are truly sorry for the unusual condition of the room you received during your stay. I have taken note of your comments regarding housekeeping and rest assured this will be looked into. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Connie D
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We spent 2 nights at this hotel. The suite was very large and had everything we needed. We had room service from the dining room and the food was delicious. We would definitely recommend this hotel to all!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank oogswife
Kyle E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Stillwater - University East, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
Thank you for your kind and generous comments concerning our facility and staff on your recent stay. We take great pride in delivering hospitality and service. I have shared your comments with our entire staff and they send their thank you along as well.

We look forward to serving you again on your next stay in Stillwater.

Charlie Hart
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Everything that has been posted we experienced as well. The hotel is newer, the staff is friendly and efficient, the rooms were great. I had a suite and everything was nice. The TV is hard to operate and the wireless internet is slow. Other than that no complaints. I will stay here again, it's a great location and the price we paid was $10.00 less than other properties in Stillwater.

Room Tip: The two room suites are nice.
1 Thank northok
Thank you for your comments about our facility and staff concerning your recent stay. We strive daily to deliver hospitable and friendly service.

We have shared your comments with our entire staff and they send their thank to you as well.

We look forward to serving you again on your next visit to Stillwater.

Charlie Hart
Tahlequah, OK
Reviewed March 31, 2013

This is my second stay at this hotel.

This hotel is on the edge of town right next to a Walmart. It appears to be relatively new and well kept.

My room was ok and included a refrigerator, microwave, small flat screen TV and double queen beds that were comfortable. The hotel was quiet and I slept well there. Walmarts location makes the fridge and microwave beneficial.

I agree about the cable. I had to go in and program my TV so it didn't show the same channels multiple times. And the additional 40 channels of just music was annoying too.

There is free internet, but no free breakfast. There is a gathering area outside the lobby with a bigger flat screen TV, but it is not used for anything by the hotel.

The workout room is nice with 2 treadmills and some free weights.

During check in I was asked, "what work are you doing here?". Maybe it was supposed to be personable? But it came off stalkerish. And they didn't recognize my priority status until the last thing they said. They then gave me a choice of two bottles of water or an addition 250 Rewards points.

Around 6pm the night I checked in the maid came by asking if my room was ok. That was a little strange also.

I came back to the hotel one night to see a bus full of 6th graders unloading in front. The only bad thing from that was getting to the elevator. Surprisingly I never heard them in the hotel that night.

Room Tip: Top floor is quiet. Rooms have no view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Stillwater - University East, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Aquariuz,

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad you like the room accommodations. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry for any inconvenience you may have experienced due to the level of service from our hotel and staff. Your comments will be passed to the appropriate department. We always welcome opportunity to improve

Thank you again for your comments. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Zelyn N
Kansas City
Reviewed March 13, 2013

If there's a better hotel in Stillwater, I haven't found it. This hotel is located on the far west side of town, next to the Walmart, but is a very nice hotel. Friendly staff, great rooms, full amenities. Last time here, I had a very good, and inexpensive (by hotel standards) breakfast in the restaurant. A pleasant surprise. Hotel offers a surprising level of comfort and sophistication in Stillwater.

Room Tip: Hotel rooms face north or south. South rooms overlook houses. North rooms overlook highway and comme...
Norman,OK
Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

This is your basic modern Holiday Inn. The hotel is very clean. The beds are comfortable. It looks new. Listen, I dont like to be a complainer about the small things but this hotel has to fix a few items. First of all, watching television in your room after being on the road all day is something I like to do for a half hour just to relax. Well, doing that here is anything but relaxing. Each channel has a twin. So every time you change the channel, you get the same channel twice. And at hard enough to change the channel to begin with because you have you hit the button 3-4 times. So once you hit the button 3 or 4 times and you finally get the channel changed, you're on the same channel again. So basically it takes hitting the button 6-8 times before you make it to another channel. Weird and frustrating. Just give me a basic, normal television! Also, the wifi is slow.

The guy at the front desk was friendly and asked the basic questions. "How are you?" "What brings you to town?" All that was fine and expected. I answered that I was doing ok and I was in town for a meeting. Then, the guy asks me this "Who are you meeting with?" My coworker and I both looked at each other in amazement. Why in the absolute hell would this guy need to know who I was meeting with? Strange. My coworker and I still can't understand why he asked us that. Whatever.

Again, the hotel was clean and new and I had a comfortable bed.

• Stayed March 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Stillwater - University East, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear rbaron721,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry about the television and for the poor service you received. We will look into this. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Reviewed December 24, 2012

This is a newer hotel in Stillwater. Normally I'm not a huge Holiday Inn fan, but this one surprised me. The rooms are really nice and the decor is modern and refreshing. Each room has a fridge so that was a big plus for me. The televisions are HD, but the channels are not, so that gets low marks from me there. Could've also used more plugins near the bed. I like to keep my cellphone close at night, but I could've recharge it on the bedside table because there weren't any outlets close. The beds are comfortable and the bathroom is spacious and nice. Checkin was easy and fast. I needed to do my research because this hotel charges for breakfast, my expectation was that it did not like most hotels in its class. Stillwater is pretty easy to navigate, so finding a place to eat was not hard. Probably the best Holiday Inn I've ever stayed at, however the Residence Inn is almost just across the parking lot and would probably prefer to stay there. Still not a bad option in Stillwater.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business