“Solid choice in Stillwater”

The Atherton Hotel at OSU
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Stillwater
Reviewed May 24, 2012

This is an older property right on campus, so it makes it the most convenient place in Stillwater to stay if you have business on campus. The rooms are small but very well maintained and comfortable. Disappointed the TV selection did not include HBO. Free wifi in the room, and an excellent free breakfast for two the next day. My stay was during the "off" season, so I only paid $69 for my room which made it an incredible value. During the school year, I suspect the rates go WAY up. I like this place, but I would never pay more than $130 for a night in this property.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed May 9, 2012

Obviously the location, being right on the campus of O.S.U. was nice. But, so was everything else. I got married at O.S.U., right outside the hotel in front of the Student Union, so there was no way to be any closer to where the ceremony was! It was such a convenience to be able to get ready in the room and then run downstairs over to the ceremony.
The staff were students, and they were all so friendly and helpful to our friends and guests, I cannot say enough about the assistance they were able to give everyone.
The rooms were perfect, the decor is so much nicer than the standard hotels you find in elsewhere Stillwater. We had pictures taken in the lobby after the ceremony.
We stayed in suite, and other guests in regular rooms. Both are decorated the same, but the suite is larger with a separate living room which made getting ready very nice.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ji Youn W
Reviewed April 22, 2012

I've stayed at the Atherton several times, and I've had enough I think. The hotel is quite expensive for what it offers, but its location is second-to-none, so there you have it.

We arrived around 2 PM, and inquired about early check in, which was denied. The lobby smelled awful. It was like a sewer was backed up or something, and none of the staff addressed it. It was quite off putting. When we came back at 3 we waited for nearly 10 minutes before we were helped, and there was one guy in front of us. The girl was very slow, and she repeatedly took long dawn out phone calls without putting them on hold. I rate the service as poor.

When I made our reservations, they told us the only rooms they had left were "no view" rooms that had no windows, which they discounted $10 to $109. As it turns out, those rooms are awful. They're tiny, I could barely even fit into the bathroom, and the shower reminded me of a shower out of a college dorm. The paint was coming off the ceiling, the rooms were obviously very old, and not updated. It was terrible. I expected something less than ideal, but I was still very disappointed.

There is free breakfast, and the normal rooms I've had in the past were much better, but I'm pretty put off with this stay, and I don't think I'll be back, even with the excellent location.

Room Tip: DONT take a "no view" room. It's much worse than just not having a window.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 12, 2012

Orange you glad you're traveling to Stillwater? Yes, "the nation's brightest orange" is OSU's color, and the Atherton is clad in shades of it: peach walls, rust carpet and orange-and-white drapes. But hey, you're not there permanently. And it's a minor nit I'm picking. (Oh, did I mention the orange-scented toiletries??) I stayed in a "no-view" room with a queen bed. The room was small but smartly designed. Three more nits I'd pick: make the larger table square or rectangular; the round one ate up too much space and nearly blocked me from walking around the bed. The second: Improve the water pressure/shower head in the shower. And the third: What is up with the hole in the middle of the big bar of soap?!?!? Very strange. The no-view may be only during construction; I don't know. I was surprised that it didn't bother me -- I just left the drapes closed. Bed was great. Service was terrific. Breakfast was fabulous -- hot buffet (scrambled eggs, home fries, tons o' bacon) with cold options (fruit, pastries, cereal) available, too. I got a last-minute deal on Expedia (found by Kayak) for $59/night. Parking was another $10/day in the garage next to the hotel. Quite reasonable, in my opinion. I don't know what the standard rate is, but check Expedia! :)

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank FelineFan
Reviewed January 19, 2012

I have stayed twice at the OSU Student Union Hotel- The Atherton. It's run by students in either a business or hotel management program, all the way down to the food service. My stay in 2010, in a double room, was much better than my stay in 2011- both in mid july- in a suite.

The only negative I have about the first stay was the oldish smell of the room- other than that it was very nice for what it was. The second stay- the air conditioning struggled to keep the room bearable- and the wonderful breakfast buffet I expected in the morning from the year prior was missing. The first stay I couldn't believe the food laid out. Bacon, sausage, eggs, pancakes, waffles, fruit, cereal, toasts, bagels, fruits, oatmeals- several kinds of juice, all served downstairs in the legendary restaurant.

2nd stay? I was rather upset. I found myself upstairs in the tea room- and found a bowl of hard boiled eggs and coffee. The main reason I chose to stay at the Atherton a second time, was because of the breakfast.

Other than the cutsie rubber duckie placed in the bathtub that you can take home- I have no fond memories of my 2nd stay at the Atherton.

Room Tip: Honestly, my trips to this hotel varied so wildly that I no longer recommend it simply because of th...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 15, 2011

Had the opportunity to experience The Atherton on a college football weekend and the experience was second-to-none. Hard to believe this is a campus hotel. The service was outstanding and the accommodations first class. Would highly recommend The Atherton for any travel to Oklahoma State University and the Stillwater area.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mike B
Reviewed June 25, 2011

A lovely hotel with gracious and enthusiastic staff. Nice orange-scented toiletries. Free in-room wireless. Downside: a damp, moldy-smelling room, poorly designed and dingy bathroom, and sub-par breakfast. Cardboard bagels and white bread, sad looking apples. Based on prior (glowing) reviews, it sounds like quality of food here has plummeted in the last few years.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business