“Bills self as a boutique hotel, but the value isn't there”

and 1 more site!
The Atherton Hotel at OSU
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Stillwater
Bozeman, MT
“Bills self as a boutique hotel, but the value isn't there”
Reviewed April 22, 2012

I've stayed at the Atherton several times, and I've had enough I think. The hotel is quite expensive for what it offers, but its location is second-to-none, so there you have it.

We arrived around 2 PM, and inquired about early check in, which was denied. The lobby smelled awful. It was like a sewer was backed up or something, and none of the staff addressed it. It was quite off putting. When we came back at 3 we waited for nearly 10 minutes before we were helped, and there was one guy in front of us. The girl was very slow, and she repeatedly took long dawn out phone calls without putting them on hold. I rate the service as poor.

When I made our reservations, they told us the only rooms they had left were "no view" rooms that had no windows, which they discounted $10 to $109. As it turns out, those rooms are awful. They're tiny, I could barely even fit into the bathroom, and the shower reminded me of a shower out of a college dorm. The paint was coming off the ceiling, the rooms were obviously very old, and not updated. It was terrible. I expected something less than ideal, but I was still very disappointed.

There is free breakfast, and the normal rooms I've had in the past were much better, but I'm pretty put off with this stay, and I don't think I'll be back, even with the excellent location.

Room Tip: DONT take a "no view" room. It's much worse than just not having a window.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed February 12, 2012

Orange you glad you're traveling to Stillwater? Yes, "the nation's brightest orange" is OSU's color, and the Atherton is clad in shades of it: peach walls, rust carpet and orange-and-white drapes. But hey, you're not there permanently. And it's a minor nit I'm picking. (Oh, did I mention the orange-scented toiletries??) I stayed in a "no-view" room with a queen bed. The room was small but smartly designed. Three more nits I'd pick: make the larger table square or rectangular; the round one ate up too much space and nearly blocked me from walking around the bed. The second: Improve the water pressure/shower head in the shower. And the third: What is up with the hole in the middle of the big bar of soap?!?!? Very strange. The no-view may be only during construction; I don't know. I was surprised that it didn't bother me -- I just left the drapes closed. Bed was great. Service was terrific. Breakfast was fabulous -- hot buffet (scrambled eggs, home fries, tons o' bacon) with cold options (fruit, pastries, cereal) available, too. I got a last-minute deal on Expedia (found by Kayak) for $59/night. Parking was another $10/day in the garage next to the hotel. Quite reasonable, in my opinion. I don't know what the standard rate is, but check Expedia! :)

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank FelineFan
OKC
Reviewed January 19, 2012

I have stayed twice at the OSU Student Union Hotel- The Atherton. It's run by students in either a business or hotel management program, all the way down to the food service. My stay in 2010, in a double room, was much better than my stay in 2011- both in mid july- in a suite.

The only negative I have about the first stay was the oldish smell of the room- other than that it was very nice for what it was. The second stay- the air conditioning struggled to keep the room bearable- and the wonderful breakfast buffet I expected in the morning from the year prior was missing. The first stay I couldn't believe the food laid out. Bacon, sausage, eggs, pancakes, waffles, fruit, cereal, toasts, bagels, fruits, oatmeals- several kinds of juice, all served downstairs in the legendary restaurant.

2nd stay? I was rather upset. I found myself upstairs in the tea room- and found a bowl of hard boiled eggs and coffee. The main reason I chose to stay at the Atherton a second time, was because of the breakfast.

Other than the cutsie rubber duckie placed in the bathtub that you can take home- I have no fond memories of my 2nd stay at the Atherton.

Room Tip: Honestly, my trips to this hotel varied so wildly that I no longer recommend it simply because of th...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed November 15, 2011

Had the opportunity to experience The Atherton on a college football weekend and the experience was second-to-none. Hard to believe this is a campus hotel. The service was outstanding and the accommodations first class. Would highly recommend The Atherton for any travel to Oklahoma State University and the Stillwater area.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mike B
NJ
Reviewed June 25, 2011

A lovely hotel with gracious and enthusiastic staff. Nice orange-scented toiletries. Free in-room wireless. Downside: a damp, moldy-smelling room, poorly designed and dingy bathroom, and sub-par breakfast. Cardboard bagels and white bread, sad looking apples. Based on prior (glowing) reviews, it sounds like quality of food here has plummeted in the last few years.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank dsc723
Portland
Reviewed April 10, 2011

If you are open to the idea of staying in a first class hotel with a dynamite steak house restaurant that is run and staffed by Hotel and Restaurant Administration student, the Atherton is not your run-of-the-mill chain experience. It is part of the Student Union and while the rooms are somewhat small, they are beautifully appointed with a lot of attention to quality details. For me, an extremely comfortable bed met my needs!

Do try the Ranchers' Club Restaurant as it is truly the best place to eat in Stillwater.

Room Tip: Stay on the OSU Campus!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank OR-RoadWarrior
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed December 11, 2010

Deciding late to attend the "Big 12 Cross Country Championship," I was faced with few available rooms in Stillwater for that weekend. I booked a room at the Atherton and from the moment I checked in until checkout, it was a surprisingly pleasant and rewarding experience! The room was clean, quaint and comfortable, the lobby warm and inviting and the whole place reflected an historic presence at OSU. My biggest surprise came with the continental breakfast (free with the room). Expecting bagels and cold cereal, at best, it had a great buffet of REAL scrambled eggs (not from a carton), breakfast meats, fruit, bread/bagels/muffins, juices and great coffee that was far better than I've ever gotten at SBs, much less another hotel!! And hats off to the college training staff that were always friendly, helpful and eager. Good job!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo