“very surprised”

Americas Best Value Inn Roland
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Roland
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We pulled into Roland on our way back to Canada because there was a gas station and hotels and it was getting late. The Travelodge was the first hotel we came to so we went in to get a price and check availability. The lobby was clean and the staff were very friendly. When the receptionist told us the price we didn't really know what to expect. When we got to the room we were very pleased. The rooms were clean and very big. We had a table and 2 chairs when we first walked in then 2 queen beds with a night stand in the middle and a dresser and TV on the other side of the room. At the end of the room there was a safe, a long bathroom counter with a coffee maker and ice bucket at one end and the sink at the other. There was a separate door which closed off the toilet and the shower for privacy. The only thing missing was a mini fridge and a microwave. In the morning we had a continental breakfast, going by memory there was milk, apple and orange juice, coffe, bread, waffles, cereal and fruit.

Room Tip: the ice machine was outside of room 124 but I don't know if the noise would effect the occupants...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed April 8, 2013

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Highly recommend! friendly staff great location perfect for the one noght stay to break up a long drive

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Pros:
- Right off I-40, easy to find.
- Clean linens.
- Bed was relatively comfortable and had three pillows.
- Fridge and microwave.
- Shower was clean.
- Room was a moderate size. Big enough to feel comfortable.
- I make notes about the places we stay so that I don't leave anything out when I get around to writing this, and I made a note that "nothing smelled funny." I'm not sure why I wrote that, but I guess that's a good thing to be aware of.
- Continental breakfast was okay. There were apples (didn't see any bananas, which is what I was hoping for, but we didn't get down there until about a half hour before breakfast ended), cereal, apple/orange/cranberry juice, coffee and hot chocolate, frozen waffles (a little dry after being left out on the counter for a few hours), bread for toast, bagels, etc. There was a microwave and toaster. The eating area was pretty large, and clean.

Neutral:
- Didn't try the wifi, but it was available.
- Hotel was a bit outdated, but again, the price was right, and it was clean. I don't consider this to be a negative, especially if you're simply looking for a place to spend the night before heading on.
- There is a diner right next door.
- There is also a gas station right across the street. Just make sure you go in the entrance that is not *directly* across the street, as that is the truck entrance and there's no through-traffic to the regular gas station/parking area. Whoops.

Cons:
- The fan in our bathroom did not work. Felt like a swamp after two consecutive showers. (But on the upside, there was enough hot water for two consecutive showers in the morning.)
- Parking lot was noisy in the morning around 7am (which was about a half hour before we ourselves got up), but it's definitely a stop-and-sleep hotel rather than an extended-stay hotel, so that isn't shocking, nor was it so bad that it woke the kids up.

The main issue at this hotel was the extra cot/bedding. I called ahead to verify that they did in fact have cots (otherwise we would have chosen another hotel; we were traveling as a larger than normal party and our particular room consisted of a married couple, a third adult, and two small children whose sleep schedules had been totally thrown off by sleeping in hotels and driving for hours on end for going on two weeks at this point). The woman on the phone told me they did in fact have cots, and that it would be an extra charge of $5 for the cot, and $10 for the extra person. No problem.

Once we arrived, I again verified (same woman as on the phone) that we needed the extra cot, and then paid for the room. We went to the room, unloaded our stuff, and waited about 15 minutes before I called the desk to inquire when the cot would be there. The guy at the front desk sounded very confused and said, "Cot? We don't have any right now..." I explained that we'd paid for one and I would wait while he looked up our receipt. He did so but again told me they didn't have any that were currently useable and that he was in process of refunding my card. I said ok, got off the phone, and we proceeded to negotiate some slightly awkward sleeping arrangements. Ten to fifteen minutes later the front desk called back and said they'd found a cot we could use, but it was 11:30pm at that point and we were all in bed, so we declined and just dealt with it.

At check-out, I verified that my new receipt was correct (it was), and the gentlemen at the desk (I assume the owner? This hotel is independently owned/operated) apologized for the confusion. He was nice about it, and expressed concern over the issue.

Overall, the cot thing wouldn't stop me from staying there in the future (should we ever find ourselves in Roland, Oklahoma, again), as the room itself was clean and comfortable, and was a really decent price for two queens.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 21, 2013

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank SHARON B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roland
Cherokee Casino & Hotel Roland
#12 of 23 in Fort Smith
Days Inn Sallisaw
Days Inn Sallisaw
#4 of 6 in Sallisaw

Been to Americas Best Value Inn Roland? Share your experiences!