“Fine, but nothing special”

Holiday Inn Express Owasso
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Owasso
Champaign, Illinois
“Fine, but nothing special”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I'm not sure why this hotel has quite as many glowing reviews as it does. It was fine. There was nothing terrible about it. But it wasn't anything particularly special, either. The front desk staff was civil, but I surely wouldn't call them friendly. I'd booked my room using my points. Perhaps that was somehow related to it? We had a nice goodie bag in the room when we arrived, which was nice. There was an ancient thermostat in the room that did nothing. The controls were on the actual A/C unit itself. That's fine, but I spent longer than I care to admit to trying to figure out why the thermostat didn't work. They had cookies at the front desk when we arrived, which was lovely, but there was smashed cookie on just about ever surface of the hotel the following day, including in the elevator where the operating certificate holder was present, but no operating certificate. The breakfast was terrific. The nice lady overseeing it did a bang up job. I was most impressed. Things were clean, but there were paint blotches all over the curtains where I suppose the paint was touched up not long ago? The location is relatively convenient. We were in town for a concert in Tulsa, and it was easy enough to get into the city and back. The area felt plenty safe. All in all, I can't really complain since we stayed here for free with our points. But if we were in town again, I might look at my other options.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ShawnaM_CU
GM_Owasso, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Owasso, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
To begin Shawna, I would like to say thank you first off for your review. As you have pointed out, during your recent stay you did encounter some issues, which most of the previous post were not the norm from what you encountered.

I would like to apologize for these items, and let you know that I am quickly working to get caught up.

We are normally a very active and friendly location - but in the past couple of weeks, my ability to do my work was compromised and also put a gloom upon my staff when I fell ill and required a medical heart procedure.

I don't want this taken as an excuse, but it did have a direct impact on all of us.

As for the signage in the elevator, we luckily get to replace this about every two to three weeks, as guests for one reason or another take it with them as a souvenir. (IDK - Just guessing why it keeps getting removed) And that is one of the things I would normally keep up with - just as I have replaced it now.

And the cookie crumbs - Our guest love our cookies, but you are correct, they tend to take it with them and (especially with the children) they tend to drop bits and pieces everywhere. If we were a 24 hour housekeeping location it would be an easy task to correct, but again, this is something that in my walks around the property - I would correct, until which time housekeeping was on property.

Again, I do apologize - after 4 days of being our of the hospital, I am back on the job and still recovering - but I can assure you I am back and the property is quickly getting back to its normal operations.

I hope you will provide us the opportunity to share this with you again on your next visit to the area - I believe you will be impressed.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Wisconsin
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I selected this hotel based on the glowing reviews even though it was a bit out of my way. I just have to do future travelers a favor and throw some cold reality into the mix. I don't mean to come across like this place is horrible, because it's not. However, I would not recommend it.

First, everyone is raving about the front desk staff. We did not experience anything special. Not that it was hostile - it was just "what's your name - here are your keys".

Second, the web site states that 55 of the 60 rooms are non-smoking. However, the lobby smells a little like smoke. The second floor hallway smells more like smoke. The elevator smells even more like smoke. The third floor hallway (which is where you have to go to get ice) really really stinks like smoke. I brought this to the attention of the front desk at night and the response was "huh". I spoke to Shane (who I'm sure will post his take on this review) about it the next morning and he said they would take care of it.

Third, everything about our room screamed half-a**. There was hair in the corner of the bathroom floor. That made me look in all the other corners of the bathroom and the room - all had dirt/dust/whatever. The grout lines between the shower and tile were either peeling, cracked, or completely disintegrated. The web site lists this hotel as having gone through a renovation in February of 2012. I assume this included "painting", which I put in quotes for a reason. There are missed spots all over the place, and I'm talking about fairly large spots, not tiny things here and there. The corners where wall meets wall were completely un-repainted. To make it even more fun, there were large drips of paint on the towel bar and on other places. This is how a room would look if I wanted to paint it in a big hurry, and I wanted to clean it in a big hurry, and I didn't want to do maintenance to keep it looking sharp. That's half-a**.

Fourth, the elevator has no certificate. It does have a nice certificate holder with glue behind it, but nothing in it. I'm not the elevator police, but I'm pretty sure that's some kind of violation.

We didn't end up using the pool, but the sauna was out of order and the exterior pool door was unlocked from the outside which presents a security concern.

The breakfast was good and the girl taking care of it was nice, friendly and helpful.

A couple exits north on the interstate there are a bunch of stores, restaurants, and other hotels. My guess is that may be a better bet to look for a room. Or, just stay closer to Tulsa and don't go out of your way like I did.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank xGBPx
Its nice to know that our guests are reading this and do have an expectation that I would be responding. Thank you!

I can normally match and know who the guest is so that I can best respond, but for some reason I am not able to match your information on Tripadvisor to any guest stay, so I can directly and appropriately respond to your concern.

It appears you had many issues - and as you can tell - they appear to be very unusual in regards to our past guests.

I wish at the time you stated you shared the concern about the smoke smell on third floor where our smoking rooms are located that you also shared with me your other concerns. I am always ready to try to make things right if given the opportunity.

I do want to apologize that during the time you stayed with us we were not up to our best standards. It is not an excuse, but over the past couple of weeks, my health dropped quickly, resulting in a hospital stay and heart procedure. During the time leading up to the condition and procedure, I as well as others noticed a considerable drop in my ability to do the rounds and duties that I normally took care of. It not only took a toll on myself but put a concern and gloom on my staff -

Now that I have returned - even through I am still going through my recovery period, we are and have quickly brought the property back up to the standard our guest have come to expect. We hope in the future if passing through the area - please allow us the opportunity to show you we are just as great as everyone has stated previous -

And if you have an issue - please let us know while on property - you will find just how concerned we are and how far we will go to make it right!

Travelers are raving about these Owasso hotels

Delta Junction, Alaska
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Well-appointed breakfast. It was a packed house but the staff kept things well stocked. Clean and comfortable rooms. Pillows marked with firm and soft for a good night's rest. Nice linens. Good shower. Our check-in was a little rocky and the parking lot was full but overall....great stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Tiki L
GM_Owasso, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Owasso, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Hi Tiki -

Thank You - as much travel as you do and as many hotels as I now you probably stay at - such comments are definitely a morale booster!!!!

If I recall, you were in town for a business related matter, so it is great to hear that we were able to make your long stay a pleasant one.

I apologize about any issue you may have had upon departure, if it is anything that I can take a look at or arrange differently, please feel free to drop me a line here at the property and I will work to make changes to any issue you encountered.

Thank you again - by the way, Nice Outfit!! Bet it was to warm to wear in our humid State of Oklahoma!! But you live in an amazing State!

Shane DeVilbiss
Michael@navikacapital.com
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 12, 2013

This is a very nice hotel that is extremely convenient to the highway (although you don't really hear the highway that much at night). The rooms are very up-to-date and neat; bathrooms are clean and nice; and the staff is very professional and personable. There are plenty of eating options near by or not far away. Overall, my family and I really enjoyed our stay. One suggestion I would make: add a chin up bar/dip station in the fitness room. I understand not wanting to add a complete set of free weights or a machine, but a chin up bar/dip station would allow for body weight exercises along side the treadmill/cardio stations.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Brian W
GM_Owasso, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Owasso, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Brian, Thank you for such a great review! I look forward to sharing with my staff. A

s for your suggestion regarding the chin up bar - that is a Great Idea!

I am actually in the process of selecting new equipment for the fitness center, and that would be a great addition to our center. Thank you for bringing the suggestion to me. I can assure you I will be looking into what all it will take to have one and get it installed.

Hopefully but your next visit to the area, we could very well have one installed.

Again, thank you - and we look forward to having you back - if your travels bring you into the Owasso area again.

Shane DeVilbiss
bartlesville
Reviewed March 18, 2013

we recently stayed at the holiday inn express in owasso oklahoma what a great location not far from the restaurants super easy to find since its right off of highway 169 the rooms were very nice well cleaned and maintained the staff was perfect very nice and gave a wonderful welcome i will stay here again in the future awesome job

Room Tip: wish i could give some tips here was a great experience all around
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dilbert1206
GM_Owasso, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Owasso, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
I would like to say Thank You! It is great to hear our guests comment about the property and our staff. My team works hard and everything you exprienced here is because of them! I look forward to pasing your comments on, as they do appreciate hearing the positives that come from thier work.

Shawnee, KS
Reviewed February 19, 2013

On our way back from Louisiana to Kansas City, we spent the night there; didn't make a reservation ahead of time.....just stopped off the highway not knowing what kind of motel we were stopping at in the way of cleanliness and hospitality. The young man at the desk was very cordial and welcomed us . Room very clean and updated, exercise room was clean, continental breakfast was up to standards and delicious, and at night it was very quet....no highway noise....and you can't beat their fresh cookies!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SusanShawnee_KS
Hot fresh warm cookies - that just about always brings a smile.. thank you! And happy you enjoyed them - we will always have them ready every evening for you - so please thank of us on your next travel through the area. And thank you for the comments - my front desk person Kyle will be happy to hear he was recognized by one of our guests!

If we can be of service in the future, please don't hesitate to call on me or my team - we stand ready to assist as we can!

cu-later67
Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

For the most part a Holiday Inn Espress is a Holiday Inn Express. However, it is all about the staff. From the first step inside you know you will be taken care of. The young man at the desk was very informative and FRIENDLY. The inn was clean And easy to find and only 15 min from Tulsa Airport..will definitely stay again. Only drawback is no airport shuttle

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank cu-later67
I agree! I would very much enjoy havig an airport shuttle available for our property. The location of our property to most of the major airport faucilities makes us a premium location and a shuttle would just make it that much better for our guests! I will share your thought with the powers that be and hopefully, they too will see the need and importance of such a service for our property.

And I can assure you, my team with enjoy hearing the kind words you have shared about them and your stay with us. I look forward to sharing with them in out upcoming meeting,

If any of us can be of assistance, please feel free to contact myself or my team! We all look forward to assisting as we can.

M. Shane DeVilbiss
Also consider these accommodations in or near Owasso
Hampton Inn & Suites Tulsa North/Owasso
Super 8 Owasso Tulsa North Area
Best Western Airport
Best Western Airport
#35 of 108 in Tulsa

Been to Holiday Inn Express Owasso? Share your experiences!