“family History”

Oklahoma History Center
Ranked #15 of 127 things to do in Oklahoma City
More attraction details
Owner description: Bring the past alive at the Oklahoma History Center, Oklahoma’s state museum of history. At the Oklahoma History Center discover the people and stories that truly make Oklahoma unique. From oil and gas to aviation; from the Dust Bowl to space exploration; from tornadoes to the Land Run; from Native American Indians to Route 66, there’s a story of triumph and tragedy, hope and heartache, famous and infamous around every corner.The Oklahoma History Center is a testament to the indomitable spirit that built Oklahoma. With four permanent galleries and a special exhibits hall, guests will explore the more than 200 hands-on interactives and 50 subjects that tell the stories of Oklahoma and its people. We truly have something for everyone, with special events that appeal to all ages. From Civil War Day to Rockabilly concerts, there is always something going on!After visiting our galleries, enjoy lunch at the Winnie Mae Café located on the third floor. Be sure to visit our gift shop, stocked with items from local artists, educational games, souvenirs and much more, it is the perfect place to shop for your Oklahoma fix.Conveniently located in the Capital Complex, the Oklahoma History Center is adjacent to the State Capital and the Governor’s Mansion, both within easy driving or walking distance. The History Center is conveniently located off of I-35 and I-40, with easy passenger pick, drop-off and free motor coach parking.
Gainesville, Texas
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“family History”
Reviewed February 17, 2012

I got some help with my family history, I was looking into my family history and the center had computers ,personal to look up the information on what i was looking for.

Visited February 2012
1 Thank Leonard m

Texas
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Great for an Oklahoma history lesson”
Reviewed February 2, 2012

We had a good time at this museum. The various exhibits were interesting to us as life-long Oklahomans. I'm not sure an out-of-state visitor would have liked it as much. Our only complaint - there are lots of interactive exhibits, but on the day we were there, almost none of them worked. We asked for, and were given rainchecks to try again.

1 Thank oklaborn
Tomkins Cove, New York
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“The real Oklahoma”
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Details the territory and then state of OK with its warts and all.
It is an honest description of the state and how it has evolved from territory to state. Can easily spend a day here absorbing all the wonderful exhibits

Visited December 2011
1 Thank JayH1960
Anywhere, USA
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“We learned so much about Native American tribes and native Oklahomans here.”
Reviewed December 9, 2011

From the moment we walked in the door we were assisted by volunteers who were knowledgeable not only about the history center but also with information about the histories of the people who lived in Oklahoma and were eager to share. The building itself is bright and airy, the exhibits well laid out and well labeled and the variety of information here is amazing. The current displays included those of antique automobiles, some space memorabilia and the show Hee-Haw. The section on Native American tribes in Oklahoma was as good as any in the fifty states we've traveled over the last fourteen years. The pink kitchen of the fifties was just too much fun since I can remember that color well in the homes of some of my friends growing up as a child of that time. Especially of interest to a pair of Buckeyes was the section on the Oklahoma land races of the late 1800s. My husband and I enjoy learning about the history of our country as we travel across the country and the Oklahoma History Center is certainly a place that shouldn't be missed if you are in the area visiting the other highlights of the Bombing Memorial, the National Cowboy Museum, the Fireman Museum, the Softball Hall of Fame and so much more.

Visited December 2011
1 Thank RV_Vagabond
Warsaw, Poland
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Great Gift Shop”
Reviewed December 2, 2011

I visited back in February of this year, and enjoyed the exhibits. I needed some Oklahoma gifts to take back to NY. The gift shop has perfect things - and great stuff for teachers like me!

Visited November 2011