“I didn't know how good I had it here, until I stayed elsewhere”

Best Western Plus Barsana Hotel & Suites
Ranked #49 of 150 Hotels in Oklahoma City
San Antonio, Texas
“I didn't know how good I had it here, until I stayed elsewhere”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I travel every 2 weeks to OKC for business. Due to my client's relocation to the south side of town, my company has been booking me at the Best Western Barsana. Like all places, it's got its positives and negatives, but my stays have been mostly positive.

First, the positives:

The staff is uniformly excellent, always extremely pleasant and helpful. By my second stay, I was treated like an old friend.

The rooms are nice and comfortable, with everything I need: a microwave, a refrigerator, a TV with just about every channel you can think of. I've never had a problem with anything not working properly: toilet, shower, heater, internet.

The fitness room has a small set of dumbells and a bench, along with the cardio equipment (treadmill, elliptical, stationery bike). Sometimes when I'm busy I can't get down there until after it "officially" closes at 10PM, but the staff has always let me get my after-hours workout in anyway. Unlike other places, the fitness equipment is well-maintained.

It's conveniently located for me, about a 5-minute drive to my worksite. The area has everything I need in terms of amenities: lots of restaurants, lots of retail stores, Wal-Mart is about a 5 minute drive away, etc.

They have free coffee at all hours in the lobby. I'm not even that much of a coffee drinker, but it's been very cold on most of my recent trips, and I have definitely taken advantage of this in order to warm up, after coming in from the cold.

Now, on to the negatives (there are only three):

Best Westerns unfortunately tend to cater to families, rather than to business travelers. There have been times when it's seemed the entire hotel is overrun with unruly kids behaving badly, which can get annoying fast.

The sleep timer doesn't seem to work on the remote controls in any of the rooms. I've asked the staff about it, but no one seems to know how to make it work. I like to fall asleep with the TV on, and set the timer so it turns itself off. Well, when I'm staying here, I wind up sleeping with the TV on, which usually makes my night a lot less restful.

Finally, the breakfast is absolutely the worst I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot of hotel breakfasts. They literally offer nothing whatsoever for a health-conscious guest. My usual breakfast of choice is plain, unsweetened oatmeal, and I'll grab a nonfat yogurt to take with me for a mid-morning snack. Well, this place hardly ever has plain oatmeal, only the packed-with-sugar flavored kind. The only brand of yogurt they offer is the children's brand "Trix", which is loaded with fat and sugar. They have 3 kinds of cereal, all of which are packed with sugar as well, and they don't offer any skim milk to pour on it anyway, only whole milk or 2%. No hard-boiled eggs either. The one time I grabbed an apple to go, it was mushy and inedible. It's literally the only place I've ever stayed where they have absolutely nothing I can eat. I've had to purchase my own breakfasts, which cuts into my per diem. I've complained, but they're obviously not interested in changing anything.

At one point I was so annoyed with the breakfast situation and the bratty kids everywhere that I toyed with the idea of asking my company to book me elsewhere. They must have read my mind because on my last trip, for the first time this year, they had me staying at another, presumably more expensive and more prestigious hotel, which turned out to be a total dump with pretensions of grandeur. I hated every second of my stay there, and it made me appreciate my home away from home, the Best Western Barsana.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ezwriter1
BWPlusBarsana, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Barsana Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Ezwriter1,

Thank you for your comments and concerns. The staff and I are looking into the healthy foods options for our breakfast. I would like to apologize for the kids behaving badly. During March we tend to get many families that are traveling for spring break. There are also many conventions in town that flood the City in March and April. The staff is trained to make sure they inform the Parents in case of loud noise. The staff and I are looking forward to your next visit to OKC.

Justin H.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
Reviewed March 27, 2013

We checked into the hotel close to midnight after a very long day of work, school, driving and then flying from Milwaukee, WI. Our heater in our room was loud and inefficient. Our toilet was backed up the first time we used it and always took at least 3 flushes. The water heat and pressure was awful and there was ugly, nasty looking missing tiles in our bathroom. Breakfast was so poor the first day that we are skipping it this morning and paying for breakfast elsewhere. We told them when we left yesterday about the toilet issue. When we got back in late last night after a very full day of college campus visits, the toilet was running (trickling sound) nonstop which kept me awake most of the night.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
BWPlusBarsana, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Barsana Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear Njveldt,

The staff and I would like to thank you for bringing your issues to our attention. It is our goal to make sure every guest has a pleasurable visit. I have personally talked to all of the Department Heads and we will get every one of your issues addressed. I would like to apologize for the discomfort you had to experience at our location. I assure you, that this will not happen during your next visit. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Justin
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed March 20, 2013

This hotel was truely amazing. When i frist arrived their the hotel looked great and the lobby has very friendly and home invinting flowers in the vases. truely make it a home away from home. The room was very big and clean. Bed were comfy. The first morning breakfast was great and beauiful paint job on the wall. I got thier when the food was just put out and fresh so i enjoyed it. The Manager Justin and Sherry were friendly and professional. The business center was great and useful very fast and prints out to!!! There are alot of Restraunts and shopping near by. Sherry recomending an italian food Bella Vista restraunt was truely great and loved it!! The next day i checked out and notice the new art work in the breakfast and behing the front desk counter well i wish i can say it was amazing like my stay. the art work doesnt match your hotel (friendly and invinting theme) what all people like to have home away from home feel. the art was very odd and cheap looking.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
BWPlusBarsana, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Barsana Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Rebecca T,

Thank you very much for your kind words. The staff and I were delighted to here your kind words. We are very grateful to be of service to you and are already looking forward to your next visit. Our apologizes for the modern artwork that was introduced during your visit. We are still playing around with the décor to get the right one in. Once again, thank you.

Justin H.
Austin, Tx. USA
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We have stayed here since the 2nd week they were open. We were attending the funeral of a lifelong family friend’s mother. We had to get a room for the 2nd and 3rd night of the trip. We called the hotel and explained and since they consider us a regular, we received the online rate and saved a few dollars. While the room was clean and the hotel quiet, the breakfast could use some help. The gravy, a little too watery, the egg “discs” were a little too done and a bit chewy. The first day the sausage “Frisbees were bland and flavorless until ‘later’ they came back to remind me about breakfast. The second day the bacon was good. Being in the food service industry, I understand the cost of putting on a free breakfast for people however, since it is included in the cost of the room, that is one reason everyone has gone UP on rates, the least they could do is but the food for quality not cheapness of the price. We will stay there again, I recommend the Jacuzzi suites, small but can be fun !!!!

Room Tip: I recommend the Jacuzzi suites, small but can be fun !!!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
BWPlusBarsana, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Barsana Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Thank you Samatpokejos for taking the time to comment on our facility. The staff and I at the Best Western Plus Barsana Hotel & Suites take every comment seriously and make sure we are going above and beyond our guest expectations. We notified our breakfast hostess and sent an email to our food supplier to see what changes we could implement to better serve our guest. We will have them in place soon. Once again, thank you.
tulsa
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel for a family trip with my 2 adult sons and a young grand-daughter. The room was clean, in a good location for shopping and food. The zoo and science museum are about 20 minutes away but easy to reach from here. I was actually fortunate to get a great rate online which was why I chose this hotel in the first place. Breakfast was standard - waffles, eggs, biscuits, and bacon or sausage. Food wasn't really hot - breakfast from 6-9 -and we got there around 7, however there is a microwave. I mentioned to the desk that they were out of coffee and a fresh pot was made immediately. Staff definitely friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: We had an odd-numbered room which gave us a view of a little park instead of the other hotels
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
amit0923, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Barsana Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
On behalf of the staff of Best Western Barsana Hotel and Suites, I would like to thank you for your kind words. We are truly honored that you chose us for your accommodation needs. We look forward to your next visit to Oklahoma City.