“Worst shower EVER”

GreenLeadersBronze level
South Florida, Florida
“Worst shower EVER”
Reviewed March 10, 2011

I'm a Diamond Hhonors guy so 75+ nights per year just at Hilton properties. With that frame of reference, I cannot recall ever staying at a hotel with worse shower water pressure.

I chose the Skirvin because I like the older historic properties. Many, like the Louisville or DC Capital Hilton are exceptional. The Skirvin has potential but the desk is understaffed and the shower, again, is atrocious. And unfortunately that is a deal-breaker for me.

• Stayed March 2011
MartinvanderLaan, General Manager at The Skirvin Hilton Oklahoma City, responded to this review, March 29, 2011
Thank you so very much for your review and comments. We highly appreciate the feedback. As the current #12th ranked Hilton in the Americas we are very proud of our Team.
I am however very sorry that you did not experience the same as so many others did. We have reviewed our shower situation and believe it to be an unfortunate isolated incident. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
We sincerely hope that the next time you are in town, you will be our guest once again.
Kindest regards,
Martin van der Laan I General Manager I martinvanderlaan@skirvinhilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed January 17, 2011

I was able to get us reservations at the Hilton Skirvin Hotel, and boy, I’m glad I did! The hotel is just as luxurious as the pictures on the Hilton website. The service was absolutely impeccable. Even though our requested room type wasn’t available, the staff was extremely friendly and very apologetic. (They had a large wedding booked on Saturday night.) We had a large room on the 11th floor that was beautifully and comfortably appointed. The beds were new Hilton beds and extremely comfortable – it was like sleeping on a cloud! The bathroom was especially large and there was plenty of room to get ready. The ONE drawback about the hotel was the weak water pressure, but I understand this is an older hotel, and it’s just one of those things. Every time we retrieved the car from valet, they made sure to give us directions AROUND the construction going on downtown and tried to help us find our destination. They would always have the car pulled around by the time we got downstairs. I have zero complaints about this hotel, and it was only three blocks away from the concert hall, so we were able to walk and avoid the traffic! It’s also very convenient to Bricktown and the attractions in that area. Although we didn’t order room service or dine in the restaurant, the piano music coming from the bar was inspiring – it was almost as if we took a trip back in time. I would definitely stay here again, simply basis on the quality of the service received.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bellarina126
Skirvinpaul, Director of Operations at The Skirvin Hilton Oklahoma City, responded to this review, January 20, 2011
Dear Bellarina126,
We too are glad you'd reserved with us!! Thank you for the wonderful comments regarding the service you'd received during your visit with us, as well as about how comfy our beds are. We love hearing about our guest's visits to our hotel and city... it never gets old. Please come see us again soon. Sincerely,
Norman, Oklahoma
Reviewed January 14, 2011

I stayed in a suite. The accommodations were excellent -- very comfy bed/pillows, huge bathroom with upscale finishes. The staff was extremely helpful and kind -- valet service was quick and kind, room service was prompt, concierge was helpful. The lobby and the bar in this hotel are so beautiful. The restaurant is excellent -- delicious steak.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ladyofleisure828
Dear ladyofleisure828,
Thank you so much for the great review. I am so very happy to read how pleasant you'd found our service, accommodations and "steaks" to be during your stay with us. We truly appreciate your comments and look forward to your return visit real soon. Perhaps you can try the "Chilean Sea Bass" on your next stay. Everyone says it is the signature dish of the restaurant. I've had it... I'd have to agree. Sincerely,
Reviewed January 10, 2011

To Whom It May Concern:

The Skirvin Hilton is a beautiful hotel with many wonderful amenities to enjoy.  My husband and I have traveled quite a bit and have stayed in many hotels of the same quality as the Skirvin.  To say the least we did expect certain amenities and behaviors from your establishment.  Unfortunately, the day that we checked in to the Skirvin did not start nearly as well as we would have liked it to.  Let me start a month before our event.

October
Phone Calls to Skirvin - 9 (date 10/06/10 - 11-5-10)

The Day Before the Wedding-
David, my husband, and I were looking at hotels and restaurants in the Oklahoma City area to hold a very intimate surprise wedding.  We decided on the Skirvin Hilton for several reasons.  We first spoke to Holli at the Park Ave Grill and she was able to let us view the private dining room.  She also told us that they do weddings all the time and that they can help us with whatever we may need.  We then went up to the front desk and spoke to guest services.  She went over the basics of the hotel and informed us that they have a limo service on the weekends.  We had planned on renting a limo but because you provide one for your guest we did not rent one.  We even asked if they thought that we should still rent our limo and their answer was no, they would take care of us.  After reviewing all of the pro's and con's of our top three hotels we choose the Skirvin.  I had several face to face meetings with both Mickey and Logan from the Park Ave Grill to get all of the final details ironed out.  Everything was going well until Thursday November 11, 2010 when I called Holli and let her know our wedding cake was finished.  I asked her if we could bring the cake in for them to store or should we store it and bring it right before the event started.  Her reply was that they handled cakes all of the time and we could bring it in and she would take care of it.  Several hours later my husband brought in our cake.  She had us go to the walk-in fridge and had us set it on several drink carts.  I asked her if we could have the cake covered with saran wrap to protect it and she said there was no need because the hotel staff was very careful and that they handled these types of things all the time.  I made the mistake of not pressing the issue.  I have attached pictures of the cake on the bell boy's cart before we gave it to Holli to store.  When my husband showed up to finish the decorations he asked to have the cake brought out.  He noticed the damage to the cake but was unable to take care of the issue at that time because our guest were arriving.  When he spoke to the manager on duty he was shocked at his response.  According to the manager it was our fault that our wedding cake was not correctly stored and that their chef looked at the cake and was unable to fix the damage that had been done.  I am guessing there was a leak in the walk-in area because the top of our cake was completely flattened, the black fondant leaked on the white cake (from water damage), and there where several nicks from people running into it.  The staff at the restaurant did absolutely nothing to fix this before we arrived and when we brought this up to the managerial staff we were told that they were not responsible and that we shouldn't have stored it where we did.  I'm sure you see a couple things wrong with this.  Our cake cost us $400 plus tax and we were under the impression that a nice restaurant like Park Ave Grill would be able to handle a small three tiered cake.  Especially when they are known for having weddings.  After we saw the cake we were also informed that there would be a $50 cutting charge.  This was not listed in our contract and it would have been appreciated if someone had thought to tell us before hand.  My husband had a 20 minute chat, DURING OUR WEDDING DINNER, to get this charge taken care of because of the condition of the cake.  The $50 that was a surprise fee does not compare to having our expensive wedding cake look like crap.  This especially upsets me because we offered to have it stored somewhere else and was told several times that they could take care of it.

Day of the Wedding-
Approx 3 pm
Unfortunate, this was not the last of the malfunctions of the hotel.  Upon checking in to the hotel it was pouring rain.  I had just come from having my hair fixed (for my wedding) and was greatly surprised that I could not get any of the bellboy's attention.  After waiting for 5 minutes in front of the bellboy I started to unloaded my car myself.  I'm assuming the bellboys were having a very interesting talk because not one of them could find the time or energy to help.  I unpacked all of the floral arrangements, candles, and decorations for the private dining room as well as my wedding dress and all of the other items that go along with staying in a hotel by myself.  At this time I was soaked and hair was ruined and I was quite upset.  I waited a couple more minutes and finally butted into their conversation sternly asking if someone could please valet my car.  Christopher had just just walked out of the hotel for the beginning of his shift and apologized for the other bellboys and took care of me the way I should have been taken care of in the first place.

Upon checking in to the hotel I found that without a line the three girls behind the counter were  very busy trying not to make eye contact.  After waiting a couple minutes, while my freshly soaked body dripped on the floor, I finally had to speak up and ask someone to help.  Not one of the girls lifted an eyebrow but only said, "I can get you here."  Her name was Ashley.  She was extremely rude while checking me in she even tried correcting my name.  I actually know how to pronounce my name without Ashley's intervention and her trying to correct me.  Finally when I checked into my room I was relieved that I would not have to deal with anymore with any of the so-called customer service.  I called my husband to let him know that he would have to come early to set up the dining because I was going to have to try to fix my hair.  It was just a sticky mess because of the mixture of rain and hairspray.  He informed me that he had also spoken to Ashley on the phone earlier that day and she was extremely rude to him also.  I am not upset about the rain, in fact I was very pleased it was raining.  I am upset about unpacking my car while there are 3 bellboys doing nothing in front of me and the poor attitude of the ladies at the guest check-in.

7 pm
My husband goes to the Restaurant to start setting up our flower arrangements and decorations and the manager approached him wondering why were were so late.  He had us down for 5pm.  I am going to travel back several weeks and share the conversation that I had with either Mickey or Logan (I cant remember).  I came in for a meeting to discuss all of the details and our special needs since this was going to be a surprise wedding.  In those details we picked out the menu, discussed seating, etc but most importantly time.  They had a booking for the private room and it was scheduled to end at 5pm.  Since our event was at 730 that would provide enough cleaning time to prepare the room for our party and it would give us time to set up the room.  He was fully aware that we would not be arriving to fix the room until 630 or so.  Upon arrival my husband received attitude from him complaining that were were not there at the scheduled 5pm time.  First of all, we did not schedule the room for 5pm.  Second, if there were any problems or concerns they had both my husband phone number and my phone number.  Third, notes were taken during the discussion of our party, why were those note not reviewed prior to our event.  Our cake was damaged, dinner was scheduled for 2 1/2 hours and it lasted over 4 hours.  This bring us to our next problem.

11pm
After dinner I left our guest for a short period of time to have the front desk call for the limo service.  We waited by the valet service saying goodbye to all of our guest, which took roughly 30 minutes.  Still no limo.  I went back up to the desk and was informed that he should be here in an additional 10-15 minutes.  I walked back outside and walked into a conversation between the bellboy and a guest.  All of our guest had complementary valet service however they were still being charged $20 per car plus tip.  I had 24 guest, you do the math.  This is unacceptable.  When bringing up the issue to the bellboy he replied that there was nothing he could do since he had already charged everyone.  He shrugged his shoulders and walked off.  This conversation went on for approx 20 minutes.  At this point we are over 3 hours late to our reception.  I went back up to the desk and asked for the limo drivers phone number.  I was told that they didn't have the phone number (food for thought... how did they call him the last 2 times if they didn't have his number) and that I would have to go to the bellboy to get the phone number.  I walked back outside to get the number from the bell boy and I was told they also didn't have it.  But if I wanted to get the limo I would have to wait on the other side of the building.  I became livid at this point.  I had to get my car out of valet and drive to our reception area.  We had planned on renting our own limo and honestly that was our deciding factor to choose your hotel from the other qualified establishments.  The final time to reach our reception was after midnight.

I am sure that you can see the complete lack of communication in your establishment.  Because of this, when we arrived at our reception our guest had left and our reserved tables had been given away.  The entire day was absolutely unorganized for a hotel of that caliber.  I spent the entire day running around trying to fix the mistakes that your staff caused.  I took every measure that I could to make sure that this event would be stress free and easy for the hotel to manage.  I am sorry that this was not the case.  During the decision process of choosing the Skirvin for our special event the main attraction was a helpful and organized staff and the amenity's offered, such as the limo service.  Those were the deciding factors for choosing your hotel.  We are not people who normally complain about anything but in this case, I felt that a letter was in order.  In fact, we are easy going guest that are okay with just about any surprise.  We have a positive mindset for just about everything.  However, at the end of the day at the Skirvin we had all that we could handle.  I have had better service at a Motel 8.  I would not, in any circumstance wish this type of day upon any of your future guest.  I know that you will take the appropriate actions and speak with your staff.  If you have anymore question or comments you would like to talk to me about please feel free to give me a call

• Stayed November 2010
9 Thank Magmccormick
Dear Magmccormick,
Thank you for selecting our Park Avenue Grill as the location to hold your "surprise wedding." I would like to thank you for the detailed review of your event. In addition, I would also like to thank you for reaching out to us via Hilton's Guest Assistance Center so that we may have this opportunity to address your concerns, as well as investigate into the true nature of what had taken place back in November. We truly appreciate your feedback, and I assure you we will be better operators because of it. All of us here at the Skirvin hope you have a wonderful 2011 and thank you again. Sincerely,
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed December 25, 2010

I had heard that this hotel was the finest in OK City. I would have to agree with that. The rooms are well furnished, great finishes in the bathrooms, bedding is wonderful (for those that demand that pillowtoppy luxury bedding feel, along with at least 6 pillows!) As expected, everything else costs extra (valet/overnight parking is $20/$10), internet access via charge, no minifridges in the rooms, and a very annoying business center that charges you either $.59 or $.69 for each minute of use. The onsite restaurant is quite good; the weekday brunch is very reasonable at approx $14 including a drink; and the weekend bruch is approx $20. Room service is quite good; not great. I ordered a coconut cake for dessert and it was not very good. But then again, I am a very picky dessert eater and most people aren't staying here to order the coconut cake!

Location is quite central to everything; I was going back and forth to the Ok City Community College. Even though that involved highway roads at approx 10 minutes, it was very stress free compared to driving around in Dallas. And really, staying at a hotel that is 3 minutes away would not be much more convenient.

The road construction in downtown right now is TERRIBLE. It is very unnerving at first how many turns you have to make to get back to the highway. But that should not be a reflection on the Skirvin itself. Once you master the counterintuitive turns to get back to 40 west , it isn't so bad.

I thought the staff was very pleasant - and my encounters were mainly with the front desk at check in, the maid service, room service, and valet. Each morning I expected to be gone from 6am and return by 11 am, and the maid service were very accomodating to service my room first, so each day I got back by 11am, the room had been cleaned. The valet were very responsive to bring my car around each time, I was in and out a total of at least 4 times per day.

I booked online and requested 1 extra pillow and 2 extra towels, which I was very surprised to see in my room from the very beginning. I got the unlucky draw of room 1108, which was RIGHT IN FRONT of the elevators, so it got loud at night when people got on/off the elevators. But if not for that exact location, I think the rooms would be very quiet the entire night. But the good thing about this room is it's odd shape and thus is was quite big and roomy.

Again, the room itself had that "high end" feel that I was looking for. The price may be on the high side for OK City, but at $159 (pretax, before all other add-on charges) and without prepaying, no discount, and rather last minute, I thought that was a very reasonable and fair price to pay for 12/16-19/2010.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank MHCA
Houston, Texas
Reviewed December 10, 2010

I traveled with a friend for a concert....my first trip to OKC. This is a re-done historic hotel. I have stayed in regular hotels, and I have stayed in nicer hotels....I THOUGHT THE SKIRVIN WAS WONDERFUL! Every single employee was super friendly....we especially loved NIKI at the front desk (I'm sure they are all terrific, but we spent the most time with her).
Nice room / nice sized bathroom / wide halls.
If I were to head to OKC again, I would make a beeline for this place.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank buttonhead
Tulsa
Reviewed December 9, 2010

My husband and I stayed here on December 8 while attending a concert at the Ford Event Center. The hotel is located in perfect walking distance to both the restaurants and activities of Bricktown and to the concert venue. The hotel felt like a New York City plopped down in the middle of Oklahoma with warm ambiance of red, wood, and chandeliers while combined with a modern feel. The room was nice although the set up of the bathroom door opening in front of the sink was a bit hindersome. We enjoyed the breakfast in the Park Avenue Grill on our departure morning and it was very good - one of the best omelet bars I've had in a while. I would love to visit again.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple