“Beautiful historic hotel in great downtown location!” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Skirvin Hilton Oklahoma City
Ranked #9 of 147 Hotels in Oklahoma City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Richardson, Texas
“Beautiful historic hotel in great downtown location!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2010

I was very impressed at the beauty of this historic property. From the moment I drove up to the property, I was greeted by a friendly and helpful staff. The restaurant food is very high quality and a good value. The rooms are spacious.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2010

We stayed at the Skirvin to celebrate our anniversary. We love the hotel and its proximity to Bricktown.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank astrosgirl7
Skirvinpaul, General Manager at The Skirvin Hilton Oklahoma City, responded to this review, January 6, 2011
We are happy to read you had enjoyed your visit to our hotel, and the surrounding area. We look forward to your return...JDW
Fairfield, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2010

The Skirvin (named for the original owner) was built as the Ornate Hotel and the building lives up to its name. Built in the early 1900's the facade is beautiful, the interior still has many original features (ornate wood trim, georgeous iron works etc..). It's close to everything downtown (Brick Town, the Memorial, The Cox Center).
The staff we dealt with from the doormen to the check-in were young, curtious and friendly. They seem to like their jobs which is hard to find in this day and age. They were all helpful and thanked us on every occasion they could. In fact this became a theme throughout our stay in OKC, they seem to love out of town visitors.
The lobby bar was very lively on a Saturday night and we sat with other guests and a local state representative that was extremely friendly, he was very proud of his downtown district and should be. There were several wedding parties going on and a wonderful piano player on a bright red piano! We were in full costume and skull make up for the March of a Thousand Skulls Halloween parade hosted by the Flaming Lips. We had dozens of people taking our pictures and again thanking us for participating in their town's Ghouls Gone Wild Parade.
We made friends with other guests that were in the parade, some from as far away as North Dakota, New York and Australia.
Our room was on the haunted 10th floor and we did have a few strange occurances and I captured an interesting photograph. The rooms are very nice and the beds are comfortable. I love the bathroom, filled with oversized towels and plenty of vanity room (even had a magnifying mirror).We had room service for breakfast (lox and cream cheese on homemade flatbread which was delicious).
We spent last New year's Eve in OKC for the Flaming Lips concert and will be returning this year for it again...we love this hotel and will stay here again. The city should thank Wayne Coyne and the Flaming Lips for bringing in visitors from all over the world. Their events are a huge draw.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank feedmefarms
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2010

This was my first stay at the Skirvin. I can now see why my coworkers from out of town always want to stay there. The hotel is very nice, very classy. The rooms are extraordinary. Very comfortable. The staff is excellent.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank OklahomaTraveler055
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2010

The historic Hilton is really beatifully renowated. The rooms have nice colours and fabrics and everything is confortable. Being and old building, you have, however, good isolation, so you dont´t have to listen to what they are talking in the next room and the airconditiong is working queitly and you feel confortable in the nicely decorated room.

We had breakfast and also lunch buffet at the hotel, and both were good. The bar had a good atmoshere and the service at the hotel was good. The only thing to remark is the reception, who did not really know much about the surroundings (they were very polite and wanted to be helpful), they did not quite know where the capitol was situated and mixed it up with the town hall. Never mind, we found there and the next day, when asked if we got there, I did not have the hart to correct the nice woman at the reception.

You are practically in the Brick Town and can walk back to the hotel in the evening, the street lights are good and one can feel secure.

The wallet service worked good, too, so should we come back, there is only one choice of hotel, the Skrivin Hilton.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kauniit
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2010

I am a Hilton Honors member who has been traveling with Hilton for business and leisure for several years. I say this to say that I have had a great deal of interaction with Hilton staff members and programs. While the Skirvin Hilton is one of the more aesthetically pleasing hotels (uniquely vintage architecture and a fabulously renovated interior) it was one of my most unpleasant Hilton stays. The only friendly staff members were the valet attendants. The front desk staff attendant barely greeted me and made no effort at conversation while checking me in. When she finished, she simply handed me a key and gave no mention of the hotel amenities, parking costs, or even the location of my room and the elevator! I grabbed my key and asked if breakfast was included. She answered shortly. I then asked if WIFI was available and she replied, “It isn’t free”. Interesting answer considering I did not ask about the cost. Her manager chimed in about how to connect to the internet and I asked him about additional amenities. He was helpful but not friendly, annoyed is probably a more fitting description of his attitude. I finally asked about restaurants in the area and the manager made a few suggestions. I have never felt more unwelcomed at a hotel in my entire life. I would hate to think that this treatment occurred because I am African-American but I have to admit that the thought crossed my mind. However, there were no other customers around to which I could compare my experience.

In short, this is a great looking hotel but the front desk staff could use some customer service training….or perhaps a change in career.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank SChambers06
Dallas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2010

Loved everything about the Skirvin Hilton, and I cant imagine that there is another hotel of its equal in OKC. The Red Piano Bar was very cool, and if you like beer, then Tapwerks over in the Brickyard is a must visit. OKC in general was much nicer than I expected, and you can't go wrong with the Skirvin!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank DallasDoobie
sphouser, General Manager at The Skirvin Hilton Oklahoma City, responded to this review, September 22, 2010
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your positive experiences with the Skirvin Hilton. We especially appreciate the positive feedback on Oklahoma City as a dynamic destination for that perfect week-end getaway. We hope to welcome you back soon.

John Williams. General Manager