“NIcer than expected”

The Skirvin Hilton Oklahoma City
Ranked #9 of 151 Hotels in Oklahoma City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 9, 2007

I stayed at this Hilton for 2 nights during a business trip. The hotel is conveniently located 2 blocks away from the Cox Convention Center. The facade is very nice and has a historic feel. The rooms are also pretty nice. The staff was very friendly and helpful. My impression is that this was the nicest hotel in the area.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank anna78
There are newer reviews for The Skirvin Hilton Oklahoma City

Reviewed August 5, 2007

We decided to spend a anniversary getaway weekend at the Skirvin. First off, a beautiful hotel! Most of the renovations have been done very well, some are so-so (like lighting in the piano bar, looks like they just cut holes in the ceiling & stuck the lights in). The staff was very friendly, and the maid service was also good. The self-parking is convenient.

What I didn't like:

$9.95 a day for internet? Ridiculous for a hotel of this caliber.

No tub in the suites. I called the front desk once we got to the room & was told that there are no tubs in any of the suites. Hmmm, not what it says on the Hilton site, and not what I would expect in a high-end suite. The walk-in shower is good sized, but with no heater in the bathroom and the huge gap in the glass, I shivered any time I was not directly under the water. Not enjoyable.

Lots of noise from the hallways. I travel with a white sound machine which still couldn't block all the noise. If you're a light sleeper like me, bring earplugs.

Bar prices are pretty high, we went down to have a pre-dinner cocktail. Almost $20 for a Corona and a glass of house wine, pretty steep for the OKC area.

Overall, we had a nice weekeend, and loved the comfy beds, the tons of pillows, the two TVs. Bricktown is close enough to go enjoy, and exploring the hotel was a lot of fun. Just not exactly what we have come to expect from a high-end suite in a historic hotel. We'll try the Colcord the next time we are in OKC, or go back to the Ambassador in Tulsa.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank OKGirl
Reviewed July 11, 2007

I actually did a tour of the property while I was in Oklahoma City. I am from Oklahoma and have been anxiously awaiting the reopening of this legendary hotel. I was blown away by the amount of work they have done to bring her back. From the grillwork and hand carved woods, to the painstaking detail on the exterior, I think she must look very much the same as she did in 1911, albeit with some modern improvements. The signature decor color is red and they have built around this beautifully. A nice touch is the embroidered bedspread in each room detailing the history of the hotel. These can be purchased in the hotel's gift shop, The Painted Door. Also noteworthy is the Red Piano, a swanky bar just off the lobby entrance. If you're in OKC for a special occasion, or just want the opportunity to be pampered for a weekend in Old World western style, then this is the place for you.

Stayed: July 2007
4  Thank Sthomas68
Reviewed June 17, 2007

I was driving cross-country and just needed a place to rest my head for the night and I found a good rate for this hotel so I decided to give it a try. My my, am I glad I did!

The building itself is beautiful, inside and out. The lobby makes quite an impression with its massively high ceiling and black chandelier. The restaurants, though I didn't dine in them, looked cool and contemporary (and busy!). And the room? Stunning...complete with a million pillows and a flat-screen TV.

Actually the only gripe I had was that they had the gall to charge for Internet access in the room. You would think that such a nice property would avoid that.

But still...highly, highly recommended. I just hope that I can stay longer next time!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank slipping