“Wonderful renovation” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Dallas
“Wonderful renovation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

I remember the original Skirvin from the 80's, and I was excited to see how the renovation compared to my memory. They did a fantastic job! The lobby is gorgeous with tall luxurious draperies and beautiful dark wooded furniture. They did keep pieces of the previous hotel in the emerald green and brass elevator doors and glimpses of the old flooring.

I traveled with my husband and 4 year old son, and the staff upgraded us to the suite (I am assuming there isn't much hotel traffic on the night of January 1). It was amazing. It included a nice sized bedroom and large living area with a couch (not pull-out). My son and I loved the large windowsills that allowed us to sit in them and look out over the city.

We also used the pool, which is in the basement and is somewhat small, but it fit our needs perfectly.

If I were to make a negative comment, I would say the hotel needs to fix the lack of amount of lighting in the bathroom. In our suite there was a light over the shower, but there was only a small built-in light fixture (the size of a small track lighting fixture or smaller) over the vanity and sink. Just one. It was absolutely impossible to see anything much less put on make-up or fix your hair. I've never seen a sink area so dimly lit. I would recommend a sconce over the mirror (and there's room to add this).

The parking is either by valet for $20/night or save money and use the self-parking garage next to the hotel for $7/night. It was very easy to use.

All in all, I highly recommend this hotel for business or pleasure. They really did a terrific job in preserving a historic landmark in the heart of Oklahoma City.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank the_pilots_wife

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2009

Friends and I took the Amtrak train from Fort Worth to Oklahoma City for a short, weekend trip back in October. We really enjoyed the train ride--lots of room onboard. We stayed at the Hilton Skirvin for two nights and enjoyed our experience immensely. The hotel has a lot of old-world charm, but the rooms have been updated nicely. It is truly a top-notch hotel. Don't miss the OKC Bombing Memorial (unforgettable) as well as the Oklahoma City Museum of Art (the Dale Chilhuly permanent exhibit is amazing!). And the people of Oklahoma City are the nicest you'll find anywhere!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank KeithD61
reading berks uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2009

second visit to the Skirvin the other being in 2007. fabulously restored and I rate their restaurant better than other establishments charging more. With rooms you get what you pay forbut hey I don't go on holiday to spend my time in a hotel room. Staff were friendly [ perhaps the English accent helps ] and helpful. I shall possibly go back a third time

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank charliepjs
Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2009

My husband and I received a Skirvin gift card for a wedding present last year so we booked a room to celebrate our first anniversary. When checking in, the desk clerk congratulated us on our anniversary. I was shocked because he had mentioned it very quickly when he booked the room....atttention to details is amazing! The rooms were beautiful and the bed was sooo comfy! We loved the Red Piano Bar and thought the staff was so friendly. We had room service and hated that we had eaten dinner in Bricktown without knowing how fabulous the food was at the Skirvin. Note to self....if you're staying at the Skirvin...eat there! All in all, our first anniversary was amazing. My husband and I are beyond pleased with the accomidations, staff and atmosphere.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TammyC25
OKC, OK.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2009

My husband & I stayed here on a Saturday night for a nice romantic getaway. I had booked online the "romance package" We checked in our room & to our surprise had recieved a room with double beds? After speaking with the manager, he said he could get us a king room but would take about 30 min. An hour & a half later we call down to the front desk & yes, they had a new room for us but no one had bothered to call & let us know or bring us a key. The rooms are very nice & the beds are wonderful! We were slightly dissapointed with the noise factor. Kids were running down the hall, then I heard a dog barking & howling? I called the front desk, & yes, they do let guest have pets, but would try to take care of noise because I was second guest to complain. At 2:00 am I heard a loud ruckus in hall from a bunch of guys & at 2:30 woke up to the fire alarm asking everyone to evacuate the building. Again called front desk & was told it was a false alarm! (I'm sure the drunk guy's in the hallway set it off!) Anyway, breakfast was awesome, room service was right on time, everything was quiet. We were charged for breakfast even though it was supposed to be included in our package, but again the manager took care of it. I have mixed feelings about the Skirvin. Rooms are nice, beds were extremely comfy, breakfast was great, but I was dissapointed in a 5 star hotel being so loud & the guests so inconsiderate. Maybe it was the weekend thing, several weddings & brides in the hotel. I think we will stay during the week next time:)

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank davco1
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2009

We were in OKC for a wedding and loved the Skirvin. The rooms were very nice and the reception rooms were also great. Didn't eat in the restaurant but room service was excellent - especially the Carrot Cake! And the Thai Buffalo Wings. And the Sausage Pepperoni Flat Bread...
As for the person posting multiple times under different names about theft, the safe is plenty big enough for TWO laptops. And any "frequent business traveller" will tell you that we CAN be bothered to use the safe. It's only the rookie traveller that doesn't lock their vaulables safely away.
BTW - The desk in the room was a very nice sized workstation for the time spent online.
The proximity to Bricktown was a bonus as we spent a few evenings there as well.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SoManyPlaces2C
Zug, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2009

This hotel is beautiful, and within walking distance to the new river walk area in Oklahoma City. Upon arrival we were upgraded to a suite. WOW. The bed was amazingly comfortable, and the separate living area was more like a living room in someone's house! Both rooms had flat screen tv's, and were beautifully decorated. We had a nice dinner in the hotel's restaurant, which was a little pricey, IMO, but was quite good, and the service was perfect.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple