“Brilliant”

The Skirvin Hilton Oklahoma City
Ranked #10 of 154 Hotels in Oklahoma City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 23, 2008

Right from the word go my Wife and I were treated like royalty - the valets were friendly and helpful, the bellhops were exceptionally friendly, knowledgeable and helpful, we could not have been made to feel more welcome. The room was lovely, briliantly clean and nicely appointed with good views over the city. The bathroom was lovely.

We ate in the restaurant in the evening, which although a little pricey served excellent food in a good atmosphere. The bar was nice, but again quite expensive.

Room service delivered breakfast to the room and again, the staff were very friendly and happy to help. I did mess up with the breakfast order though, and somehow managed to order myself 2 full plates of food - nice as it was I couldn't eat the lot (although I had a good go....).

All in all a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bosseye
Write a ReviewReviews (1,613)

Reviewed October 9, 2008

It's pretty obvious this grand old hotel has been recently remodeled & refurbished. The lobby is impressive with a nice piano bar and restaurant on the first floor. Each night there are different happy hour specials. Valet or self parking is available across the street. The self parking ($10/day) is about 1/2 the price of valet. Once parked we didn't move the car for our 3 day stay. Do check-in and have your luggage taken to the room before you park! Our room was a large king standard (about $149/night) on the 8th floor. The room was quiet w/very little hall or outside traffic noise. We were very disappointed in the maid service our first day. We had no washclothes and a bathtowel with blood stains was in the bathroom when we arrived. After a phone call this was taken care of but we expect better at a Hilton. There is a nice fitness center. There is also a business center where you can rent computers w/internet access. We were vacationing so the location was great for our tourist needs. There is a trolley stop across the street. There are 3 trolley lines that take you to almost every tourist location...Bricktown, OKC Memorial, Stockyards, etc. Each ride is $.25 or you can get an all day pass. Depending upon the line you use trolleys run every 20 min-40 min. You could also walk about 5-6 blocks to Bricktown or the OKC Memorial. We did some walking and felt safe during daylight. There are also underground walkways with an access point at the Hilton. We did not eat in the Hilton restaurant. Our favorite restaurant was Nonna's in Bricktown.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank naiad51
Reviewed September 29, 2008

We stayed at the Skirvin for the first time this weekend for a wedding at the hotel. The hotel is very nice. Check in went very smoothly, valet parking was $20, self parking $10. We choose valet. The rooms are nice with plenty of room. Flat screen TV, very comfy bed. Spent some time at the piano bar just off the lobby. Great service. All in all this was a great stay. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AndyPG07
Reviewed September 5, 2008

I spent less than 24 hours in this hotel, but it made a big impression on me. The Skirvin is truly a beautiful hotel that has flare and class with a unique blend of history in a modern style. Local people in my group told me it has been remodeled. It is beautiful place.

The Skirvin has a bar and restaurant. I spent time in both and the food in the restaurant was fantastic. There is an exercise room. Apparently the rooms are not all the same size. Upon my check-in, the girl told me I had a corner room. I asked if it was an upgrade. Officially it wasn't, but a corner room has two windows and a little more space than a room in the hall. If having a corner room is important, I had a room number that ended in 05. My boss had another corner room that ended in 01. A colleague had a room that was a hall room and he said his was comparable to a college dorm room. The room was immaculate. A very comfortable stay overall.

Valet is offered for $20 for 24 hours with unlimited come and go. Self-park is $10.

The staff was tops. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank fquinter
Reviewed September 2, 2008

My wife and I booked a room for two nights to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. About 8 PM the first night a bell-hop tried to deliver some else’s luggage to our room. About 20 minutes later, a couple, a bride and groom, UNLOCKED OUR DOOR and started to enter the room. At this point the groom and I conferred and realized that I had been checking in under his name (our last names were vaguely similar in that his also began with the letter “P”). After spending 20 minutes in the lobby resolving this problem and being harassed by the bride’s family for having “stolen” their room and luggage, I returned to our room with apologies from the gentleman at the front desk.

Twenty-five minutes later the assistant manager appeared at our door with two bell-hops and asked if they could look through our room for the bride and groom’s luggage, even after I explained that we had sent it back down earlier. This, the third interruption in our night, was simply unforgiveable and my wife and I were left feeling frustrated and harassed.

Finally, on Sunday our room was still not made at 5 PM. After a request to the front desk the room was somewhat picked up, though not at all thoroughly, by the time we came back at 9 PM.

A follow-up letter to the manager was unanswered. Does anyone care that I spent $300 for a ruined weekend?

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
6  Thank sprill
Reviewed August 17, 2008

I read the last review and after my experience I had to write. The person who had all complaints about the Hotel Skirvin and then said they hoped Sheraton was available next time had the opposite experience that I did. I actually stayed at the Sherton the first nite and checked out immediately the next morning. (I would have not stayed except it was 11Pm and we were tired)
The next day I called the Skirvin when I knew I would be staying another nite. I did not get there till 9PM but wish I had gone sooner. It was a wonderful fresh room, great bed and good service with friendly staff. Unlike the Sherton the nite before we were offered help immediatly upon our arrival, but as it was myself alone being dropped off by my 24 year old son I really didn't need help. They checked me in immediatly. I look forward to many future trips and staying at the Skirvin as my son is going to school there the next 3 years. It will definately be my base in OKC and I am so glad to know about the limo as his apt is just a few blocks away. I think we may plan Thanksgiving dinner there!!!!! The food looked wonderful and the lobby bar was beautiful.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 13, 2008

We stayed at the Hilton during our trip to the city for a conference. We rented 6 hotel rooms for Two Hundred a piece. We fell in love with the hotel to begin with (when we pulled up) but when we came up to the building with suitcases we were not offered any help. Considering only two of the group of twelve were men surprised me very much. We waited 15 minutes for the one check in clerk to check in one person. I couldn't believe how long it took. we had already paid for the rooms and parking. After 30 more minutes we were all checked in and headed to our room. It was beautiful to say the least. The first night was great. They had a limo that you only had to tip to get around downtown. The next day the toilet in our room sprung a leak and we were moved to another room. We accidentally left a phone charger in the first room and ran back up there to get it in 15 minutes and it had already disappeared. We could not believe that for $19 dollars a person that the buffet breakfast was the same thing they would serve a golden corral for $9. Which for those of you that are going to stay at the hotel golden corral is 10 minutes down the road and the limo will take you to MC Donald's for a tip and a large Diet coke. Well the rest of our stay was less eventful until we went to check out. The parking we had paid for when we had booked the rooms was double charged. Technically they increased the price of the room so we would have to pay them an extra $60 for our stay per room. Well Lets just say we got our $60 back after a fight with the hotel management.

Overall next year when we go on the trip we will stay at the Sheraton. They were booked up this time. It was too bad.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank atkjanzen