“What a nightmare” 1 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“What a nightmare”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2008

My wife and I booked a room for two nights to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. About 8 PM the first night a bell-hop tried to deliver some else’s luggage to our room. About 20 minutes later, a couple, a bride and groom, UNLOCKED OUR DOOR and started to enter the room. At this point the groom and I conferred and realized that I had been checking in under his name (our last names were vaguely similar in that his also began with the letter “P”). After spending 20 minutes in the lobby resolving this problem and being harassed by the bride’s family for having “stolen” their room and luggage, I returned to our room with apologies from the gentleman at the front desk.

Twenty-five minutes later the assistant manager appeared at our door with two bell-hops and asked if they could look through our room for the bride and groom’s luggage, even after I explained that we had sent it back down earlier. This, the third interruption in our night, was simply unforgiveable and my wife and I were left feeling frustrated and harassed.

Finally, on Sunday our room was still not made at 5 PM. After a request to the front desk the room was somewhat picked up, though not at all thoroughly, by the time we came back at 9 PM.

A follow-up letter to the manager was unanswered. Does anyone care that I spent $300 for a ruined weekend?

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank sprill

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2008

I read the last review and after my experience I had to write. The person who had all complaints about the Hotel Skirvin and then said they hoped Sheraton was available next time had the opposite experience that I did. I actually stayed at the Sherton the first nite and checked out immediately the next morning. (I would have not stayed except it was 11Pm and we were tired)
The next day I called the Skirvin when I knew I would be staying another nite. I did not get there till 9PM but wish I had gone sooner. It was a wonderful fresh room, great bed and good service with friendly staff. Unlike the Sherton the nite before we were offered help immediatly upon our arrival, but as it was myself alone being dropped off by my 24 year old son I really didn't need help. They checked me in immediatly. I look forward to many future trips and staying at the Skirvin as my son is going to school there the next 3 years. It will definately be my base in OKC and I am so glad to know about the limo as his apt is just a few blocks away. I think we may plan Thanksgiving dinner there!!!!! The food looked wonderful and the lobby bar was beautiful.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Oklahoma
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2008

We stayed at the Hilton during our trip to the city for a conference. We rented 6 hotel rooms for Two Hundred a piece. We fell in love with the hotel to begin with (when we pulled up) but when we came up to the building with suitcases we were not offered any help. Considering only two of the group of twelve were men surprised me very much. We waited 15 minutes for the one check in clerk to check in one person. I couldn't believe how long it took. we had already paid for the rooms and parking. After 30 more minutes we were all checked in and headed to our room. It was beautiful to say the least. The first night was great. They had a limo that you only had to tip to get around downtown. The next day the toilet in our room sprung a leak and we were moved to another room. We accidentally left a phone charger in the first room and ran back up there to get it in 15 minutes and it had already disappeared. We could not believe that for $19 dollars a person that the buffet breakfast was the same thing they would serve a golden corral for $9. Which for those of you that are going to stay at the hotel golden corral is 10 minutes down the road and the limo will take you to MC Donald's for a tip and a large Diet coke. Well the rest of our stay was less eventful until we went to check out. The parking we had paid for when we had booked the rooms was double charged. Technically they increased the price of the room so we would have to pay them an extra $60 for our stay per room. Well Lets just say we got our $60 back after a fight with the hotel management.

Overall next year when we go on the trip we will stay at the Sheraton. They were booked up this time. It was too bad.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank atkjanzen
New Richmond, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2008

Stayed in the Skirvin Hilton for four nights this July. It is a beautifully restored building and the rooms are first class.
I appreciated the spacious exercise room.

My only complaints would be the lack of a coffee shop or smaller restaurant and I did not like the self parking.

• Liked — Beautiful rooms and public spaces
  • Disliked — Self parking
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
Overland Park, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2008

This is a very nice hotel that has customer service as part of its culture. Eligant finishes. Very nice. Rooms are clean and quiet. RIght downtown, close to everything.
Only negative is that they charge for computer in the business center.

Stayed July 2008
austin,tx
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2008

We were in town for a family wedding. Our stay was wonderful at this downtown beautifully restored hotel. The bell hops, front desk staff, restaurant staff, all staff were just great!
We had two small children with us. They enjoy the pool and rides in the elevators.
Our room was very comfortable, quiet and beautifully decorated.
The breakfast buffet was fabulous! The hotel had so much charm, history, character, style, and great service. We would definitely return.

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — Parking garage was separate from the hotel, but don't mind the walk.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank sljAustin_tx
Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2008

The service at the Skirvin is top notch. We felt comfortable from the moment we walked in. We arrived early in the morning and were pleasantly surprised to find a room ready and waiting for us. This proved to be a great convenience because it gave us the opportunity to drop off our luggage and begin a day of sight-seeing. When we returned to the hotel latter in the afternoon, hot and tired, we asked a member off staff where the pool was located, and he graciously showed us the way. The pool was very clean and beautiful. Our room was the same. We had dinner at the hotel restaurant, The Park Ave. Grill, and our waiter was extremely professional and friendly. The food was excellent.

• Liked — Courteous staff, Cleanliness, Refined decor
  • Disliked — Loud piano in lounge
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple