“Beautiful old hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Chicago, Illinois
“Beautiful old hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

This hotel is a beautifully renovated building and we had a lovely suite when we visited Oklahoma City for a wedding recently. Everything about the hotel was beautiful from the lobby to the elevators to the hallways to our suite on the 10th floor. Our suite had a large living area with a full size desk, sofa & 2 chairs, large TV, several tables & lamps. It was lovely. The bathroom had a large shower (no tub) and two sinks. Nice toiletries from Peter Thomas Roth were provided.

I have two complaints, however. The water pressure in the shower was almost non-existent. And the second thing irritated me more. We booked on Expedia and the booking indicated that there was free wifi. When we got to the hotel, we were told that it was $9.95 per day per device. This is, in my opinion, ridiculous. First of all, I'm really tired of ANY hotel in the US charging for wifi. The US is not some 3rd world country. It's akin to charging me for cable TV. But it's even worse when you are told that it is free & then get charged, and charged PER DEVICE. We should not have our stay in a "5 star" hotel marred by anything like this, and frankly, it makes me upset enough that I dropped the hotel from a 5 star to a 3 star, just because of this.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Roseann G, General Manager at The Skirvin Hilton Oklahoma City, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Good Afternoon,
Thank you so much for writing about the positives and negative experiences or feelings you have. While we love the beauty of our Grand Dame she is 102 years old and her bandwith capability is not yet up to all them modern technology. For that reason we are forced to outsource and of course that brings substantial price.
We are looking up your rooom and will check the water it is not a problem that I have been made aware of so please except my sincere apologies...

My Best and hope to see you soon....Roseann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Johnson City, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

Excellent! My husband and I truly enjoyed this amazing experience from the moment we walked through the door, everything was different. The personnel at this hotel bend over backwards to take care of it's customers! The food was excellent as was the service. Great weekend experience or a nice respite if your just passing through.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Constance,
Thank you for sharing your amazing time at the Skrivin Hilton!
We are so happy when we can create memories that will last a lifetime....good luck on your journey...Be Safe,
Houston, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

Fabulous hotel with mixed results on the quality of the rooms. 2 Stays with 50/50 results regarding the room. The first room during stay #1 was incredible and I made a second trip to OKC and stayed in the same hotel. The room for the second stay smelled like old cigarette smoke. The people and service are first class.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Eugene,
Thank you for taking the time to bring this to my attention. I am looking up your room and will have it deep cleaned. We are a smoke free hotel and we wish that people would honor that always.
I apologize deeply for the inconvienience.
Norman, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

My AC was out and everywhere in Norman was full I called and Michael helped me get a reservation spur of the moment and Justin and Garis were friendly and greeted me, and welcomed me into the air condition'd lobby. For any history nerd, this is the best place to stay! So man great pictures of OKC and the view from my room was amazing!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for taking the time to write to us.....

We are glad we stole you away from Norman!! I am so happy you appreciated the beauty of the Skirvin!
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

Excellent service. Rooms and beds and baths make you feel relaxed and pampered. Staff extremely polite, efficient, and ready to serve your needs. Perfect for a get-a-way for couples and friends. The rib eye steak in the restaurant is the best I have ever had! Skirvan Hilton in OKC is the Bomb!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Roseann G, General Manager at The Skirvin Hilton Oklahoma City, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Thank you for your great comments about our beautiful hotel....We are thrilled that you are so happy with all that you did here in OKC. I am glad you loved the food!!!
All my Best,
Hollis, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

The Skirvin is a very nice place to stay. No parking lot but there is a parking garage nearby. Rooms are very comfortable and beds are very soft. They sometimes run weekend specials where you can get a really great price

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Roseann G, General Manager at The Skirvin Hilton Oklahoma City, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about your experience at the Skirvin. We are honored to be the caretakers of such a great property.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

What a great hotel. Too often we choose to stay in "cookie-cutter" hotels built using the same model from one city to another. That's why you ought to consider the Skirvin Hilton.

First, take what you know about Hilton stays and store that in memory. Now take the hotel that was built 80 years ago. Roons are lsrge and spacious. Bathrooms are large. The meeting rooms were classic but still modern. The entire hotel is quite awesome. I can't find any real fault in it.

Now plug what you expect from Hilton and you're staying at a first-class facility. This is a stay you need to make in OKC.

I stayed on the seventh floor and attended meetings on the 1st, 2nd and 14th. I only used the elevator twice. Take the stairs. They Re not hidden away - they actually wrap around the elevators encouraging you to use them (note to self: find out how many calories you burn climbing 20 stairs per floor).

I hope I have the opportunity to return... this was a great experience!

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write "if walls could talk..." We feel so fortunate to be a part of such amazing history....and this grand old girl is 102.... We think that she only gets better with age!!! Just like a fine wine...