“great stay”

Ranked #9 of 154 Hotels in Oklahoma City
GreenLeadersBronze level
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Great stay! Hotel personell very professinal and helpful...love love love the bar area Red piano with nice music playing and great atmosphere...definitely recommend this hotel also because of location...within walking to eateries and other nightlife

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
MartinvdL, General Manager at The Skirvin Hilton Oklahoma City, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Glad you enjoyed your experience and had a great stay. I appreciate the recognition of our amazing staff, the great location for both business & entertainment and our famous Red Piano Lounge. I thank you for your recommendation and hope to see you soon for a return visit.
Martin van der Laan I General Manager I martinvanderlaan@skirvinhilton.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,608)

Reviewed July 22, 2013

The Skirvin Hilton in Oklahoma City is an excellent hotel with tremendous service. I travel on business and tend to like hotels with a history which the Skirvin has in spades since it was built in 1911. The architecture and beauty of this hotel is very inviting. It is an absolutely gorgeous hotel that has been renovated and restored to its original glory. It reminds me a lot of the Brown Palace Hotel in Denver. But it has all the modern necessities and accents that combine the old with the new. Especially the red piano in the bar! The kindness and service the hotel employee's offer from check in to check out is wonderful. They all make you feel like you are their first concern and part of the family even if you are travelling alone which I often do. Special acknowledgement to Brittani at the front desk and the phenomenal service of Crystal, Taylor and manager Kelly for making my solo dining experiences at the restaurant comfortable and less awkward. They really do everything there throughout your stay to make the business traveler comfortable. The daughter of the original owner was Perle Skirvin Mesta who was person who was originally pegged as "the hostess with the mostest" since she was a well known legendary socialite in Washington D.C. throwing parties for likes of Presidents Truman and Eisenhower. You can see why the Skirvin treats their guests just the same, as if they are all special. The rooms are large and the beds comfortable and kept very clean and neat. I highly recommend this hotel for anyone who may travel to the Oklahoma City area. Priced on the higher end of the scale but worth it! Well done!!

Dear Rose C,
Such a detailed and historically correct review. Can't thank you enough for recognizing the great Red Piano Lounge, the service in general, Brittany at the Front Desk and Crystal, Taylor and Kelli in the Park Avenue Grill. We continue to have a historic commitment to delivering excellent experiences to our guests and I am thrilled that we were able to create that memory for you.
I appreciate you taking the time to bring us such a distinguished review.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

I stayed at the Skirvin for the first time and was pleasantly surprised by how how charming and beautiful the hotel is. My room was very large and nicely furnished. The lobby is very old world. The service was good, but not exceptional.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
MartinvdL, General Manager at The Skirvin Hilton Oklahoma City, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Dear csaldivia,
Thank you for your review and I am thriled you had an enjoyable experience at our beautiful , historic hotel which was named after William B. Skirvin, the original 1911 developer, builder and owner of the Skirvin Hilton. We hope to see you soon for a return visit.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Visiting cusotme rin Oklahoma City,m of you are gong to stay downtoewn the Skirvin is the place to stay, i have stayed at the Westin and Renaisance, but the old world charm get me every time.
They have great active lobby bar and all the convention rooms are well apoointed, i have some people complaining about the size of the rooms but i can't complain at all very comfortable and well appointed.
Had not a chance to try the restaurant onsite but i understand it is delightfull

So if staying downtown OKC do not miss thie Hilton gem!

Dear Jon U,
Thank you for taking the time to review our awesome property. I appreciate that you highlighted the historic delights of the property as well as the Red Piano Lounge, the Park Avenue Grill, our terrific meeting space and our great rooms. She is indeed a special gem. See you soon for a retun visit.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

I stayed here for a week while I worked an event at the Cox Arena. I read the reviews before I left about several people that were annoyed by the sweet smell in the lobby. I came prepared and was not bothered by it at all. I am curious to why the hotel can't find the source though - one of the mysteries of this old hotel. I got to my room late and wanted to close the drapes in my room. I COULD NOT reach the drapes to close them because they are behind the tv, dresser and desk that are pushed together in a row. My room being in the corner of one of the curves, it faced another room and I was going to find a way to close those drapes. It took me standing on top of the desk and dresser to close them and I am not short! I never reopened them as to not do this dance again. I was not alone as there were 8 of us staying there in much of the same type of rooms with all the same problem. The room was nicely appointed with nice furnishings and a great bathroom but no one was able to book king beds and the doubles were almost the size of twins. I couldn't image a family sharing 2 double beds. I am not too sure how many kings are available as the hotel wasn't that busy. However, we were able to get a hotel website rate better than the Hampton Inn down the street. Can't complain about that! The shower pressure was poor and after speaking to others, it seemed it was my shower. I called maintance and they said it was an old hotel and that was about all I was going to get. I did use the gym downstairs and the treadmills were top of the line, clean with a towel waiting at each one. Cold water was also available for after your workout. I did also appreciate the free water in the room. I took one each morning with my walk to the Cox Arena. With all the stories of the "haunted hotel" I didn't have anything unusual happen and I will stay here again if working in OKC.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
MartinvdL, General Manager at The Skirvin Hilton Oklahoma City, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Dear PPVistor,
Thank you for your review, high score and solid feedback. My apologies for your lack in shower pressure and opportunities with your curtains. I have shared your comments with our team. I am delighted though that overall you had a great exprience and will return in the future. We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

First let me start by saying this hotel is seriously one of the best I've stayed at. I absolutely loved it - the ambience, that historic feeling you get as soon as you step into the Lobby. The rooms are immaculate, and its obvious this place is very new. The bartender, a very nice young lady named Sarah at the bar is a keeper, and i thoroughly enjoyed spending lots of money at the bar due to her and chat with other guests at the Red Piano. Both restaurants are classy. I am going to give this hotel a good rating because IT deserves it even on the account of my experience. I need to air out a couple of the staff members because i was very much disrespected while coming back to my hotel room one night. I am a young single man, i am by myself in OKC for work and went to Bricktown Friday, July 13 - got back a little late in the night, as I went to the 4th floor to my room i saw a tall black male who was obviously security coming towards me, i said exactly "hey, hows it going?!" his response was to put his finger to his mouth and "SHHHH" me, in a manner you would do to a child. I was literally stunned, I turned around and said "excuse me? I wasnt being loud" he told me "yes you were". I told him again "I wasnt" and just because im young, you're not going to talk to me like that as i pay just as much as other guests to stay in this hotel. He then proceeded to distantly follow me to my room as I noticed i turned around and said "Ok. lets go downstairs, im not going to be treated like this". We get down to the front desk as i am waiting for a manager. A short brown haired lady was at the desk and its obvious he said something to her and she continues "yeah, we just got a complaint on the fourth floor". This was a complete Lie as i had JUST walked there, i was by myself with no one accompanying me - i wasnt being a "Party Animal" alone...in OKC? Yeah Right. So everyone's immediately treating me terrible. A cop in the hotel approaches me, again, i cant believe whats happening, as the manager stands there letting them berate me. I keep explaining to the cop whats going on (as if I even need to talk to him, this should be the managers job) the cop then tells me that "You're starting to piss me off, you need to go to your room" - i seriously think he wouldve tried to arrest me had i stood in that lobby any longer putting up a fight. So i did exactly what he said and left. I got ZERO, ABSOLUTE ZERO customer service that night, was treated like an idiot and a child in front of other guests. I hope the GM reads this, cause this was RIDICULOUS. I loved this hotel and still do, and will stay here again, but the staff doesnt try as hard to please guests who are in their mid-20's. They didnt try half as hard, and im ONLY talking about the staff who are in this review. Thank you.

Dear Timothy L.,
As you can see I personally respond to each & every review provided through Trip Advisor.
I did receive your personal e-mail to me from last Wednesday evening and I responded immediately in the early A.M. on Thursday morning. So I can’t thank you enough for bringing your detailed experience to my attention.Once again, now publicly, please accept my apologies and I assure you again that your comments already have been addressed internally in an appropriate fashion. We do have a very vigilant Loss Prevention Team, including the off-duty police officer you encountered, especially on the weekends. Overall they are a great Team, who in general operate in the interest of the comfort & safety of all guests. It is however never our intention to make anybody feel uncomfortable unless a particular guest truly bothers others or creates unsafe circumstances.

I am delighted that besides the interactions with our Loss Prevention Team you had an awesome experience and I appreciate you specifically recognizing Sarah and the rest of our Red Piano Lounge and Park Avenue Grill teams.
As I mentioned in my personal e-mail to you a few days ago, please feel free to contact me in person, so we can discuss your past stay or any future stays. We look forward to a return visit soon.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Enjoyed our stay. The only thing that bothered me was the size of the pool. It would have been nice to have a large pool in the summer in this very hot city. the lobby was confortable and since we had a child with us, we were unable to sit in the bar, but were able to have drinks in the lobby.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
MartinvdL, General Manager at The Skirvin Hilton Oklahoma City, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Thank you for your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. Besides the lobby we have several other great locations away from our Red Piano Lounge to relax when traveling with a child. I believe we have a great pool considering the historic 102 year old lay-out of the property, but I surely understand your comment. We trust we will see you again in the future for a return visit. Thank you.