“Meeting Rooms”
Review of State Capitol

State Capitol
Ranked #16 of 143 things to do in Oklahoma City
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I was there for a business meeting but in all 30yrs I've lived in Oklahoma I've never been to the state capitol, it has really cool artifacts & tours you can be a part of as well. An amazing building really cool experience.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

Not enough history of the Indian Nations and Indian Territories that eventually became part of Oklahoma, but otherwise a nice capitol building. The art museum on the first floor is especially not to be missed—only one other capitol building with local art that we have seen and this is our family's capitol #41, and in both places it was superb. Lots of portraits throughout the building, and it is amazing (to those of us from elsewhere) how many great people came from Oklahoma—I actually recognized many of them, but if you’d asked me to name people from Oklahoma, I’d likely have come up blank for many of those who actually were from Oklahoma.

Reviewed December 18, 2013

The only other capital I've been to is D.C. and our fair state has an excelent one. We took the free tour and it was very interesting. I like how you can go pretty much anywhere in the building. They have tons of Oklahoma art that's all free to enjoy.

The only downside is the main entrance was closed after 9/11 :(

Reviewed November 6, 2013

Visiting on a Sunday, I figured it would be pretty empty. I think I saw four other people the whole 2 hours I spent. The main entrance was closed and is walked around the whole building to find the way in. It's actually through the basement on the west side through a set of glass doors so take note! I almost gave up and left before I saw the stairs to the walk-out basement. There is a metal detector and X-ray for bags, but I was allowed to keep my purse with me after it was scanned. The guards gave me a book with the self guided tour and off I went. You are free to explore whatever is open! It's a beautiful building and has some great paintings depicting early life in OK. There is also a little art museum on the first floor that was nice. Being Sunday, the gift shop was closed and many of the offices were too. I didn't get to see the chambers of the House or Senate, which I would have liked to see. All in all, a great place to spend an hour or two learning about Oklahoma. I like the story behind OKC becoming the capital city and the extensive state constitution that was written. Lots of parking (though it was Sunday!) and very accessible.

Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

This is not the most ornate state Capitol we visited I'm the Midwest but it is a fine one. There is major renovation going on inside but large portions of it remain accessible including the two legislative chambers and galleries. Most impressive on the inside is the extensive collection of art and murals that grace the walls seemingly everywhere. Interesting to note that the dome was only put in place early in this century, 80+ years after the Capitol was completed or incompleted as the guide pointed out. Admission is free and I suggest you take the guided tour.