“Not a 3 star hotel, big disappointment” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crowne Plaza Oklahoma City

Crowne Plaza Oklahoma City
Ranked #92 of 147 Hotels in Oklahoma City
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Not a 3 star hotel, big disappointment”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

Very disappointed. Shows as a 3 star hotel on Priceline. We were put in a king cabana. A room off the pool. It smelled very moldy in the bathroom which made the whole room smell unpleasant. Couldn't take a shower due to absolutely no pressure. The water literally came out of the shower head in a trickle. Had to take a bath to wash my hair. Called maintenance to come look at it while we were out. I don't know if they ever showed up or not. Never heard anything from management. The rooms inside the main hotel may be nicer, but the ones labeled as "cabana" rooms are definitely not worth the price. The only pluses were comfortable bed and the room stayed nice and cool.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Oklahoma City, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Mary W,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I'm pleased you mentioned that the beds were comfortable and the room was nice and cool. I deeply apologize you were not fully satisfied with the bathroom in your room. Your review will be used to consider improvements needed and I hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done. We all hope that we will have the opportunity to host you again on a future visit.

Again, thank you for your feedback and have a wonderful day!

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

I was not impressed w/the renovation. However, bed was comfortable and I slept like a baby. Lighting in shower area of the bathroom was very dim. Lamp on my side of bed was broken. Got a fairly reasonable price on priceline of $85/night. On a good note, there were plenty of places to eat and lots of shopping close by.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Rick G, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Oklahoma City, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and for taking time to write a review.

We do hear a lot that the beds are great and guests get a great night sleep with us - that is one of the hallmarks of the Crowne Plaza brand. I agree that the hotel's location is also a plus for our guests!

We are in the process of upgrading the lighting in the bath area to improve this aspect of the guest experience. Additionally, we have just completed an accent wall covering in all guestrooms, and our refreshed bedding toppings arrive in early January.

Thank you again for your comments and your business!
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

I like this hotel for its location (good for my visits to OKC). It appears to have undergone a renovation & upon first glance, looks very nice. Just little things like faucet on sink not easy to use, electrical box behind tv broken, worn out looking spots on wallpaper in bathroom. When checking in, the wait was long & the man behind me was saying when he got to his room someone else was already occupying it! I didn't have any problems though.

• Stayed October 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your comments and your recent stay with us.

Your are right - the hotel has undergone renovations in 2012. Of course there are still some touch up items that we are completing (like tightening the TV boxes behind the TV's and adjusting the plumbing fixtures). We should be complete with these touch-ups by year end. We will also be refreshing our bedding topping in early January as we continue to look for ways to enhance teh guest experience.

One thing that hasn't changed is the great location of our property in NW Oklahoma City. Thank you again for your comments and your business.
Joplin, Missouri, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

We booked a room through Priceline. Check in time was 3:00 and we arrived at 3:15. We were informed that the boiler wasn't working and there was no hot water. The manager on duty came out and told us that he was trying to find us a room at another hotel. After 2 hour of watching this manager, he was very young and obviously had no idea what he was doing, I called Priceline myself and they didn't know anything about the problem. After 15 minutes priceline had us another room down the street at the Hilton Garden. The manager and staff at Crowne Plaza were rude and incompetent. Stay away from this place!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Troy S
Thank you for taking the time to write to us. I am sorry that you had a negative experience here. We did have the boiler go down on the day of your arrival. We attempted to relocate guests while we were trying to determine if we would have hot water that evening. I apologize it took so long for your specific issue. Most of the guests that day were dealt with quickly and efficiently - I am sorry that we dropped the ball in getting you moved to a different property.

Again, we appreciate your comments even if they are hard to hear as they help us in our training and development efforts.
Warren, MI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

I read the reviews for this Crowne Plaza before arriving and was a bit apprehensive about my stay. While isn't the newest or nicest hotel in the world I will say it was clean and comfortable and well kept for what is probably a 50 year old facility.

I arrived at the hotel around 2:00pm and was friendly and professionally allowed to check-in by a very friendly front desk agent. She also accommodated my bed type request which was much appreciated. I was a bit curious about the history of the hotel being that like i said the place is probably pushing 50 years old. The staff's knowledge of the property was limited but they did know that the hotel was originally built as a Hilton back in the late 50's / early 60's so you should realize that going in.

The hallways had clean carpeting and as previous reviewers noted very low 7 foot ceilings. While this angers some people I really thought of it as adding character to the building.

The room was nice sized and clean. The A/C worked great, the bed was super comfortable and the flat screen tv with actual HD programming were all nice touches. The bathroom area was fine with marble showers with decent water pressure. I will say that the carpeting in the room was sporting a few stains that should be addressed.

I did some laundry during my stay and while making my way to the outdoor alcove washer and dryer i passed the pool area. The pool looked inviting and is actually surrounded in a horseshoe pattern with outside entrance rooms. Again nothing that would be built these days but definitely adds character to the experience. The washer and dryer worked well and were only $1.50 each.

I did not try the onsite restaurant but the selection looked ridiculously small and overpriced.

So if you can deal with a total throwback hotel that is clean and had updated, modern amenities I really think you should give this Crowne Plaza a try without fear.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

Every staff member I came across at this hotel was rude. Our rooms were not cleaned. My towels weren't restocked. When we called front desk or room services I was hung up on. The water had one temperature and that was blistering hot. We did not know this when we checked in. So my littlest one burned his hand when washing his hands. Went down stairs and told the staff. They told me my entire family obviously didn't know how to use a sink or shower.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Stmck5
Rick G, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Oklahoma City, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Dear Stmck5,

I am so sorry that you had such a negative experience at our property. I am surprised that all of your interactions with our team were bad. Most of the feedback I receive from guests is that our team members are quite helpful and positive. If you would like to contact me directly at the hotel I would appreciate any specific feedback so we can address the items quickly and directly. Also, we have double checked the water temperature on all floors and it now appears to be the right temperature for a combination of safety and guest comfort.

Our company was hired just eight weeks ago to take over management of the Crowne Plaza OKC. We are excited to be in this market and are committed to making this an award-winning hotel. We appreciate your feedback as we address the current operations and plan for even more improvements in the facility. You may have noticed that the lobby and restaurant have been totally renovated in the past few months and our guestrooms all have flat-screen TV's, complimentary wi-fi, and many other amenities. More upgrades are coming quickly.

Again, please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel with any other specifics.
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

During a recent no-notice trip to OKC, the Crowne Plaza (about 10-15 mins drive north of the airport) was one of the few properties available with a reasonable nightly rate. I read a number of mixed reviews about the property, but most were concerning. I decided to give it a try.

The pros:

- Recent renovations to the rooms, lobby, and dining area
- GREAT pool area
- FRIENDLY staff and service
- Clean, quiet rooms with comfortable beds and amenities
- Good location in the northern part of OKC

The cons:

- Although it has been recently renovated, it still had the "old" feeling to it
- Would like to see the Club Lounge open every day (it appeared to only be open on Tuesday's)
- Limited selection at the bar and breakfast buffet (they actually do eggs to order, but you have to ask...it's not advertised)
- Would not have paid for the breakfast buffet (luckily mine was free as a Priority Club member)
- Rooms seemed small as compared to other Crowne Plazas and the ceilings tell the story of the property's age

I would tend to agree with other reviews that this property does not stand out as a Crowne Plaza should. The Crowne Plaza name means upscale; this property still has work to do to meet that standard. However, the staff was AMAZING (hats off to Sara for helping me with an early check-in and Toya at the bar!), and it was nice meeting the management staff at the Club Lounge on Tuesday; they are doing all they can to get the property up to Crowne Plaza standards. It was also nice that the gov't rate was available here; always a plus! But overall, I will be hard-pressed to stay here again unless I cannot find availability elsewhere. I may take a chance on it in the future, just to see how the renovations continue. For what I paid, I have no complaints about the value. I would just like to see more of the standard, upscale Crowne Plaza feel about the place. I wish the staff/management well in continued progress with the renovations!

Room Tip: High floor facing south...GREAT views of downtown OKC.