“Simply awesome!”

Iron Star Urban Barbeque
Reserve with OpenTable
Iron Star Urban Barbeque is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #28 of 1,681 Restaurants in Oklahoma City
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Shartel Ave.
Description: Specializing in fine dining with true smokehouse flavor, Iron Starr BBQ offers a unique and tasty spin on comfort foods. A Good Egg Dining Group was started in 2000 when Keith and Heather Paul opened Cheever's Cafe on 23rd and Hudson. They followed with Iron Starr Urban BBQ in 2002. In 2007, the Pauls opened their third restaurant, Red Prime Steak. Additional plans are under way for more Good Egg Dining Group restaurants.
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Everything on the menu is awesome...from the appetizers to the desserts. In between, make sure you have the macaroni and cheese. You can thank me later. BBQ sauce fans will like the hotter of the sauces. Sausage platter is one of my favorites.

Reviewed February 28, 2014

Iron Starr, overwhelming and exceptional. OK its a strip mall BBQ place, but eclectic and varied menu, great salads, great BBQ, nice portion sizes, great service. Go Taste Enjoy.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

Menu is varied enough for all tastes. I am not a huge BBQ fan, yet I chose this place for our monthly supper club to visit on 1-8-14. There were 9 in our group. We arrrived at 5:45-ish and were seated right away. We were seated in the 2nd dining room. Very spacious, didn't feel all crowded up with the neighbors. Our server was Samantha.
We started off with a few appitizers: Deviled eggs with pepper ceviche, very flavorful, loved the ceviche with just the right amount of heat for my taste. Iron Starr Cornbread was moist and tasty.

Food for the 9 of us arrived promptly. Additional servers helped deliver so it all arrived hot and at the same time.
My burger. Let me say I have a personal issue with my meat being done. No pink at all. Done. Completely done. I know chefs do not like to desecrate a perfectly good cut of meat by cooking it beyond med-well. I ordered the 7 oz. black angus Pimento Cheese Burger completely done. Samantha asked me to check the doneness as she delivered it. It was cooked completely done, no pink but still had some juciness to it. (As much as an angus cut can have.) The grilled jalapenos, crispy bacon and homemade pimento cheese made it perfect. The hot fries were crisp on the outside and light and fluffy inside. As they should be.
The hot smoked salmon dinner with avacado-lime butter was "the best meal I'd had out in a while" according to my friend. There was a misque on his order with a wrong side. The additional server (turned out to be the manager) apologized and went to get the correct side. He apologized again and let us know that the mistake was in the kitchen.
The other menu item that was ordered was the HUGE Smokestack Nachos as the meal instead of an appetizer. The flavors were awesome and the portion was huge.

The sides we had: Fancy mac and cheese, whole fried okra, dutch oven sweet potatoes and corn pudding were all agreeably delicious and well prepared. Can't wait to try some of the others.

There were several items that are "southwest" and pepper based. The pickle slice served on side of the burgers and sandwiches was spicy. For my taste, they were perfect: bit of heat to the bite and on the backside but not so hot that you can't enjoy the flavors and what you're eating. One of the ladies said the slaw and pickle was way, way too hot for her. Personal preference. (Wimp :)

DId anyone order BBQ? Yes. The chopped brisket sandwich and the pulled pork sandwich. All were fresh tasting, moist, not overly smoked or sauced. The serving size along with the side was plenty for the ladies that ordered them.

I think the prices are in line with the quality of food. Service was top notch. Kuddos to Samantha. Overall a very pleasant dinner and food experience. All of us agreed we would return to try other dishes and perhaps dessert. The only issue could be parking.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

This was the first restaurant my wife and I went to when we moved to OKC this past August as it's a couple of blocks from our house and it set the mark for OKC restaurants. We've been there 4 times, and one time for takeout, in five short months. My favorite dish is the hot links trio with their baked beans. The cornbread is fantastic as well; the BBQ sauce has a decent kick. My wife has tried several of their other BBQ options and her favorite is the pulled pork.

The wait can be long and sometimes parking is an issue but definitely worth the extra effort.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

Iron Starr has been a favorite family meeting place for several years. Whenever there is something to celebrate, we all agree on Iron Starr. The food is consistently good, the service friendly and the atmosphere is upbeat. Favorite menu items are the Cobb Salad, St. Louis ribs, sausage platter, mac & cheese, cold slaw and cornbread! The menu is varied enough for all tastes. A real treat for lunch or dinner.