“Great food”

Iron Star Urban Barbeque
Reserve with OpenTable
Iron Star Urban Barbeque is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #25 of 1,660 Restaurants in Oklahoma City
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Shartel Ave.
Description: Specializing in fine dining with true smokehouse flavor, Iron Starr BBQ offers a unique and tasty spin on comfort foods. A Good Egg Dining Group was started in 2000 when Keith and Heather Paul opened Cheever's Cafe on 23rd and Hudson. They followed with Iron Starr Urban BBQ in 2002. In 2007, the Pauls opened their third restaurant, Red Prime Steak. Additional plans are under way for more Good Egg Dining Group restaurants.
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States
“Great food”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Not just your ordinary BBQ...they mix it up at Iron Star. Can't go wrong with just about anything on the menu. Macaroni and cheese is awesome.

Visited July 2012

Denver, Colorado
“A good idea but.....”
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Iron Starr is a friendly place with good service and modern dark neutral colors highlighted with stainless steel. The chef is trying to update standard BBQ fare to a higher level which I think is a good idea, but I think there is still work to be done.

The corn pudding that was recommended by another Trip Advisor member was the highlight of my meal. It was full of flavor, creamy and delicious. It was down hill from there. The fried okra was left whole then battered and fried - an interesting idea but I like the batter to vegetable ratio better when the okra is sliced. The brisket had good flavor but was dry. The pulled pork was also dry and I did not care for the flavor. The cornbread was flat and on the hard side, again I think they were aiming for something new because I suspect the bread had some sort of cheese and some sauteed veggies but baking powder was definitely missing! Anyone who has lived in BBQ country knows that folks are very particular about their sauce - what you love may not appeal to me. Iron Starr's sauce did not appeal to me.

I like the direction this place is trying to go but I think adjustments are still needed.

• Visited June 2012
edmond, oklahoma
“We'll be back!”
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Went for lunch on a Saturday - no wait at 12 noon. So many interesting choices on the menu, we couldn't decide! My husband thought the soup of the day sounded interesting (Potato and sausage) but ordered something else and the waitress surprised us by bring a small sample of the soup and cornbread anyway! Delicious. I enjoyed the pimento cheese burger and corn pudding even though the burger wasn't what I expected. My husband had the BBQ club and whole fried okra and was pleased. Pickles were too spicy for us, though! Can't wait to come again and bring our adult children - I think they'll like the hip atmosphere and twist on basic food items.

• Visited July 2012
Arlington, Virginia
“Good food, great service, pleasant atmosphere”
Reviewed June 26, 2012

We went here for the bar-b-que and other meats. The portions (even the lite side portion) are very sizeable and you are given the choice of 2 sides (don't miss the corn pudding) plus cornbread. All of the meats we ate (b-b-que, ribs, chicken and brisket) were good, flavorful and tender. The beer selection is very weak as it is in most places in Oklahoma, City. The mac and cheese is really recommended but I didn't find it to be very special or especially flavorful. I believe we had a frito chip nacho style appetizer here which is to be avoided. (I know frito chips, I didn't order it). The prices are reasonable and the staff is great. I'd go here again but I wouldn't make it one of my regular spots.

• Visited June 2012
Chandler, Oklahoma
“Food is pricey...nothing special”
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Food is pricey...frou-frou. I know a lot of people who like it, just not my style. I'm a meat and potatoes kind of girl!

Visited July 2011