“Overpriced and disappointing”

Mantel Wine Bar & Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Mantel Wine Bar & Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #113 of 1,660 Restaurants in Oklahoma City
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Mickey Mantle Drive
Reviewed December 20, 2010

Ok. I'm totally befuddled as to why this place is rated number one in OKC. This place is NOT all that.
First, the average price listed here is wrong--most entrees are about $25 and if you want a salad that is 5 or 7 dollars. Second, the food is just....meh. We both ordered NY strips cooked Medium. How hard is that? They were both served Medium Rare. I want my steak with a pink warm center. Both hubby and I got steaks with that red raw chewy center. OK, I am not a chef, but I can cook a dadgum steak to medium.
Why didn't we just send them back? Well, to tell the truth, the waiter was sooooo attempting to be all fancy, he was actually off-putting. Also, the steaks had this mushroom blah blah blah demi-glaze, which meant how would they possiby just throw them back on the grill?
We were headed to another event and we had already waited an hour to get seated, so we just chewed. A lot. Longer.
And about them taters. What would be wrong with giving folks a choice to have a baked potato? I think probably that would not be pretentious enough. We must serve roasted fingerling slices which were dry and hard, yet somehow not crisp. Oh, and you also get 3 or 4 skinny stalks of asparagus thrown on the plate. No salad with the meal, unless you want to pay $5 extra. Which we did, fortunately, or we would have left having paid over $80 for the two of us to chew on steaks which weren't cooked enough. The bread was good. The curious balsamic dipping sauce was another thing that was just a head shaker.
The outdoor bar/patio where we waited and drank did have adorable bartenders, and live acoustic music. Next time we're in Bricktown we might stop by there for a drink.
We have lived in Houston and Dallas and we don't mind paying for quality. But we do mind paying for pretention. And undercooked steaks. We recently ate at a place called The White Dog in a rennovated old brothel outside Clinton on I-40 and the tab for two was $100 and we went home just a-grinnin' and a-ravin' about the place. I'm just sayin'.
If you're in Bricktown, walk over to Toby Keith's and getcha a burger. You'll have more money to buy drinks later and you won't be hungry after dancing an hour at City Walk. If you're in OKC and want a steak, go to Charleston's where the steaks are cooked just right and they give you a big ole salad and a huge baked potato with all the good stuff. If you have a predjudice against chains and want something unique head down to the stockyards to the Cattleman's. Great history and great food--and no pretentions.
I read Trip Advisor all the time--have for years. This is the first time it has failed me. This is my first review. I know this review is pretty mean, but I just had to get on here to say that the Emperor has no damn clothes on. This is not a restaurant I would recommend. There are just too many better choices for your palate and your pocketbook.

1  Thank karenspirit
There are newer reviews for Mantel Wine Bar & Bistro

Reviewed December 12, 2010

The food was good, but when the check came, the wine we bought was 35% more than the menu price. Now, being on a budget due to this being a work related trip, we assumed it was an error. The waitress confirmed the price was $26 on the menu, but we were being charged $35. The manager was rude and refused to honor the menu price stating that the price was correct and the menus just had not been updated. This pretty much ruined our opinion of this restaurant and would suggest that if you go there, confirm up front what the "real" price of the wine is before you order. Any other restaurant would have readily acknowledged their error and sided with the customer, but not this place. Buyer beware. Not sure we will go back since we don't agree with thier business practices.

Reviewed July 18, 2010

The restaurant is small and romantic. You need reservations for the weekend. Food was good. Lobster bisque was salty but edible. I think the chef uses too much salt in his recipes but the flavors are very good. Steak was a good value and the specials were really nice. The wine selection is unique and fairly priced. I will return.

1  Thank Gerald W
Reviewed July 15, 2010

I have been to this restaurant four (4) times, and I have not been disappointed once. Forget "Mahogany" for great meat and chops, this place is much better IMO. The dishes are prepared in such a way that you would think you were dining in a high-end Los Angeles bistro or even in a fine restaurant in Florence (Tuscany being known for their beef steak). I have not had the pleasure of dining on fish here, as I follow the "when in Rome" policy -- this is a "land rover" town, so I stick with lamb, pork, chicken, and beef. The filet is out of this world.

1  Thank cheerfulcritic
Reviewed June 2, 2010

I thoroughly enjoyed my meal at The Mantel. Superb duck breast, great wine list and fantastic service. A bit in the expensive side for OKC, but there is a reason...it's worth every penny I paid!

1  Thank Zacharius