“Excellent food”

Mantel Wine Bar & Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Mantel Wine Bar & Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #105 of 1,656 Restaurants in Oklahoma City
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Mickey Mantle Drive
Texas
“Excellent food”
Reviewed September 16, 2011

The Mantel is very good. Yes, it is expensive if you think OKC should be much cheaper than the bigger cities in the Southwest . It is comparable to Dallas/ Houston prices. Thats OK because the food was great. Rack of lamb and risotto was superb....and I am usually tough on restaurant risotto. I didn't get to far into the wine list, but the scotch selection was nice and priced well. The place would be great for a date night type outing although I didn't feel out of place on a business dinner. I would return and reccomend The Mantel

• Visited August 2011

Texas
“Food Just Okay and Valet Service HORRIBLE”
Reviewed June 19, 2011

I went to Mantel last night with 3 other women, we had been talking about trying Mantel for along time and finally found time to go. We've been to several other wine bars and fine restaurants in OKC and I have to say I'm disappointed.

Let me start out with the food. This place is WAY overpriced for what you get and the food is just mediocre. I ordered the Ahi Tuna, and others ordered mahi mahi an chicken. None of us were impressed at all with our food because it was somewhat bland and the ahi seemed like it had been siting for awhile.

The service - our waiter was very rude. At one point he jammed his finger and ran over by our table and starting cussing a blue streak. Rather than going to the kitchen or someplace private he proceeded to jump around and cuss right there in the middle of the restaurant. After he was done, he turned to one of the ladies at our table and said "what do ya want?". He also proceeded to ask us where our 4th dinner guest was and why we were not mad at her that she was late. Totally inappropriate.

The Valet.... I pulled up and had to park my own car because he was no where to be found. That is fine with me because I am not used to valeting my car, however he proceeded to get upset with me for parking it without his consent. Once we were done with our meal, our waiter asked the valet to get our cars. The valet came in about 20 min later and gave us a look and hand gesture that signified that it was time to go. As we were exiting, one of my friends said she would like to sit for awhile outside because she felt like she needed to wait a little while before she could drive home (she'd had two glasses of wine with dinner). I asked the valet if we could get our keys from him and just take our cars when she felt better. He rolled his eyes and asked how long it would be. I told him I was not sure but I was not letting my friend drive home and he proceeded to move our cars back into parking spots. While he was moving our cars he ran over several curbs and cut off a young boy and his father in the parking lot. He then proceeded to back a car out that we were standing behind without asking us to move or giving us any warning. There is no doubt in my mind he was trying to give us a good scare.

All in all, we will NOT be going back to Mantel due to the mediocre food, poor service, and egotistical valet. I recommend if you are looking for a place with good atmosphere you try Nona's Purple Bar across the street (please see my review).

• Visited June 2011
Oklahoma
“Overpriced and disappointing”
Reviewed December 20, 2010

Ok. I'm totally befuddled as to why this place is rated number one in OKC. This place is NOT all that.
First, the average price listed here is wrong--most entrees are about $25 and if you want a salad that is 5 or 7 dollars. Second, the food is just....meh. We both ordered NY strips cooked Medium. How hard is that? They were both served Medium Rare. I want my steak with a pink warm center. Both hubby and I got steaks with that red raw chewy center. OK, I am not a chef, but I can cook a dadgum steak to medium.
Why didn't we just send them back? Well, to tell the truth, the waiter was sooooo attempting to be all fancy, he was actually off-putting. Also, the steaks had this mushroom blah blah blah demi-glaze, which meant how would they possiby just throw them back on the grill?
We were headed to another event and we had already waited an hour to get seated, so we just chewed. A lot. Longer.
And about them taters. What would be wrong with giving folks a choice to have a baked potato? I think probably that would not be pretentious enough. We must serve roasted fingerling slices which were dry and hard, yet somehow not crisp. Oh, and you also get 3 or 4 skinny stalks of asparagus thrown on the plate. No salad with the meal, unless you want to pay $5 extra. Which we did, fortunately, or we would have left having paid over $80 for the two of us to chew on steaks which weren't cooked enough. The bread was good. The curious balsamic dipping sauce was another thing that was just a head shaker.
The outdoor bar/patio where we waited and drank did have adorable bartenders, and live acoustic music. Next time we're in Bricktown we might stop by there for a drink.
We have lived in Houston and Dallas and we don't mind paying for quality. But we do mind paying for pretention. And undercooked steaks. We recently ate at a place called The White Dog in a rennovated old brothel outside Clinton on I-40 and the tab for two was $100 and we went home just a-grinnin' and a-ravin' about the place. I'm just sayin'.
If you're in Bricktown, walk over to Toby Keith's and getcha a burger. You'll have more money to buy drinks later and you won't be hungry after dancing an hour at City Walk. If you're in OKC and want a steak, go to Charleston's where the steaks are cooked just right and they give you a big ole salad and a huge baked potato with all the good stuff. If you have a predjudice against chains and want something unique head down to the stockyards to the Cattleman's. Great history and great food--and no pretentions.
I read Trip Advisor all the time--have for years. This is the first time it has failed me. This is my first review. I know this review is pretty mean, but I just had to get on here to say that the Emperor has no damn clothes on. This is not a restaurant I would recommend. There are just too many better choices for your palate and your pocketbook.

1 Thank karenspirit
St. Louis
“Decent food, but confirm the wine prices before you order.”
Reviewed December 12, 2010

The food was good, but when the check came, the wine we bought was 35% more than the menu price. Now, being on a budget due to this being a work related trip, we assumed it was an error. The waitress confirmed the price was $26 on the menu, but we were being charged $35. The manager was rude and refused to honor the menu price stating that the price was correct and the menus just had not been updated. This pretty much ruined our opinion of this restaurant and would suggest that if you go there, confirm up front what the "real" price of the wine is before you order. Any other restaurant would have readily acknowledged their error and sided with the customer, but not this place. Buyer beware. Not sure we will go back since we don't agree with thier business practices.

Dallas, Texas
“The restaurant is small and romantic...”
Reviewed July 18, 2010

The restaurant is small and romantic. You need reservations for the weekend. Food was good. Lobster bisque was salty but edible. I think the chef uses too much salt in his recipes but the flavors are very good. Steak was a good value and the specials were really nice. The wine selection is unique and fairly priced. I will return.

1 Thank Gerald W