“One of the best Japanese restaurants in OKC”

Tokyo Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #116 of 1,705 Restaurants in Oklahoma City
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed October 27, 2011

Small restaurant with not a lot of seating, don't let the exterior scare you, if you make it past the front door you will have a good meal. Recommend going during lunch time for a more affordable meal. The sushi chef is Japanese.

1  Thank hawa38

Reviewed August 24, 2011

I found this restaurant on my smart phone from the "Yelp" app and since it was highly rated and close to where my hotel was I decided to take a chance. I initially thought it had closed since it appeared to be vacant but I'm so glad I persisted to park and follow a couple around the side. They disappeared from my view before I saw where they entered and as I approached the side of the building there was a white painted door (as is the entire old house painted) without a sign or anything that would lead one to think it was a restaurant entrance. The hostess was very nice and although my server didn't speak much English, we communicated about the menu without a problem. I told her what I was after and she directed me to the Box Chicken Katsu. There were at least 5 items within this literal sectioned box that include tempura shrimp and some flattened fried chicken along with some seaweed salad, California roll (I don't know why I got that, there were so many other types to chose from) and a few other item. ALL VERY YUMMY. I was born in Japan and although my parents were American, I have always had an affinity for Japanese food. I try it through out my cross country travels and this is the spot! It is the some of the most authentic and delicious Japanese food I have found and for the price I paid (18.36 including tip) I'd say it is definitely the best for the price hands down. Go there, don't be fooled by the building and savor the flavor. They have a sushi bar that was very busy but I sat at the table, and now I wish I had sat at the bar since you can see all the various types of sushi, watch them make it and eat till your fill. .....next time....

1  Thank speaker55
Reviewed August 1, 2011

I lived and worked in Japan for over 5 years and ate Japanese food not american food pretty much exclusively.
So, if I was to compare Tokyo in OKC to the places I used to eat in Japan as many others here at Trip advisor have done I would say that I was excited to read the reviews and thought finally a decent place to eat in Oklahoma and authentic Japanese WOW! I drove 180 miles one way to eat here and was very disappointed!!
The good. The service was excellent! Very good service as far as seating and promptness. The Ocha (tea) Excellent! Just as i remember it.
The regular menu food is about right as far as what’s on the menu compared to Japan. But you would not know it unless you actually lived there so Tokyo is authentic as far as the menu goes. Having the food on the menu is one thing, The quality of the food is another matter.
The building is old and run down it needs major renovation inside and out. Inside is drab void of decoration and cramped.
The food. The salad was lame to say the least. Its very much Oklahoma out of the salad bag from Wal-Mart style. Just lettuce and purple cabbage. I would think a restaurant in the top 5 in OKC would do better than that let alone if they are going to be compared to any place in Japan. The portions are small on the plates and the presentation is terrible. My wife had the pork Katsu and thats all that was on the plate that and a tiny bit of water crest. If we are still comparing, then in Japan there would have been some seaweed salad and some spiced potato or pickled radish and maybe some sliced boiled eggs with some sort of relish etc. None of that was offered. The food was thrown on the plate Oklahoma style you could say. You do get rice and soup.
I had the steak sukiyaki, it was ok not great. Drowned in sauce. I also had a good pile of fried vegetables tempura which I shared with my wife because she basically had nothing but a pork chop and rice. I also had a tiny tiny bit of seaweed salad that they did not offer to fill back up by the way. In Japan when your vegetables and condiments get low they come around and fill your little bowl up again for free that goes for the rice and the soup too. Not here. So I look at that and the salad and come to the conclusion that they are cheap in my book deff not what a top 5 restaurant should act like and deff not what you would get in Japan. But hey! We are not in Japan we are in Oklahoma. Even so I am disappointed.
As far as the sushi\sashimi bar, I was going to order some to go but the rest of the dinner was so cheaply done I did not want to take the chance of them burning me on that too.
“You” might say I am spoiled to have lived in Japan for so long and had the real deal. No im not. I know cheap when I see it and especially when im fed it. My standards are not high they are normal. I have actually lived in many country’s and places in my life and im a very good cook in my own right and because of that I know when im being ripped off. Sorry Tokyo but you didn’t bring it!
Not recommended if you are looking for the real deal. But if you’ve never had it then you will not know the difference and will probably like this place just fine!
To Trip advisor:
I tried to write a note in Japanese but your site said it was profanity because i imagine it cannot spell check another language besides english. If people from around the world are going to use this site maybe you should work on that.

1  Thank alwaystogether
Reviewed July 14, 2011

If you are looking for a break from the typical southern/midwestern American food and want something on the healthier side check this place out. As someone who travels a lot through out the US, Europe and Asia I am always on the look out for authentic food and something that is healthy. Difficult in the US.... This restaurant fit the bill. The restaurant had an American Japanese atmosphere and seems to be owned and operated by Japanese transplants. I had salmon rolls and sushi which was very fresh and was full of flavor. Given the price this is definitely worth a try. Don't let the outside appearance fool you. This is the real thing. How so you ask.....? The best sniff test is when the customers are also Japanese then you know it will be the real thing. They focus on the product verses a chic or chain look. If you happen to travel to OKC and are on the look out for a healthy and authentic alternative, do give this place a try.

Reviewed June 7, 2011

My husband and I are return customers to this restaurant. We live an hour and half away and we visit as often as we can. We really enjoy the complementary green tea! I recommend the dynamite river roll.

1  Thank cellogirl81