“Eclectic Dishes in which Taste Trumps Trends”
Review of Cheever's Cafe

Cheever's Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Cheever's Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 1,703 Restaurants in Oklahoma City
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: NW 23rd
Reviewed October 6, 2011

Although Oklahoma City has undergone a renaissance when it comes to fine dining, you'll almost never see its establishments in national Best Of or Top 100 restaurant roundups.
But if that were to change it could well be because of Cheever's Cafe.
Located on the corner of Hudson and NW 23rd in midtown of this capital city, Cheever's specializes in American cuisine with Southwest influences—exactly the cuisine one would hope to find in a place like Oklahoma.
From its Bleu Cheese Potato Chips to its Molasses Roast Chicken Breast, the restaurant serves up succulent fare that comes off as both original and delectable.
Don't leave without trying the smokey joy that is Cheever's Roasted Chicken and Pepper Jack Strudel (one of its many unique small plates so addictive you'll be doing twilight drive-bys so you can enjoy it at home) or its Charred Jalapeno Au Gratin Potatoes (just one of eight amazing sides).
If you think there is a secret message in the fact that this review barely gets into the main courses, you'd be right—one could live on Cheever's small plates and sides alone.
But don't...
The restaurant's entrees are equally inspired -- from the Strip Steak served with Truffle Creamed Spinach to the Lobster Mac & Cheese. Top your meal off with Huckleberry Creme Brulee (gluten free) or the best Giant Carrot Cake since Peter Rabbit mixed carrots and sugar and cream, and a nice little cordial.
Then sit back and wonder how this lovely spot has managed to stay under the foodie radar for so long.

1  Thank JeanneDH

Reviewed August 7, 2011

Having lived in 'the city' in the 80's I remembered Cheevers as a flower shop ( the refrigerated flower case now holds wine). It is now an excellent restaurant serving great comfort food. The lobster Mac and cheese is excellent. I have now had the opportunity to eat there at non for a business lunch and on a recent visit to OKC for a relaxing dinner.

I wold definitely recommend!

2  Thank Jmichealr
Reviewed June 13, 2011

I go to Cheever's every chance I get. I love the chicken tortellini, fish tacos and their rolls are amazing. It's best to make reservations if you are going for lunch. I like the ambiance, art and delicious food. The service seems to be the only part that varies and is either awesome or OK -- I've never had terrible service, but some people are more attentive than others. This is truly an OKC gem and you should try it out if you are visiting the city.

2  Thank LauraBB
Reviewed March 16, 2011

I went for lunch the first time and was very impressed with the service and food. I had the Sweet Potato Seafood Enchiladas and they were very tasty and enjoyed them a lot!
Went back with my husband for an early dinner and had a fantastic experience! Jake, our server, was very friendly and was very knowledgeable about wines, beers and gave us advice for my husband's all time favorite appetizer: Roasted Chicked Strudel! Our entrees were very good, had warm bread all the time. Also without asking he brought us dessert and we liked it too! We'll be back for more :-D
There's only one bad thing that I've to say about this restaurant...the portions are humongous! The appetizer could have been for three or even four people. It was very tasty, good and well presented but too BIG. The entrees for dinner were very big and desserts too. I'm glad that our server only brought us a miniature version of a regular dessert to try it :-)
I'llbe back and look for Jake but will share an appetizer and maybe have a salad or no appetizer at all...and no dessert!! Also he made a fresh pot of coffee for us and that was nice too :-)

2  Thank Milclau
Reviewed December 23, 2010

What is it doing all the way down here?????

I eat here at least every other week - lunch, dinner, brunch, you name it! The food is always fresh, PERFECTLY prepared, and a TOTAL original! Probably the reason that Opentable's Top 50 Restaurants in the USA had only TWO restaurants listed in our ENTIRE STATE ... Cheevers and Paseo Grill (which is also very good, but more expensive).

My favorite is the Spicy Shrimp Risotto - but there isn't anything on the menu I don't LOVE. Be sure to stop at Market C next door for lots of take home treats!

I've never heard of anything like glove pieces in the rolls. And the only way it would not have been handled with the utmost professionalism would be a case where the diner is rude.

3  Thank 5genoklahoman