“Lots and lots of average food”

Hibachi Supreme Buffet
Ranked #270 of 1,633 Restaurants in Oklahoma City
Cuisines: Chinese, Sushi, Asian, Japanese
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Moore, Oklahoma
“Lots and lots of average food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

Positives: Lots of food, many exotic dishes, inexpensive
Negatives: Entrees lack flavor, several favorites missing

THE BASICS:
In some ways, Hibachi Supreme Buffet is like many other buffet restaurants: bright lighting, rows of pretty food, a couple of counters where made-to-order items are prepared, and servers that occasionally drop by with drink refills. However, Hibachi is different because they offer a number of "exotic" items not usually found on a buffet, such as oysters in the shell, shrimp prepared about a half-dozen ways, unshelled crawfish...even squid.

Located near I-240 and South Western Avenue, this restaurant occupies a highly-visible prime location near hotels and a busy exit ramp.

The restaurant seems to be quite popular; the first thing we noticed upon arrival was the number of cars in the lot. Most open eateries we passed while driving there were almost vacant, but Hibachi Supreme Buffet was nearly full. Obviously they have something that attracts customers!

PARKING:
This building was built as a restaurant. In fact, another type of buffet previously occupied the space. Ample parking was part of the original design. Despite a relatively large crowd, open spaces were available in the outfield during our visit.

FACILITY AND DECOR:
With red brick, green metal roof, and cream highlights, the building is unremarkable but not unattractive. It looks more like the American-style restaurant it once was than an Oriental buffet.

With it's colored accent lights, reflective surfaces, and glass, the interior feels somewhat like a nightclub. Serving counters sit in the center of the main dining room. Rows of tables surround them. We noticed a large secondary dining area in a separate room. Perhaps there are others.

FOOD:
Hibachi serves an eclectic selection of Oriental-themed entrees, with a few alternative dishes for folks that prefer other cuisines. As mentioned earlier, we saw a wide variety of fish and seafood items. This seems to be a big draw. Mounds of oyster, shrimp, and crawfish shells covered a couple of tables.

Quite a few commonly seen Oriental dishes...sweet and sour chicken, dumplings, spareribs, and others...were also available. Macaroni and cheese and french fries were offered. But some traditional staples, such as Chow Mein and Moo Goo Gai Pan, were missing from the buffet.

A hibachi grill is available for folks that want custom-prepared food. Three members of our group of five ordered food there. (I was one of the three.) We were all disappointed by the relatively few ingredients available at that counter. We regularly dine at "Mongolian" grills that have much larger selections.

A second "carving" counter is also available, but none of our group tried it. We didn't make it to the sushi bar, either, although several of us like sushi.

The general consensus of our group was that food was plentiful, but it generally lacked flavor. Some items, like the coconut shrimp, boiled shrimp, and dumplings, were very tasty. Most entrees, however, were very bland.

SERVICE:
We were greeted and seated almost immediately. Staff members constantly patrolled the serving area to make sure food trays were kept full. Our server was pleasant, and was good about providing refills, but was slow to remove used plates from the table. Perhaps that's their way of discouraging second and third trips through the line. We saw a number of servers that seemed to be sleepwalking around the place.

THE BOTTOM LINE:
If you are interested in eating a large quantity of Orientally-inspired food, or are looking for a buffet that offers some uncommon seafood items, Hibachi Supreme Buffet might interest you.

If your interests lean more toward fine dining where "flavor" trumps "bulk", another restaurant might suit you better. It's possible to find some exceptional items at Hibachi, but if you're like us, you'll be full about the time you find them.

• Visited December 2012

“Great place to eat.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

I enjoy eating there. It is a pleasant and very friendly atmosphere. I always enjoy going there and I let my friends know about it. If they want some really good food to eat I tell them to go to Hibachis

mcloud, Oklahoma
“Cheap lunch”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

The buffet was pretty well sized. The steamed clams were spicy, to my liking. I did not see the crawfish. The ribs were sweet and tangy. Overall, I was not disappointed, but could find the same value/selection at the Golden Palace, where we usually go for an oriental lunch buffet. I found $7.98 for the lunch a good value. The service was nice as our drinks never ran passed half empty. I doubt I'll be back, but it's good for a try.

• Visited September 2012
Texas City, Texas
“awesome!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

I love this restaurant. There are a lot of choices. Clean and good for family. I wil definitely recommend this place. I love the sushi. For $11 per person are good enough.

• Visited August 2012
OKC,Ok
“Wonderful Food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2011

The variety of seafood here is excellent! They also have a wonderful sushi bar, grilled ribs, and Mongolian bbq as well. I've never been able to sample it all in one visit. It is always hot and prepared primarily as oriental cuisine, but should be palatable by all. The salad and desert bars have a large variety of selections as well. The atmosphere is upscale oriental. The tables are large enough for your food without feeling crowded or cluttered. It is impeccably clean. The service is excellent. You'll be pleasantly surprised by the price!

Visited August 2011