“AWFUL AWFUL SERVICE!!”

Cuisines: Mexican
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“AWFUL AWFUL SERVICE!!”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Entered into Abuelo's and was told it was going to be about 20 minute wait but probably less than that. That was at 8:20 p.m. The hostess gave us a buzzer and we sat on the couch. We waited patiently and saw everyone else get seated before us. Parties of 2, Parties of 3, 1 Giant party of 10+, people who came in 20 minutes after us.... We were sure we were the next when we were the only people left in the waiting area 30 minutes later (...this is at 9p.m. and for a 2 adults and 1 child by the way.) When the hostess realizes we are still sitting on the couch and our buzzer had never gone off she apologized and then seated us. When we were seated we noticed dozens of empty tables in the main room! The table next to us was a party of 2 sitting at a table with 4 chairs and they had came in 20 minutes after us. Once we were seated was when the REAL WAIT began. Our waitress took her sweet time bringing me my "Perfect Margarita." In fact, my husband said "Here she comes with your margarita" but the waitress put the tray on another table and then took a food order on another table and went to go get something and bring it back to that table... and then decided to deliver my margarita to my table. So I got to look at it for awhile sitting on another table just a few feet away before I could drink it. I should have never ordered it because I seriously believe it was margarita mix and ice only. THERE WASN'T ANY liquor in it whatsoever and by the time I got it, it was completely watered down by the time I got it. By this time our food order had not been taken and so much time had passed that we needed more salsa. We asked for more salsa and placed our food order (2 orders of Fajitas for me & my husband and Quesadilla for our 11 year old.) Our waitress brought us CHIPS 10 minutes later with NO SALSA. We didn't need more chips because we had 2 baskets to begin with. Our food was brought out by someone else and we had no silverware and still no salsa. My husband asked the guy who brought our food out for these things and the guy got us silverware and said he would go get the salsa. Our waitress came back over and asked if we needed more salsa so I told her the other guy had gone to get some already and she mumbled something with an attitude that he had told her about it.... Okay, (Still no salsa....) When she came back she brought us 2 bowls of salsa and we continued to eat our meal. During the meal the waitress came to clear the plates on the table behind us and I heard someone talking behind me. I didn't turn around until I heard someone talking again and I turned around in my chair to realize the waitress was talking to my back asking me if I needed another margarita. I couldn't even hear her or barely even see her. I had to ask her what she said and then when I answered no thanks, she just walked off! What I actually needed more corn tortillas and more Guacamole (the menu says its unlimited) but I never got the chance to even ask for it! I had so much meat on my plate and was unable to eat it because I didn't have any lettuce, guacamole, tomatoes, or tortillas. They only give you a tablespoon amount of each of the toppings so after 1 fajita they are gone. Everyone was done eating except for me, and we sat and waited.... and waited.... and never saw the waitress. The steak was the lowest quality you can even imagine. When I bit into the fajita the steak was chewy with fat and I couldn't even take a complete bite because my teeth couldn't cut through it. Long story short, a manager ended up coming to our table because I went to the hostess and demanded my check. I ended up getting more corn tortillas and guacamole (to go because I requested them) but the waitress delivered it to our table with a snarky-smart attitude! She put them in front of me and said "Here you go..." really sarcastically. I took the rest of my meat and those 2 items in the to go box but I am 100% not going to eat it or ever return back to Abuelo's in Bricktown! I would be stupid to eat the tortillas... I bet they were dropped on the floor and put in the aluminum wrapper before they were brought to me because the manager had to go tell her to bring it to me. The manager SHOULD have delivered them to me himself. NEVER AGAIN... & that is unfortunate because I ate here 1 time before on my birthday and it was decent. The entire meal was a disaster starting with the check in with the hostess and waiting with a buzzer that doesn't work. ON THE BORDER is better than this place.

• Visited June 2013

Little Rock, Arkansas
“Handled large group well”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

The staff did an excellent job with our large group of lacrosse players and parents. The food was really good. I had the shrimp fajitas - absolutely loved the sauce on them. The margaritas are great too. Everyone enjoyed their meal and we all got our food in a timely manner. Great service. We will definitely be back next time we are in town.

• Visited May 2013
Stillwater, Oklahoma
“Presentation is always very good.”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

My husband and I have eaten here several times. The dining room is clean, lights are dim, and the music is pop. They have both booths and tables. The atmosphere is relaxed. We have always had good service. The menu is large with everything you would expect along with a few you might not expect. It is several pages and they do have lunch specials from 11 to 3 pm. We both ordered steak chimichanga and you have a choice of rice or potatoes and refried beans. Guac and sour cream are also on the plate. While we waited for our meal we enjoyed chips with 4 salsas. This is new as they used to only have 1. Two were typical red salsas with similar flavors. One was in a small silver container and was the hottest of the 4. The final one was a tangy, citrus, tomatillo salsa and my favorite of them all. The food came out in less than 10 minutes. It was served on beautiful, painted, ceramic platters. I always say food tastes better on pretty dishes. Servings were large and presentation was well done. It was all very delicious. The steak was fajita style, tender, and well prepared. A delicious whole chilie was wrapped up with the steak in the tortilla as well as cheese and lightly fried. Beans and rice were typical. It was more food than I could eat so I brought it home. I was very pleased with the entire experience and would recommend it. I also plan to eat here again. Too stuffed for desert.

• Visited April 2013
Hernando, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent Food and Service”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Great, food, not your ordinary tex-mex only. I had difficulty deciding between the Fish Vera Cruz which I love and the Pescado Guerrero which I have never had. I choose the Pescado Guerrero and was not disappointed. It is described on the menu as "wood-grilled barramundi with fresh shrimp, scallops, mushrooms, spinach, roasted peppers and sliced avocado in a delicious white wine sauce." It was delicious. We loved the think tortilla chips we the 3 different salsas. We will definitely eat there again on our next trip to visit family in Oklahoma City.

• Visited April 2013
Frederick, Maryland
“Please open up a place in Maryland!”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Every time I travel to OKC, I eat at Abuelo's! The food is fresh and very good. They have an extensive menu with lots of really good choices. They also have a lot of variety in the drink department. The wait staff is friendly, knowledgeable, and takes well to jokes etc. It's a big place, but the tables turn over pretty quickly so if you are 10th in line, it's worth hanging around. Biggest beef? Wow, they give you a lot of food! You will need to learn some self-discipline if you eat there a lot. The spicy scale is a bit on the mild side, so don't worry about getting things too hot to eat.
Try the chile relleno!