“A Pleasant Surprise”

Ranked #100 of 148 Hotels in Oklahoma City
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“A Pleasant Surprise”
Reviewed December 12, 2010

I was aprehensive about staying here after reading the other reviews. Our experience was very nice. I felt the location was great. There was a plethora of eating establishments and a Walmart just north of I-40. Our room was immaculate, clean , no foul odors. Linen was clean. The staff was cheeful and helpful. The room we had reserved wasn't ready when we checked in. The friendly staff put us a suite. I didn't feel this was a bad part of town. There was even a cool bar just next door, called the "Thirsty Hog" They even had live music. The Continental breakfast was the typical hotel fair, cereal.. bagels juice donuts etc. In plentiful supply. We had plenty of hot water. The bed and pillows were as comfortable or maybe even more so than my own personal bed.
After reading the previous reviews, it sounds like we stayed in another Hotel. I don't know what happened, if its new ownership or new management. But we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and won't hesitate to stay there again. A great value for the money, I will give this hotel a 2 thumbs up !!!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Houston
Reviewed July 22, 2010

After trying to stay at this hotel, we could not overcome the smell of cigarette smoke from the hall into our nonsmoking room, stained sheets and general overall lack of maintenance and cleanliness. We opted to drive through the night rather than sleep at this hotel. The good news is the manager agreed to refund our money, even though we used the room for about an hour.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RedDi531
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed May 31, 2010

After having a good experience with a Microtel the night before, I found this one not so good. The motel is around other motels that look like residence motels in a tough part of town. I was a little uneasy staying there, plus the common areas were not well-kept. I skipped a sparse breakfast layout to hit the road and get out of there.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Texas
Reviewed March 16, 2010

There were no clean towels in our room! I used a hand towel, not realizing that it was not my family that had used it! I didn't really notice that it was the only towel in the room until early the next morning when I wanted to shower. When I called the front desk, which was right down the hall from our room, I was told that I would have to come and get the towels because housekeeping was "not yet here"! When I got there to get them, the man acted totally put out to have to get off his computer to go get me towels. Then he asked me if 2 was enough, we had 4 in our room! When he finally got me 4 towels, the top one was stained and disgusting, I asked for another one and he gave me 4 awful, small, rough pool towels! Never an apology of any kind! I will not be back.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Oklahoma City
Reviewed August 6, 2009

The staff was friendly and the room was clean. The lobby area and breakfast areas were also clean and well-maintained. Our room was clean and the furniture looked new. I noticed some minor "problems" -- such as their using white paint to do touch-up painting on off-white walls. But that didn't disturb my sleep or my visit! :) The price was reasonable and the location convenient. The breakfast was simple - juice, milk, coffee, danish/donuts, bagels, toast, cereal - but nice. I was happy with our stay.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 30, 2009

We were traveling cross country via Route 66 when we stopped in Oklahoma City for the night. We had stayed at a wonderful Microtel in Miami, OK the night before, so when we found out there was a Microtel in Oklahoma City we were there! Too bad we were very disappointed by this Microtel Hotel. The front desk girl told us they only had a smoking room left. We don't smoke, but we didn't feel like driving around looking for another hotel after a full day of driving so we took it. It seemed like we were bothering her as she was visiting with her friend while her friends wild kids were running around the lobby and in and out of the front door.

When we got to the room we couldn't believe the smell!!! I have stayed in smoking rooms before, yet I had never smelled such a strong musty, stinky, smell before in my life!!! It smelled like a moldy cigarette. We even sprayed hairspray around the room to try to cover up that stench. I was afraid to even leave our suitcase propped open all night for fear that the smell would stick to all of our clothes. My boyfriend went back down to the lobby to see if there were any more expensive non-smoking rooms that we could move to and of course the answer was no. He also noticed that our AAA discount wasn't reflected on our receipt anywhere and asked the front desk about this. He was told that he was given the discount and it just wan't itemized on the receipt. Yeah right. We stayed at a Microtel the night before for $44 w/ AAA. This one cost us $60.

The sheets had cigarette burns in them to go along with that moldy cigarette smell too. Nice touch. My boyfriend tried to use the computer in the "business center" and couldn't even get online because the computer was about 15 years old and wouldn't boot up. And when I went to lock the door the deadbolt was broken and the safety lock was busted and tearing loose from the door frame. Thank God we only stayed one night!!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ajay0876
New York
Reviewed January 20, 2009

I was on a road trip from California to New York and had a scheduled stop at Oklahoma City. I called Microtel at MacArthur Rd after reading a favorable article in USA Today about Microtel. I was expecting something beyond the ordinary based on the article. I was sadly mistaken. After finally getting checked-in...it took about 10 minutes...possibly the longest time it took for anyone to check me in. After going into my room, I noticed an unwelcoming smell. It reminded me of moldy unclean smell. The first thing I checked was the bed. The sheets were washed but had stains. I understand that this is a 2-star hotel, but I didn't expect it to be so ghetto. There were 4 pillows on the bed. I smelled each one...the two top ones did not smell like newly washed pillow cases. I immediately threw those on to the floor. You might ask why I didn't just leave...It was already 10PM and I had been driving for the past 9 hours...the last thing I need is to spend the time to find another hotel to stay in.

Everything about the hotel just screams cheap. Part of the sheet rock behind the bed was damaged and was never repaired. This experience will definitely steer me away from any Microtel hotel. I've never written a review for a hotel before. This experience prompted me to write this one to make sure no one else has this experience.

• Liked — It was close to highway 40
  • Disliked — Stained sheets, unclean pillow case, unclean room smell
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank t3knoid