“Unbelievable :(”

Renaissance Oklahoma City Convention Center Hotel
Ranked #44 of 151 Hotels in Oklahoma City
Reviewed September 19, 2012

We held a large convention here and it was trouble from the get go. Poor service all the way around. They double booked our rooms so we had many who couldn't check in, then even more who had to wait for hours after regular check in time to get their rooms. They offered "cots" and then ran out. We had 4 adult men to ONE king bed!! Several complaints from the attendee's about getting the rooms they had reserved and PAID FOR months ago! Very disappointed in this hotel. Also, when checking out, to make things even sweeter the lady at the counter was incredibly rude! I witnessed her being extremely rude to other staff members as well as customers and could NOT believe she was allowed to talk to people that way. I don't recommend this hotel to anyone, stay at the Skirvin or the Sheraton. We had several attendee's who were forced into both of those, as well as the Courtyard Marriott and they had no complaints. The only good thing I can say about this hotel is that the waitstaff in the cafe were amazing and very sweet! They always had a smile! I think the other staff could learn a thing or two from them!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Kristie L
RenaissanceOKC, General Manager at Renaissance Oklahoma City Convention Center Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Your comments are important to us and we appreciate that you have taken the time to share them with us. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the difficulties that occurred during your stay. While we never like to read that any of our guests have experienced less than friendly and professional service, we are always grateful for the feedback so that we may address the issues with our management team. We hope you'll give us another try in the future.

There are newer reviews for Renaissance Oklahoma City Convention Center Hotel

Reviewed September 17, 2012

I stayed at the Renaissance for my Birthday this weekend. It has a great location to Bricktown in OKC. You can walk to most places in Bricktown or you can use the hotels Limo. We did both. The room I stayed in was on the club level. Club level was nice because the floor was not as busy. The room its self was your average Marriott room, but the bedding smelled like it had never been washed. The front desk was not friendly, and didn’t seem to want to help with my request. The bartender was very helpful and friendly. Over all the Renaissance has been my go to place when I stay in Bricktown, but after this stay I will probably be looking at my other option.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Monica B

Although you have expressed an appreciation for our location, we are disappointed that your experience was not as you had anticipated. We are sincerely sorry that the level of service during your recent stay did not reflect the high standards of customer service that we set. We are grateful for your feedback and would like you to know that our management team is always available to all our guests should any issues arise that cannot be resolved through the staff. We hope you will give the opportunity to regain your trust in the future. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

Reviewed September 12, 2012

Our family drove from Tulsa to OKC on September 1st to visit the zoo. We reserved adjoining rooms so our toddlers could be put to bed at their bedtime while the rest of the family relaxed next door. Checking in, we were assigned a room on the 13th floor and a second room on the 5th. Explaining the basis of our reservation request, we were then assigned rooms on the same floor but separated by a concession room. Returning to the front desk, the clerk and manager explained our reservation was "just a request" and were puzzled why we were insisting upon adjoining rooms. Our family was an annoyance to these people, so we left. We will return to OKC to visit the zoo, but we will not return to Renaissance properties.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank ThomasR2W3
RenaissanceOKC, General Manager at Renaissance Oklahoma City Convention Center Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

It is extremely regretful that we were unable to accommodate your request for adjoining rooms during your recent visit to our city. It's unfortunate that we could not meet your needs and expectations and ask that you accept our sincerest apology for the inconvenience your family experienced. Thank you for sharing your experience with us, we hope that you will give us another chance in the future.

Reviewed September 8, 2012

Bad first impression when cars are backed up waiting to be valet parked. Entered the lobby and only one employee was working the registration desk. Later went to the concierge lounge (6:00) and they were out of white wine and food. Decided to stay in and ordered room service. My burger was charred and could have been used by the NHL as a puck. My wife's shrimp salad did not have any shrimp. By morning, the a/c unit finally began to cool down the room. The next morning, went back to the concierge lounge and found they again were out of food and was asked to come back in a few minutes. When I returned, they had closed 20 minutes early.

I asked the front desk clerk to speak with a manager. None was available and she asked what the problem was. I explained the above and she graciously offered free breakfast in the restaurant. I asked to have the manager call me - never heard back from them.

Room Tip: Request a room not facing the west - a/c system can not keep up with the heat load during the summer...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Dana M
RenaissanceOKC, General Manager at Renaissance Oklahoma City Convention Center Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2012

It is always our goal to deliver exceptional service and should we learn of any inconsistencies in that level of service, we are eager to hear about it so that we may use the opportunity to learn from and to strengthen our commitment to providing the best in service to each and every guest. We are sincerely sorry that your experience with us did not reflect the high standards that we have in place and hope that you will give us another chance in the future to impress you. Thank you.

Reviewed August 31, 2012

I travel 100% for business and stay primarily at Marriott property (see past reviews). I've been with Marriott for a long time and this is my first stay at a Renaissance hotel. Unfortunately, the hotel does not serve *MY* needs so your experience may be different.

Location: - The hotel is walking distance to Bricktown which offers a number of chain and local restaurant and bars. I don't normally go out after work so this was not a big influence in my review of the hotel.

Staff - The staff in general is good EXCEPT for the bellman who put my duffel bag ON TOP of my clothes that were suppose to be on a hanger. Let me explain. I left my luggage with a bellman for storage. When I picked up my luggage, I saw that my large duffel bag was put on top of my clothes on hanger that were in a zippered up plastic bag. I don't understand why the bellman would do this. I thought I gave him a good tip to take my luggage 50 feet to the storage room but I guess that wasn't enough or he thought nothing wrong of putting a 60 lb bag on top of clothes that was suppose to be hung up on a closet.

I did have another experience where I ask a front desk person to have a mini fridge delivered to my room and when I got back in the evening. The refrigerator was not there. Another call to the front desk fixed the issue in 15 minutes. I was somewhat expecting that it should not take 2 calls to have something done but things like this happen.

However,both instances gave me reason to rate the service level average for this property.

Parking - The hotel offers valet at $26/day. However you can do a self park option for 7/day to that the garage that is connected to the hotel's second floor via a air-conditioned sky bridge. I believe the self-park/self-pay option is much better value considering the walk is on a walkway above traffic and takes you directly into the hotel.

Gym - Has good selection of machines and free weights.

Rooms - I stayed at the concierge level and can say the room I stayed in was large and with a number of amenities.

** You can stop right here if you don't have access to the concierge lounge**

Concierge Lounge - For me, this was the dealbreaker that lead me away from this property. The lounge is never busy because it has very sparse food and drink offerings. The sparse applies to both the quantity and quality of the food and drink options. I think the staff probably hears this observation all the time (evidence but other reviewers on this property) that when I asked for skim milk, the response was "Sorry...We only have whole milk". I did raise the issue with the GM via an email and a response back we will have skim milk as part of the offerings. Unfortunately, I don't plan to come back to this property so I have no way of checking if this actually happened. If you are a Marriott elite member is value the concierge lounge, try either one of the full service Marriotts in the OKC area and you will not be disappointed. If you try this property, you have been warned <G>. However, if you have a different experience, please post it here in tripadvisor for me and others to see. I will be traveling to the OKC area for the next 2 years so I would love to give this property another try.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank bogeygolfer
RenaissanceOKC, General Manager at Renaissance Oklahoma City Convention Center Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

We are truly disappointed that your overall stay experience did not live up to your expectations and that our high level of service appears to have been lacking in some areas. We are grateful that you have brought these items to our attention and we apologize for any inconvenience to you. We do hope that the next time you are in OKC you will give us another try and please do not hesitate to let us know if there is anything you need during your stay.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

My husband and I met some friends downtown Oklahoma City for the night. We chose the Renaissance because they were accommodating to our military personnel. The room was very nice and spacious and clean. We had a little trouble finding parking, but other than that the hotel was very nice and the staff was friendly. We took advantage of the free limo service, which was very nice for getting to Bricktown. Overall, we enjoyed our stay and we would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ksherman86
RenaissanceOKC, General Manager at Renaissance Oklahoma City Convention Center Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

The Renaissance Oklahoma City Convention Center Hotel is honored to offer military discounts to our service men and woman to thank them for their selfless service to others. Thank you very much for your lovely review and for mentioning what a great value our limo service can be. We're delighted that you enjoyed your stay in OKC and had fun while visiting Bricktown. Please come back and see us again soon.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

My wife and I stayed here on the last day of a 7 day drive thru CO, NM, TX and OK. The hotel was very nice and the rooms were very comfortable. The location is right next to the Bricktown Area where they have the minor league ball park and tons of restaurant choices. Not predicting we will be back to OK City, but if we ever did we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank John M
RenaissanceOKC, General Manager at Renaissance Oklahoma City Convention Center Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

We do hope that you will find your way back to OKC and to the Renaissance Oklahoma City Convention Center Hotel sometime soon. Thank you very much for your review which mentions our convenient proximity to the Bricktown Entertainment District with its many dining and entertainment options. We hope to see you again soon!