“Good steak, then not so much”

The Ranch Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
The Ranch Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #25 of 1,647 Restaurants in Oklahoma City
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: On W. Britton Rd., Between Lake Hefner Parkway & N. May Ave.
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Good steak, then not so much”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

The steak I had at The Ranch was excellent. That was the good part. This is basically a Ruby Tuesdays with ordinary wine bottles on the wall. Our bill for four, with one bottle of wine and tip was $364.00. The service was awful for a restaurant with this ones pretensions. At a good restaurant you shouldn’t know the server is there, except to take your orders. We were in a booth so that is more difficult though. However I would not expect the server to lean against the back of the booth, listen to our conversation and then join in, relating his experiences. We were constantly asked if everything was all right, if we needed more ice tea, etc. If a glass is empty, fill it! If a plate is clear, remove it! The worst was, granted it's my pet peeve, we were asked to cut into our steaks to see if they were prepared properly. My wife jumped in before I could go irate and asked sweetly if their cook didn’t know how to cook steaks? I didn’t know what marketer came up with this phrase but it drives me nuts. Good thing for them I didn’t cut into it. The steaks were brought to the table in a fashion I had never seen before. They were just off the grill, not given a chance to sit, so when I did cut into it, it was rare, not medium rare as ordered, and burn the roof of your mouth hot. A good restaurant knows to let steaks sit. By the time mine cooled, it was medium rare. A good restaurant knows that steaks continue to cook after removal from heat.

Ok, good steak, obtrusive service, but how was the rest of the food. Beet salad very good, stuffed mushrooms awful, not sure if they were stuffed or not, as a quarter to half inch of glutinous cheese was melted over tiny mushrooms. Should microwaves be allowed in restaurants? Worst stuffed mushrooms ever had. Grilled asparagus I expected, hoped, to be al dente, not mushy. They weren’t mushy, just not grilled, were crunchy and stringy. No sides were finished even when I tried to palm them off on others. Rolls were good. I don’t like merlot, just tasted this wine, was muddier than usual. Other than the steaks, rolls and beets, the sides ranged from below average to bad. I would have rated higher but at this price expected everything to be good, it wasn't. Rare for me to leave so much on my plates.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank pushhard

Chicago
“Excellent food and atmosphere”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Excellent food and service. The atmosphere is like any other steak house where there are some upbeat areas and also some quiet, quaint areas.

The service was good but could've been better. We found ourselves asking for our drinks, bread etc.

Overall, wonderful place to eat just be prepared as it is pricey!

• Visited September 2012
“Come N Get it!”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

This is a good restaurant, and if you consider it's location, a GREAT restaurant! The steaks are obviously good, they have a very nice wine list with some good suggestions if you ask the waiter/waitress from California. They usually have a fish special and if you're lucky enough to go to THE Ranch when they have Chilean Sea Bass you are in for a treat. It's very nicely prepared and a great alternative to plugging your arteries with more red meat.

• Visited April 2012
Oklahoma City, OK
“Good but not worth the price”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Food was good but no way is it worth $50 a steak. Calamari appetizer was small, cheese platter was good, rock shrimp was good as well. Cocktails were good and so were desserts. 7 oz lobster prepared in broth was dry. Overall the food was good but just not special. Service is decent but not great. I prefer Mahogony's.

1 Thank WrldtrvlrThree
Edmond, Oklahoma
“The Ranch Steakhouse is a delicious dining experience!”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

My family of four ate at the Ranch Steakhouse one evening last month. The atmosphere was very old world elegant. They have valet parking and are only open in the evenings. We had porterhouse steaks, which were very good. We also shared a seafood sampler appetizer. The prices are not for the faint of heart as our tab for four, with no alcohol, was almost $200.

• Visited July 2012