“Wonderful History”

National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum
More attraction details
Owner description: A massive museum known for its Western art.
Reviewed July 3, 2009

They have really gone to no expense to make this museum a wonderful place to review some of our heritage and cowboy folklore. The price was so cheap to visit and well worth your time.

1  Thank Chuck W

Reviewed June 29, 2009

My husband and I arrived too late in the afternoon to look at much, but it looked great from the parts we did see. Seemed like a huge museum with outdoor parts as well. Security was dressed in western attire. Lots of paintings, a rodeo history section, and a part with John Wayne memorabilia. We would love to go back when we have more time! Large gift shop as well for western souveniers.

Reviewed November 2, 2008

This was a great place to visit. The price wasn't too expensive and the staff was very friendly. I found I spent several hours here and it seemed to pass by in a blink. I was pleasantly surprised by the western town inside building-a great treat for adults and children.

Reviewed October 12, 2008

This museum was great. The exhibits and hands on stuff for kids was of a high standard. Volunteer guides are on hand to answer your questions which were very helpful. The restaurant food was delicious too and be prepared for the gift shop.... it is cowboytastic! Our kids gave it a thumbs up.

1  Thank lcoles
Reviewed October 6, 2008

My husband and I arrived here with the expectation it would interest us for 2, maybe 3 hours maximum but we were totally unprepared for this place!

There is so much to see and take in. The paintings and art work in the Atherton section in particular were outstanding. Neither of us would typically spend much time in an art gallery but these were so real, you could absolutely imagine being part of it. I kept saying "oh look at that" and "Isn't that fabulous" and announcing that this was my favourite piece, that is until I saw the next one along.

The western performers gallery was great, light hearted but still very informative and of course full of stars like John Wayne and Glenn Ford. I was very successful at the interactive game identifying the tv shows of the past from their theme music - too much TV time as a child!

The rodeo gallery was very interesting, as was the American Cowboy and the Frontier Museum. There was simply so much to see and experience.

Prosperity Junction was a fun touch - a western town at dusk where you could look through the windows of buildings from the era and enter some. I though it was well done and very realistic.

Throughout the museum and the gardens there are some magnificent sculptures, especially the white marble cougar at the entrance to the art gallery and the Buffalo Bill sculpture in the grounds which is quite a spectacle, although near impossible to get a decent photograph of.

We spent almost 6 hours here - we also had lunch at the restaurant within the museum which was excellent - and I'm sure we could have spent longer. Definitely a must see when you are in Oklahoma city - even for those who "don't do museums".

2  Thank Gill68