“For smokers”

Ranked #30 of 149 Hotels in Oklahoma City
Bonaire, Georgia
“For smokers”
Reviewed July 8, 2011

Nicely revamped room but reeking like an old ashtray. We went back to the FD and the answer was: no no you have a NON smoking room, positive! Beside, if I give u another non smoking room, it s gonna be in the back and they smell worth...way worth.
Wow.
So we shoved it in our pipe and...

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nadiabertin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Amarillo, Texas
Reviewed July 6, 2011

Gave this an average rating because the room was clean, bed was comfortable, and heard no noise from other rooms. What really ruined it for us was the staff. Indifference I can take (and that's what you will get from the front desk)..but the "complementary breakfast" ...and the lady that was in charge of the dining area on the morning of 07/04/11 was RUDE and enough to make me try my luck someplace else. Never thought to double check any fine print over breakfast when I booked it on-line. Apparently ...depending on the price you paid for your room..they have a continental breakfast and a hot breakfast buffet....which all runs together one table after the other. That's were the breakfast police came in....making sure somebodies kid didn't grab bacon when they only qualify for cereal..can you imagine? We actually had the "right" color coupon for their crappy scrambled eggs but I was so offended by watching her be rude to other people that they could have kept it. Either offer the same to everyone or don't ..without the segregation. Too much competition in the area...won't stay again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Warren, Ohio
Reviewed June 28, 2011

This hotel is ok, I got a great Priceline rate so for the money it was a nice room. The layout is kind of confusing and the ice machine was not working on my floor but other than that it was a simple no fuss stay. The front desk staff was very nice and accommodating and even offered me Advil for my headache. Customer service goes a long way and I greatly appreciate someone taking an interest in my well being.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Olathe, Kansas
Reviewed June 22, 2011

I decided to take a gamble and do the prepaid Travelocity special. If you're unfamiliar with that, it works like Priceline or Hotwire - you agree to a certain price, then pay, and THEN they tell you where you are staying.

My only stipulations were that I had 2 adults and 2 kids under 2; and I just needed a non-smoking room with two beds. Upon finding that I was staying at the Wyndham Garden I was pleased; I had stayed at other Wyndham properties and had liked all of them.

But I hadn't been to this one.

The hotel was in a good location and didn't appear to be busy. Check-in was uneventful, the front desk staff were courteous, gave me two keys and circled my room on a map. We had to sign a waiver stating that we agreed to pay $250 if we smoked in our non-smoking room (cleanup fees, I suppose). The room numbering was bizarre, I had a room in the 300s that was on the first floor of a 2-floor hotel.

There was a keycard-secured external door right next to my room, which was nice since I could park out back and didn't need to walk through the whole hotel. That door seemed to be little-used, though, there was some litter in the back lot and a couple spider webs near the door. Upon arriving, we opened the room door and were greeted by the unmistakable pungent odor of stale cigarette smoke. There were a few ashtrays in the room, indicating that this was indeed a smoking room.

I returned to the front desk to inform them of the error and they said they were "all out of non-smoking rooms." I was a bit skeptical, since the hotel didn't appear to be operating anywhere NEAR capacity - and why, for the love of all things holy, didn't they mention that when I checked in?! Part of me wonders if that was something of a "we relegate you to the back corner when you don't pay full price" deal going on.

In any case, we stayed in the smoking room, though they agreed to void the smoking waiver I had signed. For the inconvenience, they offered us free breakfast coupons, which was a nice gesture.

Aside from the odor and the fact that we had to wash everything when we got home including toys and car seats, the room was pleasant. There was no tub, it had a shower only, but the beds were comfortable.

The small flat-screen TV looked nice on the wall in there, but got no reception (only snow) when I turned it on.

The swimming pool was indoors, was not overcrowded when we went on a weekend, and appeared to be appropriately maintained.

If I had to stay in the area again, however, I would probably make a different choice.

Room Tip: Don't smoke? Confirm you have a no-smoke room.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Oxford, Mississippi
Reviewed June 7, 2011

I travel extensively for work. I stay in plenty of low and high cost places and I have been in both good and bad rooms. I stayed twice in one week at this hotel, a monday and then a wednesday night. This hotel easily falls into the bad category compared to the many other choices you have on this street. The first night I came in, there there was only one front desk clerk and the line was backed up to the front door. Seven people in line in front of me. The clerk was reasonably fast - she averaged about 4 minutes per person, but if you do the math all those people add up and I was in line for about 30 minutes, starting at 9:30 at night - that's unacceptable. Then I get to my room it was only a so-so room. One problem was that the room is near the indoor pool and it was loud with dozens of children, even in the late evening - but I have kids so that was no big deal. A bigger problem was in the room where the toilet wasn't seated correctly to the pipe in the floor, so when I flushed, the water came out on the floor - no plumbing at that hour and they hotel was booked, so no changing rooms. I slept pretty good - the beds were comfortable. The breakfast was only okay. The next night I stayed across the street and the hotels are exponentially nicer and staffed better. The web photos don't really show the true story on the Wyndham Garden. I was MISERABLE the next night when I had to stay there again. Check in was fast because nobody was in line. I walked into my room and it was swampy. The linens and beadspreads were moist as were the pillow cases - apparently the entire end of the hotel was like this. Then I noticed the ash trays. I did not request a smoking room. So now I'm in a wet room that like being stuck in a smoker. I immediately went to the desk and requested a change in rooms. It was about 6pm and there were plenty of unoccupied rooms. The man at the desk said that the hotel was booked and the policy is once you are check in, on a booked up night, you can't change your room. BS. So you tell me - Broken toilet, soggy rooms, unattending staff, sub-par breakfast.... Is this what you want to pay for when you have plenty of other choices? Don't do it to yourself.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank MGeoffrey
Alexandria VA
Reviewed May 29, 2011

Solo traveler staying 3 nights. I arrived early, 1130 AM. Check-in clerk asked if I wanted one or two beds. I asked for one and was told none would be available, but I could come back at 1:30 PM. Major hassle - had to turn in one rental car, bag drag my stuff to another car. Puttered around another hour and went back. I do appreciate allowing me to check in at 1:30 PM, in advance of the 3:00 PM standard, but when I got to my room - you guessed it - TWO BEDS!! What was the point of having to do this bag drag between rental cars and burning two hours for a room I could have gotten two hours EARLIER?? Anyway - their clerks need some lessons in the hospitality industry as well. Single male traveler? What room should we assign him? I've got it! Let's give him a room RIGHT NEXT to the pool, so he can be treated to non-stop screaming kids from 9 AM to 10 PM!! BRILLIANT!! Granted, you're generally not in the room much of the time, but it's less than comforting to know that if you ARE in your hotel room TO RELAX at any time between 9am and 10pm on weekends, you'll have to deal with screaming children. It was also very infuriating when the parking lot did not appear to be more than one third full which tells me the hotel isn't entirely booked. It doesn't take a brain surgeon check-in clerk to see a solo male traveler would probably not appreciate a room with proximity to the pool. (I actually stayed at another hotel Saturday night of my Fri-Sat-Sun stay at Wyndham Garden.) But, I will say the rooms are VERY modern and comfortable, except for the noise from the pool area. The flatscreen TV would be nice if they had digital service, but being all analog, the picture wasn't very good. If you've got kids and want them to have a good time, this would be a nice hotel. If you're solo, and value peace and quiet - suggest you look elsewhere before risking getting stuck in a room near the pool.

Room Tip: Avoid the pool area at all cost!!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank tcm_crew
San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 23, 2011

Excellent hotel, great location, big clean room with comfortable bed, it's nice that our room have back door to swimming pool. Friendly staff, well worth of the money.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple