“Mixed Feelings”

Tarahumara's Mexican Cafe
Ranked #3 of 329 Restaurants in Norman
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Norman, Oklahoma
“Mixed Feelings”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

This restaurant offers traditional "TexMex" food. Margueretas and beer are served in frosted mugs. Portions are large, but slightly greasy. One order of fajitas will serve two regular appetites. However, don't get caught in the trap of responding "Yes" when asked (when splitting an order) if they can charge you for the chips and salsa----this should always be FREE!!

There are better Mexican cafes in the area if your palate is sensitive.

• Visited June 2013

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Pretty Good”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I ate at this restaurant when I first moved to Oklahoma. I remember it being very good. It was busy, however, the service was exceptional. It was kind of pricey, so I didn't go back, but they have good food nonetheless.

• Visited November 2012
“Awesome!!!”
Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

Well I visit Tarahumara's quite often, although not as often as I'd like to. I think it's awesome!!! I have never had a bad experience, EVER. Yes they're busy busy, but that says one thing... They're VERY GOOD! The staff is awesome, very friendly, and helpful. They get your food and drinks out fast and you are never without. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Tarahumara's!! Oh and Edgar and Efrain, you rock!

Bonita Springs, Florida
“Great place for a family get together”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

My hubby & I used to live in Norman before we moved to Florida so we ate at Tarahumara's Mexican Café often. So when we visit our family in Oklahoma it's a great place to meet. With 14 people (from 10 to 72) to serve, our server did wonderfully. Drinks were refilled; chips were always there; salsa & cheese sauce were replaced before we ran out & the corn tortillas were provided when requested. Everyone's delicious food was hot & fresh. That in itself is a challenge with 14 people. Their terrace is a wonderful location to chat before or after dinner IF it's not full of customers. We went on a Monday evening so it wasn't very crowded. Everyone had a great time!

• Visited September 2013
Ohio
“Good service but food is mediocre”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Highly rated on Trip Advisor and busy with a 20 minute wait, we thought this was going to be great. The food was mediocre at best. The beans were canned and had no flavor. The cheese enchilada was made in a red wrap like you buy at the grocery so can't imagine this is freshly or locally made. And the cheese - unknown but the bright orange color was unsettling and it certainly did not melt. Even the guacamole appeared to be a purchased mix rather than real avocados. The staff was very good especially considering the place was packed. And the prices were middle to low range - still too high for prepacked food. As Norman is a college town perhaps the reviews are driven by this audience. I would never go back.

• Visited September 2013