“Fun Bar with Good Food”
Review of Pub W

Pub W
Ranked #39 of 349 Restaurants in Norman
Reviewed October 28, 2013

This is a relatively new restaurant in Norman, this location has gone through several incarnations.
But this time it looks like it will stick. It is popular and busy. It has many tvs, typical of a sports bar
but the food is better than such a bar. We had oysters (Friday special) and they had a very nice
seafood special as well, not expected in typical bars. They also have a good selection of
mirco-brewed beers. We went on a Friday night and it was fun and very active.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

My husband and I went to W Pub on their opening day and since then we have been back twice. The atmosphere is great with several different options. In the front area you can sit at the bar or at the high tables in an open space around the bar. Off to the side area there is more of a restaurant style seating with tables. Outside there is a great patio with lots of seating. Upstairs there is a bar area with pool and games and it is also smoking. However, the upstairs is sectioned off with glass and has great air flow so it's not smokey at all and can be enjoyable to those who do not smoke. It also keeps any smoke smell from flowing through the rest of the place. You can see a television from any where in the place and the beer list is amazing. I typically don't like pub food but the food here is outstanding! I had a pretzel burger and my husband had the meatloaf and both were restaurant quality. I enjoyed the burger so much that I have continued to order it each time we have gone. Unlike a lot of pubs this one offers a lot more options on the menu other than burgers and sandwiches or appetizer foods. The west side of Norman really needed a great pub and now it has one. One of my new favorite places in Norman. Added bonus..... Coach Bob Stoops was there the first time we went and I hear he has also returned a few times. :)

1  Thank Donna C
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Got to put this pub in the proper frame to rate to excellent. In Norman, this is a competitor of the Gastropub and maybe Abners Pub downtown. As a comfort food, meatloaf, fried chicken, and pot roast pub, the experience is excellent. I have been here a couple of times, the atmosphere is good although a bit loud, the portions are well sized and mostly under $15, and the beer selection good and cold. They have a different blue plate special nightly.
Hal smith restaurant group may have another hit on their hands for upscale casual dining.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

We tried this place on a Saturday afternoon after some shopping. This has an excellent sports bar atmosphere with plenty of flat screens throughout. The well designed bar is the first thing you see when you enter and we sat at a high top in the bar area. Our waitress, Chelsea, took her time with us and was very knowledgeable about the menu. She answered all our questions and was patient with us while we took time to look over the menu.

My wife ordered a Mimosa and I decided on the St. Bernardus beer. The Mimosa was well prepared and very tasty. I am not much of a beer drinker but like to try new things. The St. Bernardus, a 10 point beer, was very tasty and I would definitely order it again.

We ordered the Roasted Red Pepper Hummus with pita bread. I am not much of a hummus fan, but this was very tasty and the pita bread was excellent.

My wife ordered soup and salad, choosing the Roasted Poblano Corn Chowder and the Fresh Orchard Salad. I ordered the Jalapeno Bacon Burger. The flavor of all items was excellent! The grilled jalapenos on the burger were very mild, to the point that I wouldn't have known they were on there if I hadn't seen them. I would have preferred a little more heat.

Only negative concerning the food was the size of the burger. Usually at a place of this nature and the price that is charged, you would expect a large patty...at least the size of the bun. This one, however, was quite small. Since these are made with fresh ground beef and not pre-formed, this may have been an exception and the cook just didn't make a very large patty. Nonetheless, the flavor of the burger was quite good.

I ordered the regular fries as my side, but sweet potato fries are also available. I ordered the side of cheese sauce to dip the fries in just to try something new. The cheese sauce, which I believe is made with some kind of ale, was also very good.

The pub also has an outdoor patio which was full on this day because the excellent weather. This would be a great place to get together with friends and watch a game. They have several tasty looking appetizers on the menu such as: fresh baked pretzels, pigs in a blanket, buffalo shrimp, wings, potato skins.

A couple of unique looking items were: Pub W Smothered Fries which appear to be smothered in the cheese sauce, pot roast, brown gravy, bacon, and fried egg and then the Pot Roast Potachos which are house potato chips with cheddar, pot roast, bbq, grilled jalapenos, grilled onion, and sour cream. Sounds like a culinary adventure to me!

I was told one of their more popular burgers was the Pretzel Burger which comes with a fried egg on the patty so I may have to go back and try that one out.

Their menu also contains entrees such as chipotle meatloaf, porterhouse pork chops, fish and chips, pork tenderloin, pot roast, baked salmon, shrimp tacos, and other items.

Also, if you are a beer drinker, they have something you can order that gives you a smaller size of four different beers to sample. They also have happy hour specials right now on domestics, which I believe begins at 3:00. Not sure if that is every day or only during the week.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

This is an upscale sports bar with a tremendous beer offering, plus great food. We received excellent service sitting at the bar downstairs. There is an upstairs game room too. Lots of TV's.

Been to Pub W? Share your experiences!