“Worst meal this year”
Review of Johnny Carino's Italian - CLOSED

Johnny Carino's Italian
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

Honestly, I cannot believe this place is still in business. When it first opened a few years ago, the food was actually pretty good and I enjoyed dining here occasionally. Most of the time we opt for a more authentic Italian experience but if you wanted quick Italian, this wasn't the worst you could do.

My husband and I ordered takeout last month. He had chicken parmesan and I had lasagna. We also ordered mozzarella cheese sticks and the meals came with bread and salads. Not one thing we tried tasted like real food. Everything tasted like cardboard and had no flavor at all! I couldn't believe how dramatically the quality of their food tanked. It was that bad. We dumped almost everything in the trash and went somewhere else.

I hate leaving negative reviews but save your time and money and go to the Olive Garden if you are wanting corporate Italian. Ten times better all around. Better yet, Victoria's or Othello's, both on campus, are locally owned and both delicious.

Date of visit: May 2013

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Even though we wanted to go to Jason's Deli right next door to this place, our dinner companions wanted Italian, so we decided to try Johnny Carino's Italian. WRONG CHOICE! Now, I must admit....I think I make the best Italian food in my own kitchen, but this meal was just awful. My husband ordered the lasagna, I had the cheese tortellini, and the other couple with us had spaghetti with marinara and fettucini alfredo, if I remember correctly. The food took a long time to get to our table, and it was the most bland stuff I've ever ordered. (Our salads were fine, but how difficult is it to mess up a salad?) I literally thought our food was from a can or a frozen dinner entree. The bread with the dip was okay, but I've had better. When our outrageous bill came (We had a bottle of wine, too. It was good.), I really felt like I had been ripped off, and I won't be going back to this place ever.

Date of visit: February 2013
Reviewed January 21, 2013

While the Salad and bread (oil, roasted garlic, and balsemic vinegar dip) were good, the pre-meal service was SO slow. More than 20 minutes after ordering to get a salad??? And (while we waited) it took two reminders and 10 minutes to even get bread. Then after yet another 10 minutes - by which time we had eaten the salad and were thirds on bread, having been very hungry -, the meal finally arrived.
The main dishes were BAD. The marinara sauce on my daughter's chicken parmesan tasted like tomato paste with a touch of ketchup - was the chef terrified by oregano and spices in his/her youth? Except that said chef LOVED salt, or had the top fall off the salt shaker and dumped the whole lot in on my Chickem Milano. And then the waitress missfigured the bill - we had a Facebook coupon for buy one meal get the second for $5.00 - but she just took $5.00 off the meal. Neither entree was worth anywhere near the sale price, never mind the full one!

Date of visit: January 2013