“Loud, just another beer joint”

Das Boot Camp Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #15 of 347 Restaurants in Norman
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I took my family to this new place and took to time to wait for seating and a some what clean table. The waiter wanted to get a us to buy couple of large beers - my daughter said when he left, "Guess he wants us drunk". The servings were small, the croutons on the salad were dried out pretzels - like rocks! Whatever, just another beer drinks place with a somewhat German theme. Loud, no warmth, Bison Witches has better food and character. Sorry, das hoot.

1  Thank Steve J
sntlnd, General Manager at Das Boot Camp Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2013

Thanks for your review. I'm sorry to hear that you were offended that your server suggested trying one of our handcrafted beers. By no means were we suggesting that we wanted to get you or anyone else drunk. It was merely a suggestion as most restaurants will ask if you would like to start out with something from the bar. We feel that our portions are quite generous especially considering the low cost of our meals but I respect your opinion. I do hope you will give us another try and possibly find a different menu item more to your liking.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

I really enjoyed my visit to this restaurant they had a wonderful little taste of the beers and I can get my own flight and the German food was very good.. The only complaint... a little more bacon in the German potato salad but overall a great experience... We stayed for a long time talking and enjoyed the atmosphere

Thanks for your recent review. I'm glad that you liked our restaurant so much. Please visit us again soon.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

I really like German food, and Norman has been without a German restaurant (except for a brief period in the late 1980s) since I came here in the 1950s. Das Bootcamp, admittedly a strange name, is a fantastic place. I have eaten there at least 6 times since it opened, and every meal -- every one -- has been outstanding. Today I had the rotisserie chicken. In a matter of just moments, it was delivered to my table hot (too hot to touch), with perfectly cooked skin and tasty meat. I'm always worried about chicken, whether it be too raw or too done and dry. This was perfect, with hot, clear, tasty juice lightly running out. The skin was perfectly browned and crisp, and way too good to pass up. Normally this dish is served with German potato salad, but I love spaetzle (a German potato noodle) and the waiter substituted it at my request without fuss or extra charge. The spaetzle was topped with mushroom cream gravy, an outstanding compliment to the chicken. This was one of the best meals I've ever had, even in Germany. In the past I've tried the sausage plate (not for light appetites), and the jaeger schnitzel. I wish there was a pan fried chicken schnitzel on the menu, but the pork schnitzel makes me forget about my love for chicken. No, I am not the owner of this place, nor do I work there. It's just a great place. There is a large selection of beer on tap (which I have yet to try, but I will, someday soon). Finally, it is a locally owned restaurant, which is important to me. But I understand the family has strong German roots, so that's the best of both worlds for me. Almost forgot -- the bread basket, with a roll and a couple of pretzels, is a bargain and a wonderful appetizer. Don't fill up on the bread, though, because the food is just too good.

We appreciate your recent review of Das Boot Camp. I'm very happy you have enjoyed your visits so much and we look forward to seeing you very soon! Thanks!!

Reviewed January 5, 2013

Many years ago I spent several months in Germany. I fell in love with their culture and their food. Living in Oklahoma one's choices for good German food is limited. I happy to say that I have found a great place and it is less than a block from my office. Das Boot is a relatively new restaurant by the people that have the Bavarian place on Sooner Rood in SE Oklahoma City. I had the Wiener schnitzel and it was super. My companion had a sausage/kraut dish and it looked great too. I will be back often. If you are looking for authentic German food, give Das Boot a try.

Thanks so much for the great review! Being a block from your office I'm sure we'll see you soon.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

I made my first trip to Das Boot Camp on my recent trip to Norman after seeing it posted by friends on facebook. After starting with an Octoberfest style beer (in a boot) my table shared a sausage plate and a pretzel as an appetizer, bother were fantastic. I had the burger, it was a brawtwurst patty with german mustard and saurkruat, FANTASTIC!!!!! The atmosphere was great with tables and tvs within view for everyone. Das Boot Camp will be added to my rotation of resturants to visit when I come back to Norman

sntlnd, General Manager at Das Boot Camp Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Thanks for your recent review of Das Boot Camp. I am very happy that you enjoyed our restaurant, food and beer so much. We hope to see you again on your next visit to Norman.