“Excellent food !”

Pei Wei Asian Diner
Ranked #106 of 351 Restaurants in Norman
Cuisines: Asian
Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I dine here at least once a week. Food and service are excellent. The pad thai is my favorite as are the Veitnamese chicken salad rolls. The food is always hot and fresh. The place is always clean and tidy. You'll have a good dining experience here !

Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

I've dined in at this location and carried out also. Carry out is accompanied with a nice setup if your not dining at home. Menu, I have difficulty not venturing off the Kung Pao chicken since this is the only place I order it. Most family, friends, and coworkers I have dined here with like to sample each others meal selection and everything I've tasted is great. My daughter is a Pad THAI fan and loves it.

Restaurant is located next to what has become the busiest shopping area in town. If you can arrive a few minutes before the lunch rush it will add pleasure to your experience. You stand in line to place your order. Food gets to you quickly. Very clean restaurant but dining can be tight. Not a quiet atmosphere to have a crucial conversation. Limited outside dining, but this tends to be a windy area and noisy.

You get hour own silverware and drinks. There is a multi selection soda machine that people find interesting. I like the chilli and hot mustard sauce you can take to your table.

If your in the area shopping and want to have quick lunch or dinner that tastes great, I highly recommend. Great customer service and competent staff.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Positives: consistently good food, comfortable facilities, great value
Negatives: parking and seating often cramped at meal time

Pei Wei restaurants are remarkably consistent across the chain, but there are subtle variations in the way food is prepared. This particular store is our favorite in the central Oklahoma area.

Location and Parking -

This restaurant sits in the middle of what has become "the" retail district in Norman, just north of Tecumseh on 24th Avenue NW. It occupies the end of a shopping center, behind a free-standing Panda Express. (Interestingly, Panda Express obscures Pei Wei from the view of passing motorists.)

Because the area is so popular, parking can be cramped.

Decor -

Outside, the restaurant looks like the rest of the shopping center. Inside, it features a modern Asian motif. The concrete floor is painted red. Chairs are black. Interesting monochromatic photos of Asian peoples and scenes dot the walls. It's not rustic, not formal. We feel comfortable eating there.

The dining area is very compact. Most tables are set up for two patrons. Of course, they can be pushed together for larger groups. Walkways between tables are small. The largest booths only seat four.

Pei Wei does offer outdoor dining on two sides of the restaurant, but given noise from 24th Avenue and nearby Interstate 35, I can't recommend eating outside. We did sit there once because the wait for inside tables would be too long.

Facilities have always been clean, but we did observe one "no-no" during a visit in 2011. Employees were cleaning the exhaust vent over the grill while food was being prepared. My wife, a veteran of food service, refused to return for some time afterwards. We eventually gave them another try, and haven't seen anything like that since.

Menu and Food -

Customers order at a central counter near the front of the restaurant. Three large video menu boards list standard entrees and specials.

Pei Wei offers dishes from a variety of Asian cuisines: Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Thai, and Vietnamese. Everything we've tried has been very good; they use high-quality ingredients and prepare them the same almost every time. For my money, this location serves the best Pad Thai...period.

Customers wanting smaller meals or more value can order "combo" meals that feature reduced entree' portions and include an appetizer. Items from this part of the menu have become a family favorite. We regularly took left-overs home when we ordered standard entrees, but no more.

Prices are hard to beat, particularly for the quality of the experience. We usually order edamame and crab wontons plus an entree or combo meal for each person. For all that, we only spend about $8.50 per person.

Service -

Servers bring food to tables, provide napkins and plates, and to-go boxes, They really hustle. They have no time for chit-chat, but are professional during the short time they're at a table.

Customers fill their own drinks from two Coca-Cola "Freestyle" fountains. Lemon and orange slices are available for folks that want them. The drink counter also contains silverware, fortune cookies, and jars of seasonings like hot pepper sauce. This arrangement no doubt helps contains cost.

The Bottom Line -

Although Pei Wei isn't a "formal" Asian restaurant with white tablecloths and soft music, it has an elegance of its own. The food is very good, the price is great, the service quick. We return often and will continue to do so. If you're looking for a very good meal in Norman, Pei Wei is a great option.

1  Thank The_Real_Birdcatcher