“Good food nice atmosphere”

Blackbird Gastropub
Ranked #32 of 347 Restaurants in Norman
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

Stopped in here on our way out of Norman. We almost didn't stop as parking is almost non-existent. This is *just* north of the OU campus and even in the 'off' season it's crowded.

The atmosphere is nice; an older building done very nicely. Food is good solid fare. We both had burgers, they were both thick and juicy.

Service was slow. I felt like we had to remind our server that we were here. The place was not overly crowded so really no excuse.

Overall good food, nice place. Slow service, crappy parking

1  Thank Karen B

Reviewed April 24, 2013

I went with a large group here and we had a long table set up for us. I had the salmon salad and it was delicious. A lot of people had the shepherds pie and loved it. No one complained about any of their food and all plates were cleaned. The waitress was a little slow on drink refills once we got our food but otherwise an enjoyable experience.

It was lunch time and they weren't very busy.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

We stopped in here after visiting the Sam Noble Natural History Museum. I had never been to a " Gastropub " it was mid-afternoon and we had the kids with us. I imagine the evening atmoshere is quite different. We had an awsome meal. The kids loved their meals. A definate stop when in Norman.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

This easygoing spot was the perfect choice for two out-of-towners after a day of sightseeing and driving. No attitude, no complicated, pricey entrees, just old-fashioned, satisfying pub food at a (mostly) reasonable price, dished out by cheerful people who seem to know what they're doing. This kitchen won't win any originality contests, but everything we ordered was tasty--pot roast, shepherd's pie, a brussels sprouts side cooked in cream with apples and bacon, There's a decent selection of wines by the glass; scotch choices go on forever. Now back to that matter of the prices. An entree with sides costs as little as $9-16, but desserts are surprisingly pricey. We weren't shown a menu when we ordered our desserts--and were amazed to see that my hiusband's chocolate cake cost more than his main course. The total tab was still reasonable, but a place as enjoyable as this one should not be hitting diners with unpleasant surprises. Even so, we'll be back if we pass this way again.

1  Thank Gelatifan
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Upon entering you are welcomed by an interesting attractive space in which to dine. Gastropub is a good description because the menu features items you would find in an English pub along with more traditional American pub fare, but prepared carefully and tastefully to produce a fun dining experience. I chose the garlic meatloaf and it was absolutely delicious, with a huge serving of meatloaf accompanied by real mashed potatoes and sauteed brussell sprouts in some sort of "to die for" cream sauce. I tried not to eat all the mashed potatoes but I was doomed, I couldn't stop. My wife had a perfectly prepared pork chop, mashed potatoes (I volunteered to help her eat hers as well) and sauteed carrots that she ate to the last piece. Wine was reasonably priced with a nice variety of choices and if you want to sample scotches and whiskeys, this is the place, with a huge menu of choices. It is a lively atmosphere with diners and drinkers interspersed throughout, happily mingling. We were in town for the KU-OU game and although the game wasn't to our liking, the dining sure was. We will eat here again for sure the next time we are in Norman.

2  Thank Mick046