“Overdone; Overpriced”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 6, 2012

I have eaten here before in the evening and had good luck, so perhaps this was a one-time problem.
A friend and I went here on July 4th. It was one of the only places open in Norman. Seating was not a problem, but our server was. When she came to the table, I asked for the vegetarian menu (which is available upon request). I like that they do that, by the way. I asked for water and my friend asked for iced tea. The server smelled of alcohol and when she came back with the drinks (which she set in front of the wrong people), she asked "Are you ready to order?". Uh no. Can I have that vegetarian menu? "Oh (giggle), sure. Sorry". Acting adorable when you screw up doesn't cut it with heterosexual adult women.
I ordered a salad, which came out smothered in feta and dressing to the point that I couldn't taste the asparagus, soy beans or spinach (which were the only ingredients). My friend had better luck with the fontina and mushroom hamburger.
The bill was $35. For a salad, hamburger, mediocre pot stickers and some iced tea. Not exactly a value. The bar looked amazing though- maybe it's better just to come in for some drinks and appetizers.

Reviewed July 2, 2012

Excellent restaurant featuring but not limited to pub food. We have travelled in the UK a lot and have eaten in pubs all over the place. This is the best US equivalent we have discovered, by far. In April we brought three couples from Claifornia and Washington state to the Blackbird. These folks patronize top rated restaurants at home. At our suggestion they all ordered pub food (fish and chips, bangers and mash, beef stew, shepherd's pie), and lapped it up with many compliments----including the reasonable prices. My favorites---a delightfully seasoned shepherd's pie or a spicy seafood stew. Good bar, which can produce a very very very (yes, three of them) dry martini. Big selection of beers. Service is by young people, most of them students, who seem to like their work and the patrons they serve. By George, after writing this I believe I'll take my wife there tonight.

Reviewed June 23, 2012

This place is great!!! The meatloaf sliders and fancy Mac - cheese were delecious!! The drinks are fresh and original great whiskey selection!!

Reviewed May 11, 2012

I came upon this restaurant by accident and am delighted I did. The ambiance is relaxed, cool and neat. The food is wonderful, comfort food. I had a great salad and pot roast. There was enough pot roast for 2 meals. It was not like Mom used to make, but it was pretty darn good. I do not live anywhere close, but want to return as soon as possible! The service was friendly and efficient. I like the place!

Reviewed March 29, 2012

The Blackbird joins the top echelon of restaurants in Norman for the best dining experience. I was happy to see it arrive because there are a limited number of really good places to eat here.
It is located across from the OU campus, so there is a younger crowd, but a reasonable number of older types also appreciate the varied menu. The decor is interesting and the drink list extensive.