“Outstanding BBQ”

Ray's Smokehouse BBQ
Ranked #2 of 335 Restaurants in Norman
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed August 3, 2014

After having an unpleasant experience at a "well known" BBQ joint in Davis, OK, it's good to know that Ray's is nearby to satisfy my BBQ fix. Quality product at a fair price and a staff that really do care that you are there and care if you come back. Success hasn't gone to their head. They still care -

2  Thank Daryl C
There are newer reviews for Ray's Smokehouse BBQ

Reviewed June 9, 2014

We stopped here on the way to Dallas on a Sunday evening because of the glowing tripadvisor reviews. There are four in my family and we all got different things. Older son had ribs and double french fries. The ribs were very tender and he said they tasted great. The fries were good. Younger son had a grilled chicken sandwich with fries. The sandwich was okay, but the grilled chicken was tough. Husband had a pulled pork and polish sausage combo with fried okra and "spicy" green beans. Pulled pork tasted good but was dry, after adding BBQ sauce it was good. The polish sausage was excellent, the fried okra was fairly tasteless. According to him the green beans tasted like they were straight out of the #10 can, not a bit spicy. I had a sliced brisket sandwich with creamy coleslaw. The brisket had good flavor and was tender enough, just okay; BBQ sauce made it much better. The slaw had evidently been around for a couple of days. The flavor was not very good, and it was not particularly creamy either. They BBQ sauce on table was good, spicy but not too hot. Overall, the meat is good but the sides not so great, at least the ones we tried.

1  Thank Odyssey2002
Reviewed June 4, 2014 via mobile

Local cops recommended this gem to me. I had a very late lunch, 3pm. I was the only one in there. But wow, the ribs were incredible. Added some corn on the cob, green beans and iced tea.

I asked for hot bbq sauce and was warned. It was spicy as heck. I wimped out and mixed in some mild! If I time it right. I might have lunch again here today before I leave town. Outstanding.

1  Thank Scott_FItzpatrick
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Based on other reviews, we stopped for lunch on our way through Norman. Not far at all off the interstate. Had the pulled pork and ribs combo; excellent. I highly recommend as a break from chain food.

Reviewed March 12, 2014

There is not one a better place to get BBQ. We love to eat in or carryout this food. Ray is wonderful! This is our family's favorite restaurant in Norman after nearly 30 years here. Don't hesitate, if you're in the area, THIS IS THE LOCAL'S GEM! You won't be sorry. Ribs fall off the bone! Ray treats everyone with great service & smile :)

1  Thank kelcope