“Excellent food, lame service.”

Gaberino's Homestyle Italian Restaurant
Ranked #83 of 327 Restaurants in Norman
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Description: We are a family owned and operated restaurant, serving made from scratch Italian Cuisine, including handmade pasta and Seasonal Specials. Come casual with your family or dress up for a romantic date night. We offer a ariety of high point beers and our wine list is comprised of the best Italian Wines selections. Order our French Press Coffee and enjoy with our made in house Italian Cream Cake or other desserts from local vendors like il Dolce Gelato and La Baguette Bakery. Join us for our delicious Sunday Brunch served from 11am-2pm. Call us for take out and take and cook meals! We look forward to serving you!
Norman, Oklahoma
“Excellent food, lame service.”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

We have tried to give this place a chance, several times. We love the food. When available, it's always consistant. The stuffed mushroom caps are amazing.

The wait staff are consistently a bunch of frazzled clueless 20 year olds. Ripped jeans, messy t shirts, and lost when it comes to beer or wine, or even the concept of keeping the water glasses full, or clearing the dirty dishes off the tables when people are done eating. The wine pours are always very light. I have never seen a manager of any type in the dining room.

The last time we went, right before Christmas, they apparently had a large catering job earlier in the day, as they were out of Lasagna, Manicotti, the specials, and even the Marinara (red) sauce!! I can't imagine the catering event walked in, unannounced that same day! Just seemed like poor planning on their behalf. The place was packed with holiday shoppers like us, and we were surrounded by disappointed patrons like us. They did offer us free desserts for our trouble. We took home a slice of cheesecake.

Lots of potential, but they need some management with experience to whip the place into shape.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Ditusar

“Just okay”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Small and tucked away in a shopping center, but quiet and comfortable. Our young waiter was very friendly but incredibly scatterbrained, and half the time he was already moving away from the table before we were finished (he asked if we wanted dessert, and when one person said yes and ordered he was halfway down the hall before we could call him back and let the rest of us order). The cheese bread was fine but tasted frozen. My pasta was served with Alfredo instead of the pink sauce I ordered, so they sent me a little bowl of pink sauce and I had to mix it in. Annoying, inconvenient and unprofessional. The wine was good, but they served me warm Pinot Grigio in a cold glass. The highlight of the evening was the tiramisu - which they import from La Baguette. Probably won't return.

• Visited September 2013
Noble, Oklahoma
“Great food”
Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

A friend recommended that I give this place a try. I got the chicken lisagna and my wife got the margarita pizza. It was great, best lisagna I have had in a long time and the pizza was perfect. The tomatoes and basil were fresh which made the pizza that much better. A must try in Norman, best Italian in the city.

• Visited September 2013
Florida and Oklahoma
“Gaberino's has a Secret Menu”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

First time visitor to this place with four other girlfriends for lunch. Overheard another table ordering off the child's menu. What a secret. Almost never allowed in restaurants. Not only that, but you can order a half adult portion for a little more than half the price. A whole sub (which is 6" fabulous baguette) is $9, my half was $6.50. I had a half Italian sub with salad (all sandwiches come with soup or salad). It was delicious, really stuffed with meat and veggies and the dressing was spot on. It rivals Jersey Mikes and that is my favorite. My friend had the full veggie sub and she loved it, perfect roasted veggies (she took half home). Another had a make your own pasta regular portion and she took half home also. The portion was huge. Most pasta items are $9. Another had a half portion pasta and salad. The child's portion ($4) comes in a little ramekin about the size of a soup bowl. A great way to try a new thing. Service was attentive, it was a slow day. I agree with the person who criticized the two top table. It is way too small for comfort. Hopefully they will only use them in a pinch. Did not see any owners on our visit. It was raining so no outdoor seating that day, but the music is piped outside. Will definitely return.

• Visited August 2013
“Out of sight!”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

This little restaurant may not be on the beaten path but it is well worth the trip. Off of Main Street in a little strip of shops it has some of the best Italian in town for sure! Have eaten there several times for lunch with girlfriends and also for dinner with the husband. At lunch you can't go wrong with any of their salads and I love the tomato basil soup. Also had a veggie sandwich that was delicious! I did the "create your own" pasta at dinner and it was fantastic. Everything is fresh and really has great spice and seasoning. So many Italian places just are afraid to step up and use all those flavorful spices. Not Gaberino's. They get it right!

Visited July 2013