“Select Another!”

Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Midwest City
Denver, Colorado
“Select Another!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2010

I always thought the Sheraton meant near luxury; good service, and amenities. Not so at this one. I was there with my mother for a large family reunion. $10/night additional or a refrigerator, No microwave! My mother's bed was changed with sheets that smelled of urine! Instead of paying our group rate we paid an AARP rate, ($10/night less) and we were told we would not be eligible for the free breakfast afforded the rest of our group unless we paid the additional $10. We were only left one face towel, on the second day and had to request clean towels after the first night. Free internet in the lobby where they blocked popular sites like Ebay but for $5.95/night you could get unlimited access in your room!

On the good side, the grounds are beautiful and the conference center, Reed Center, was very nice. We had our banquet there but the room was freezing, which was bad enough for me but even worse for the elderly who attended.

We would have been happier staying at a Comfort Inn or Sleep Inn.

• Stayed July 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2010

The hotel is upscale, clean and convenient. Basically, we felt the hotel is about 10 years behind in policies. Nearly all hotels now include at least a continental breakfast. Breakfast was not included with our room but the restaurant hadthe usual buffet fare for $8.95 from 6:00 AM to 11:00AM. We arrived at the restaurant at 10:30 and most of the food was getting old and dried out. There were only two each bath towels, hand towels, and wash cloths, local phone calls were $1.50, long distance was actual cost plus 85%, if you wanted to watch a tv program from last month the charge was $4.99, $14.99 for a first run movie. Overall the room was a 8 out of 10 and the rest was a 5. We don't feel we got what we expected from a Sheraton Hotel. We'd recommend this hotel with some reluctance.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
chicago, IL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2010

This hotel was not up to par when compared to even what is considered an average hotel. However they call it luxury or world class. I stayed in this hotel for about 1 week du ring a recent trip so I got a good idea of how they worked.

FRONT DESK:
the service at the front desk was lackluster to say the least. There was always a line if you needed something and they weren't all that helpful. At one point I needed to mail something and no stamps available for purchase. I have been to lots of hotels and all have basic mailing or shipping items. Another time I wanted to buy a soda from the store and as usual there was a line. 2 people were working the desk and 1 was checking in someone slowly while the other was talking with some friend. After a while the second one came over and asked if I needed something. I advised I was buying the soda and he then said I needed to waijt for the other one and he went back to talking. Service just not there for several reasons and these are just two.

FOOD:
I didn't eat at at the hotel for dinner, but had 8 breakfasts there. All I can say is groundhog day. The breakfast was the exact same everyday without any change - powdered scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, some fruit, assorted pastries, biscuits and gravy, waffle machine, and the same exact hash browns. The food was not bad but it was not good either and some change would have been nice. I'd stay away from the eggs. The staff in the morning was always friendly and efficient in comparison to the front desk. The price for the breakfast was hefty I thought if it was not free with your room. The charge was $8.95 if not part of your room which would be high for this in my opinion when most fair fields or hamptons offer this same spread for free always.

ROOMS:
the rooms were sizable but poorly laid out. There was no closet to put anything and pa stand alone wardrobe only had room for hanging items and no drawers. There was a desk to work at which was large and nice but there was no way to work at the desk and look at the tv. The tv was ok but again not too many channels available. The rooms did not come with any kfridge or microwave. Wireless Internet was available but $5.95 per day. Again another service offered for free at many hotels. Beds were fine and overall room was clean. The bathroom Lso poorly designed and had no vanity drawers or places to put anything except on top and doorway slanted at a weird angle when trying to use - the light switch is outside and in the entry area of room vs bath.

The times maid service came they didn't refresh anything from the soap, TP or even towels. I had to go ask at the desk which as above not all that helpful.

I would not stay at this hotel again if I had the option. You can get much more from even average hotels than this one.

OVERALL:
I was not impressed

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2010

The only word that comes to mind after my recent stay at the Sheraton Midwest City Hotel at the Reed Conference Center is “wow.” I have stayed at numerous Starwood properties over the years, having had mainly positive experiences, and really only one negative highly negative opinion to date (of the Four Points near New Orleans’ airport)… but this hotel is in a class of it’s own.
Of course, the only way this hotel has any class is the leather chair and spacious wooden desk provided in each room.
From my brisk and detached check-in to my rushed check-out, I would not only avoid staying at this property in the future, even to the point of booking with the Motel 6 nearby, but also I have already warned all of my Starwood affiliated friends and associates away from this hotel.
Not only was my stay aggravating rather than relaxing, the embarrassment and stress of having my girlfriend witness this representative of the Starwood program fail to meet any expectation was substantial. My only hope for not having her recommend that we stay at a Hilton or Hyatt, both which have given me Gold status even without my staying at their properties half as often as I stay at Sheratons only (not including my stays at Westins, etc.), is that she has stayed with me at the beautifully run Westin on Beale Street in Memphis.

1. The floor of the bathroom was filthy. Were the vile appearance of the handicapped bathroom only because of the lack of aesthetics in a plastic seat jutting into the sink area and a curtain the looked like it came from a dorm shower, it may have been tolerable, but it wasn’t even clean.
2. When I raised concerns of the improperly working room phone (it took me three tries to even get the phone’s “guest services” button to work, and one of the phones never worked), and other issues with the room, I was curtly told that I was lucky to have a room because someone “blocked me into a room before [the desk attendant] arrived.” Apparently, conference attendees filled every other room in the hotel, and I was trapped in the broken, dirty, cosmetically unfortunate room.
3. Having participated in Mensa Regional Gathering since the third grade, I am familiar with boisterous conferences. The loud, persistent sound of people laughing and yelling outside of my room and running up and down the hallways was far beyond reasonable. It continued throughout the night preventing me from getting a decent bit of sleep. Were I to have had an accident driving after such a racket due to slow reaction time or sleepiness, I would attribute the liability to the hotel staff for not ensuring a modicum of control of the amount of noise and length of time it persisted.
4. I like to run water through the coffee maker once before adding more water and the coffee packet. This is the first time I’ve actually had grounds or dirt of some type come out while rinsing! Running the machine three times before actually putting in the packet was tedious and should have been unnecessary.
5. The maid came by and knocked and attempted to open the latched door three times between nine and ten in the morning. Seriously, isn’t the Gold Preferred Guest checkout time after noon? What is the purpose of the “Privacy switch?”
6. The “lounge” was a cramped and cluttered room immediately exiting the elevators of the fifth floor. Every time I exited the elevator while bringing in my luggage, some kids were playing at the tables which forced me to squeeze around them given the closeness to the elevator doors. Also, there were pizza boxes and trash there for at least two hours given the time elapsed between my first and final trips downstairs. There was no coffee in any of the three urns, and the only decent lounge amenity was the television, which was blocked by people snuggling on the sofas and standing around every time I passed. At checkout, around 2pm on Sunday, the pizza boxes were still stacked in the lounge, along with more trash.
7. Dust was everywhere. In my room and in the lobby, I sneezed continuously. After I left the hotel, my sneezing stopped. Of course this indicator was unnecessary because the amount of dust and grime on the hotel walls, base boards, and nearly everything else was easily visible.
8. Mr. Kordel gave me my welcome letter at my departure. He was the most polite of the staff I interacted with during my stay. Still, and maybe because he knew the right answer, he did not ask about my experience. He also said that they “owed me a penny,” and asked if I wanted it. Could he not have pointed out the mistake of the hotel in over billing me (not a significant sum unless it is a policy done with each guest used to net the hotel an extra few thousand dollars a year) while simultaneously just crediting my card?
While a complimentary stay is order given that I paid for a stay that even a homeless person would have complaints about, I wouldn’t stay at this hotel again if it was free and they gave me breakfast in bed each day. Some of that is due to the fact that if the bathroom is filthy, how could I expect the flatware and plates to be clean, and some of it being that the overall quality of the hotel ends with its exterior appearance. Other aspects making another stay at this hotel an impossibility relate to the absence of courtesy or competence among the staff members.
Though there are many other complaints and rhetorical questions I could raise, hopefully this writing makes clear my feelings on the Sheraton at Reed Conference Center’s Starwood status, especially when contrasted with Liz at the Four Points at Will Rogers airport. I have just had a great night’s sleep at the Four Points at the Will Roger’s Airport. Liz, the desk attendant checking us in was polite, professional, and expressed a genuine interest in the quality of our stay. She deserves an award for making both my girlfriend and me feel welcome and somehow subtly conveying what our expectations should be, while meeting those expectations. How is it that the “cheaper” property has better staff? Though the room didn’t have the same amenities like flat screen television, second phone, or large bathroom… it was clean! Liz did an excellent job of preparing us for the type of room we’d be staying in, and at this price, with complimentary internet service, she even exceeded our stay expectations.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2010

This hotel is located in a suburban Oklahoma City area adjacent to a conference center and some discount mall shopping. Although the hotel appears reasonably new, our room showed signs of premature aging and some shoddy housekeeping. Our chief complaint, however, was the odor in the lobby from not one, but two of those scent machines that some hotels including this one are using. The hotel has a nice lobby area with a fireplace and very friendly staff, but upon entering, one's first impression is to be blown away by the artificial scent from the stink machines. If you like the smell of cheap mens cologne, you will love the scent put out by the machines. Seriously, if you have any allergies, are prone to headaches, or just don't appreciate strong fake odors, avoid this hotel.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ChicagoGrandpa
San Jose
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2009

I booked the rooms online a few months in advance and then had to change one to handicapped at the last minute. They were very accomodating on that and were very good about emailing confirmations both right away and the week before. When we arrived everyone raved about how nice the rooms were (we had 6 rooms). They were even nicer than they looked online. Our bed was very comfortable and everything was clean and fresh. The bedding was on the newer side - not old and funky. Had a nice comforter instead of a bedspread and lots of fluffy pillows. LCD TV, nice desk area, good AC and shower was nice (not prickly and didn't take any time to get hot water for us).
On Friday night they had a nice little Jazz band in the bar area and we enjoyed having a glass of wine (good selection of wines) next to the fireplace in plush chairs while listening and visiting. On Saturday, after the wedding, everyone decided impromptu to come back to our hotel for dinner (an afternoon wedding over at 4PM). We ended up with about 30 people showing up and the restaurant personnel were soooooo good. They got two long tables set up for us quickly and started taking orders. The food was good and didn't take nearly as long as I would have expected given the # of people. The wait staff was friendly and efficient - they did such an excellent job we tipped over the amount they included on the automatic tip. We also ate breakfast there two mornings which was good and included Starbucks brand coffee.
When we got ready to leave I wanted to confirm my flight and was surprised that they had two really nice PCs in the lobby with a printer attached so I was able to print our boarding passes right there to avoid the hassle at the airport. When my brother checked out of his room they said they made some kind of mistake on his bill and didn't have the correct rate we had booked it with, so they didn't charge him at all (for two nights!). Amazing - who does that? So, all in all, we were very happy with it. My siblings said that I was in charge of all trip planning from now on since I had booked this gem.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Fayetteville Arkansas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2009

OUR INFANT HAD TO SLEEP ON THE FLOOR! Upon arrival at 11:30 -12:00 we checked in, then went up to our room. There are only double beds, so don't be surprised. When we realized that our infant could NOT sleep in a double bed with us, we called down to the front desk. The night clerk expressly told me 3 times that not only did he NOT know where the cribs were, but that he was the only one in the hotel after 10:00 so he couldn't leave his desk to get one regardless and that he didn't know how to assemble either. I plaintively told him my husband would be happy to assemble, if we could just get a crib, and was there anyone at all that he could call to ask where they were in the hotel? He expressly told me "no".After almost BEGGING for help with no avail, my infant had to sleep on the floor of a hotel room for her own safety. Still waiting on a call from a manager a week later. The front desk ladies the next morning were super apologetic and sent us a basket with cookies, fruit etc, along with providing the crib. They stated that the night clerk was known to be lazy. You think?

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Midwest City
La Quinta Inn & Suites Midwest City - Tinker AFB
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Midwest City
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Midwest City Tinker Afb
BEST WESTERN PLUS Midwest City Inn & Suites
Hampton Inn I-40 E (Tinker Air Force Base)
Candlewood Suites Midwest City

Been to Sheraton Midwest City Hotel? Share your experiences!